Miscellaneous Rumbles

Open mic.

First off I should mention that I am an old guy (but I don't look or think like an old guy) I'm in my 70's. I quit playing in bands about a year ago. Not because of age but because I'm tired of playing in country and old blues bands. So now I frequent open mic nights in a local bar. There have been some good jams there but tonight was by far the best (band) I have ever played with. When everyone showed up there were two guitars, bass, drums, singers and three horn players. I expected Herb Alpert and other songs along that line but most was like Chicago 25 or 6 2 4 And a lot of newer songs (not heavy metal or hiphop but hard rocking songs) A lot of what we played I didn't know but I picked up on them after a few masures. I brought my Gretsch 5120 But I would have been better off with a solid body. It was the most rocking night I ever had. Just fantastic.
When you think you played it all,,,,think again. Go to the local open mics. Some may be bad but when you hit a good one you willl be hooked, no matter how old you are.

Oh yeah, Pt!

I met my sax player that way. He had come out to the open mic, had his sax on the table, but I noticed he didn't sign up. We had a throw together band playing some of my tunes that we all knew, and on about the second song, I see this guy clutching his sax, just waiting to come up, so when the lead guitar player, I wave this guy up, and he runs, like a kid that fell behind the gang, up to the stage.

When he starts to blow, the room is knocked out! This guy was a ringer. A pro, and man, could he wail. The room was electrified by him, and he was elated to be up there with a band that could keep up.

It turns out he's been playing since before I was born, and was one of the sax players in the Viscounts, who you might remember from "Harlem Nocturne" fame.

He wound up practicing with us and playing several gigs before moving an hour and a half away.

Love when that happens. It's rare, and you're lucky to have been in a great room full of players, congrats.

The " Hellecasters" basically were formed in a similar fashion. Many pros would get together at a bar once in awhile to jam. Three of them took it one step farther, and we got on helluva band out of it.

I've done a couple of open mikes---they can be good or bad. Check one out without playing, come back the next week if it appeals to you. At the least, it'll give you a night out of the house.

That description sounds more like a "jam" session than an open mic, but as long as it was a blast, carry on.

...------

Good times. You in South Jersey by any chance, Pt?

Good times. You in South Jersey by any chance, Pt?

– Billy D Light

I'm in Northern Illinois.

Where in Northern IL, Pt? My normal circuit is Chicagoland, but we do a once a year show near Lake Geneva at a local pub the last Saturday of July.

Where in Northern IL, Pt? My normal circuit is Chicagoland, but we do a once a year show near Lake Geneva at a local pub the last Saturday of July.

– Neal Rudnik

I'm from Chicago but moved to the country when I retired. Now I'm in Oregon Illinois.

Register Sign in to join the conversation