Miscellaneous Rumbles

One Guitar. One Amp. Nothing More. Nothing Less.

My Gretsch Eddie Cochran and my supro tremoverb. My Gibson Firebird has been getting lots of playtime lately so this is tough, but I have to think long game.

I'm gonna cheat....

My Kemper Profiler with my Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster.

– Toddfan

I was wondering when the modeling amps would appear . . . that is an acceptable answer.

That's easy. If I really would have to choose it's my 1960 Tweed Deluxe (Tweedless with a Celestion Blue) and my 71 Tele.
I changed the pick ups to a Bare Knuckles Flat 50 in the bridge and a Vintage Vibe P90-ish pick up in the neck. I changed the bridge in the 80s and left it because it sounds good and it has new pots and 50s Gibson wiring.
It's exactly what I want it to be and it has been with me since around 1987 when I bought it as a cheap travel guitar. It's fat sounding and it can be rough but also very jazzy.
I play lots of other great vintage guitars (and Gretsches) but this would be my choice.

Here is a picture (that happens to also have my 59 Junior in it):

Dudes U see it.

Would be one of my almost identical Rick 650s with Righteous Rickenbucker pickups, killer wide maple board w/ big frets. As some of you know the sparkle one is for sale so I have the conventional /stock 4 knob set up on it. The red one has my preferred 2 knob setup. They go thru a Holy Grail Nano just set on top of the amp. Amp is a 2-6v6 wiht a 12, but gain is split between two VTB channels, so this a lo-gain, not-loud amp that does NOT DISTORT even on 10 w Gibson buckers going thru. All clean all the time, Like God Intended.

Good to see so many Ampeg as 1st pick amps.

Having to think about as I read through this thread has me twitching.

Having to think about as I read through this thread has me twitching.

– tubwompus

I'm not at all surprised. Can we assume that the guitar would at least be black w/gold hardware.

• 6122IIds or Cad green Dyna Jet (Sophie's choice, eeny meany.)

• Line6 Helix, hah! (better effects that the Kemper) with Quilter Interblock & Cave Creek 1-12 Neo cab.

Or...if that's too much of an end run around the intention,

• Peavey Classic 30 or Deluxe Reverb or MusicMan 110RD. (A cloud of equally stellar quantum possibilities whose wave function would only collapse at the moment of choice.)

Sentimentally, I would love to have named the exquisite Ampeg Reverberocket, like which nothing else sounds - but in truth, it lacks the adaptability of the others.

• 6122IIds or Cad green Dyna Jet (Sophie's choice, eeny meany.)

• Line6 Helix, hah! (better effects that the Kemper) with Quilter Interblock & Cave Creek 1-12 Neo cab.

Or...if that's too much of an end run around the intention,

• Peavey Classic 30 or Deluxe Reverb or MusicMan 110RD. (A cloud of equally stellar quantum possibilities whose wave function would only collapse at the moment of choice.)

Sentimentally, I would love to have named the exquisite Ampeg Reverberocket, like which nothing else sounds - but in truth, it lacks the adaptability of the others.

– Proteus

Modeling amps are in the spirit of the thread. But you should bag sentimentality and just go for pure utility. . . . which will it be 6122IIds or Cad green Dyna Jet ?

But you should bag sentimentality and just go for pure utility

Well, they're equally utile. I suppose the IIds is marginally more so, as its 17" hollower body gets partway to Club territory from the Jet - and as it's a one-off, it's arguably more special.

What the heck’s a Cave Creek Neo Cab?

Cave VALLEY. Dang it. Sorryman. That little 1-12 cab you built me with the lightweight Neo speaker. Paired with the upgraded Quilter, it's a very capable utility setup.

I'm one of those guys that takes 4-5 guitars to a gig, but right now, I'm guessing it'd be my Gibson SG with P-90's through my Peavey 100w Valve-King head into a Carvin 4X12". Pure P-90 Heaven!

Sadly, if I was forced to go versatility over verve, it wouldn't be my Gretsch, but the very flexible and slightly offbeat T5z, which same can quack like a Strat, give a reasonable semblance of an electromatic (honestly, it can), play jazzy maj7-ths without sounding like a wanna-be jazzbox, yet still be acoustic when I need it to be.

However, sentiment would lead me to the CG, of course.

One amp- Prob'ly the mid-size Roland JC77. I don't have much of a modeling amp right now.

Trouble is, the above leaves out my first love- the 12string. Not overmuch versatile, but 12strings have allowed me to earn a fair bit of coin over the decades, at least some of which paid for everything else.

More thought may be required, here.

I'm with Baba.....my Super Chet and Exec. Now I have almost the same amp as he mentions, just the more recent version, the Super Champ X2 with the separate head and cab, but as versatile and nice as it is, I'll still opt for the Exec in this poll.

Yep. 59/58

– Gasmoney

Waitaminnit. Is that a B-Bender with the B6 Bigsby? I've been wondering if that was possible but haven't seen that before. I want one. Yesterday. I wouldn't mind that LPJr. either.

Yep. 59/58

– Gasmoney

I really envy you guys with those battle scarred tweeds.

Nothing to hide, and SO much TONE!

Gotta be my 1955 rig. ‘55 Streamliner through a ‘55 Magnatone Maestro 150.

I love playing the same guitar through my Fender Blues Deluxe RI but if I’m only allowed one amp, it’s the Maggie.

Gotta be my 1955 rig. ‘55 Streamliner through a ‘55 Magnatone Maestro 150.

I love playing the same guitar through my Fender Blues Deluxe RI but if I’m only allowed one amp, it’s the Maggie.

– Wheelgrinder

Nice set up.

Great pic.

I'm not at all surprised. Can we assume that the guitar would at least be black w/gold hardware.

– AndyJ

Very possibly, but then...I’m just not sure.

AAARRRGHHH!!!!!

At this point, it’d be like having to pick a leg.

While I'm seriously attached to all the members of my wood and steel family, if I had to make that choice, it would be my 1959 Gibson ES-355. It's been with me on stages and in studios since it was born and still has a lot to say. As far as an amp that I still have, I'd go with my 1995 Fender Blues Jr. It’s all tube and helps get the sound I want. I’ve used it on stage at 3,000 plus venues and just have the sound engineer put a mic in front of it and run it through their system. It’s a really great amp and all I need for live stuff, now.

6120 DSW and '65 Deluxe Reverb that I bought new!

The amp is easy: Victoria Ivy League (Fender Harvard clone). I love everything about it.

Guitar was harder, but the one I pick up most, and the neck (7.25) that feels best, is the 2007 MIJ '62 Custom tele.

I’ve got a few nice guitars. But, if I had to choose one, it would be my 6119 Tennessee Rose through my Deluxe Reverb. Those are not my favorites, but they are the most versatile. Gibson Johnny A would be a close second.

Register Sign in to join the conversation