Miscellaneous Rumbles

One Guitar. One Amp. Nothing More. Nothing Less.

A familiar question, One that could be easy for some; hard for others:

If you had to choose only one guitar and one amp (you currently own), that would be connected only by an instrument cable, what would they be.

For me, it would be my VS '62 Tenny and Ampeg J-20. There is just something about TV Hilo's in an Electrotone body, plugged into the Fender Brown Deluxe circuitry of the Ampeg J-20 that just does "IT" for me.

My 6120-59QM plugged into my Cave Valley Plexi head/Clark reverb tank/Vox cab with 12" Celestion Gold.

I'm blessed and really couldn't ask for or want any more.

I've found my sound with a Duo Jet and a Carvin Bel Air 2 X 12 combo amp.

My Gibson Les Paul and my Boss Katana 100 watt 2x12 amplifier do it for me. I know it's not a Gretsch, but it's my favorite combination.

My Falcon and my Fender Hot Rod and please let me keep my tuner.

My Falcon and my Fender Hot Rod and please let me keep my tuner.

– Suprdave

Sure, if it's on the headstock . . .

My 2008 Jag Tan Annie /w TV Classics plugged into My Vox AC10 with a 10in greenback speaker.

No need for anything else!

That would be easy enough for me, since I do only have one guitar and one amp. '59 Country Gentleman and '64 AC30.

3140 Historic and Vox C15. Can't ask for more.

My '68 Chet Atkins Tennessean with TV-HTS through my Peavey C30.

A familiar question, One that could be easy for some; hard for others:

If you had to choose only one guitar and one amp (you currently own), that would be connected only by an instrument cable, what would they be.

For me, it would be my VS '62 Tenny and Ampeg J-20. There is just something about TV Hilo's in an Electrotone body, plugged into the Fender Brown Deluxe circuitry of the Ampeg J-20 that just does "IT" for me.

– AndyJ

I have to agree on the TV-HTS, none of my other guitars can come close to that sound.

6120 DSW and '65 DRRI.

well, for many years, all I had was my 1959 6124 Annie and a 1966 Gibson GA-15RVT amp. they served me well then and they're still here.

For most of the '80's I had a '56 6120 and an SF Princeton Reverb. Didn't know -- or care -- that there was anything else to be had.

My Gretsch 6114 New Jet with my Top Hat Club Royale.

Like Vox and Marshall had a secret love child. Great rock n roll tone.

My '72 Princeton Reverb and my White Falcon!

Depends on the gig. For straight-ahead jazz, it would be my D'Angelico EXL1 through my Epiphone Blues Custom 30.

For most of my own music, it would be my Epiphone Elitist Broadway through my Mesa Boogie Nomad 45.

For a more rock-oriented sound with sustain a la Santana, my Dillion DR-500I through the Nomad 45.

And if I really, really needed tremolo, chorus, flanging, or delay ---- or really heavy overdrive --- I'd use my Line 6 Spider II as an amp, since it has all those effects as well as some pretty decent amp models.

Depends on the gig. For straight-ahead jazz, it would be my D'Angelico EXL1 through my Epiphone Blues Custom 30.

For most of my own music, it would be my Epiphone Elitist Broadway through my Mesa Boogie Nomad 45.

For a more rock-oriented sound with sustain a la Santana, my Dillion DR-500I through the Nomad 45.

And if I really, really needed tremolo, chorus, flanging, or delay ---- or really heavy overdrive --- I'd use my Line 6 Spider II as an amp, since it has all those effects as well as some pretty decent amp models.

– Parabar

Sure, but if you had to pick only one guitar and one amp for every style you play, which would be your Swiss Army rig?

Most likely: G5220 + PRRI 65

Sure, but if you had to pick only one guitar and one amp for every style you play, which would be your Swiss Army rig?

– AndyJ

That's a tough one. The most versatile rig I could pick would be my Samick Artist Series SAB-650 through the Mesa Nomad 45, which can cover all the bases passably, but only excelling at a few of them.

The amp is the easy part - my 51 Fender Deluxe with a Celestion Blue.

The guitar bit is harder - on various days I might say my 57 Strat or my 6120 conversion.

I’m pretty fickle but the guitar played the most the past almost year has been the Super Chet. The amp should be my 1966 Ampeg Gemini 2 but, if I can only have one amp, I’m going with more versatility and will pick my Fender Super Champ XD in a custom cabinet with a 12 inch Celestion G12H 30W speaker so that I can have several amps in one.

I'm gonna cheat....

My Kemper Profiler with my Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster.

That's a tough one. The most versatile rig I could pick would be my Samick Artist Series SAB-650 through the Mesa Nomad 45, which can cover all the bases passably, but only excelling at a few of them.

– Parabar

Hmm, that is a conundrum . . . which is why you have multiple guitars and amps.

Register Sign in to join the conversation