Miscellaneous Rumbles

call for guitarists to perform in George Harrrison tribute (While 1…

Montreal composer Tim Brady has written a piece for a 100 guitar orchestra called, "While 100 Guitars Gently Weep," and performances will take place in Toronto in June as part of the 2018 Luminato festival. From what I know so far, anyone who is at an intermediate level, has some experience playing with others, can follow a conductor, and has basic music reading skills can audition. The orchestra will be made up of a mix of professional and amateur guitarists. You don't have to be an ace sight reader; just be able understand notation and figure things out on the guitar.

I am one of the section leaders and will be helping with the auditions on March 17. I'm told that it is about a 5 minute audition. (Can you play bar chords, can you follow a conductor, can you figure out a simple passage from the written music, and can you play in time) So, very basic. Anyone in the Toronto area who would like to be part of this can show up at the audition this Saturday, March 17. You would have to commit to rehearsals and the performance.

See the attached link for details or PM me with questions. Spread the word! https://luminatofestival.co...

That sounds s o-o cool! But I'm about 3600km too far west.

Dang!

Gavin & Danilo play that song for a living, beautifully. I sent them this stream's link. Long hike from L.A. & further from Rio. But, they're on the road a lot.

Thanks for sharing this.

Here's what Gavin & Michael put together for George's should have been 75th:

https://m.facebook.com/vide...

Didn’t we inadvertently do this in the barn in Nashville one year with questionable results?

Here's a link to a previous work by Tim; this one for 20 guitars called, "20 Quarter Inch Jacks."

I haven't heard any of the music for, "While 100 Guitars Gently Weep" yet, but I suspect it will be similar in concept. I was told that there will also be two of George's songs arranged for the orchestra as well.

Gavin & Danilo play that song for a living, beautifully. I sent them this stream's link. Long hike from L.A. & further from Rio. But, they're on the road a lot.

Thanks for sharing this.

Here's what Gavin & Michael put together for George's should have been 75th:

https://m.facebook.com/vide...

– Olivia Anne

Sorry Olivia, that link is no longer active.

Geeeze, are there no Toronto area members here? This is going to be a gas! No interest at all???? I played with Tim's "20 Quarter Inch Jacks" in Toronto a few years ago and it was great fun. This should be even better, and the performance will be at a very reputable music festival.

They had the first round of auditions yesterday and now that I see what is involved, I would like to encourage any Toronto area members who might feel intimidated by the music reading component to take part. Not only is the notation very simple, but in many sections the names of the notes are printed above the staff and everyone will be provided a link to a video where the composer demonstrates how to play every part of the composition. Were talking bar chords, basic tremolo, some repetitive single line passages, etc.; very easy stuff. Also, while there will be another audition date, I have permission to meet anyone on a one-to-one basis and do a very short audition and explain what is involved. So, if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or an email through my web site.

Didn’t we inadvertently do this in the barn in Nashville one year with questionable results?

– JBGretschGuy

Yes, though we only had 87 guitarists.

Paul/FF909

They had the first round of auditions yesterday and now that I see what is involved, I would like to encourage any Toronto area members who might feel intimidated by the music reading component to take part. Not only is the notation very simple, but in many sections the names of the notes are printed above the staff and everyone will be provided a link to a video where the composer demonstrates how to play every part of the composition. Were talking bar chords, basic tremolo, some repetitive single line passages, etc.; very easy stuff. Also, while there will be another audition date, I have permission to meet anyone on a one-to-one basis and do a very short audition and explain what is involved. So, if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or an email through my web site.

– Journeyman

We'll definitely require video of the final product for those of us who are too far away to take part!

PS- I'm just a little jealous.

Have a lot of fun!

Register Sign in to join the conversation