Miscellaneous Rumbles

Old Band from the 60’s getting back together 50 years later :)

When I see the pictures of the Coaevils back then, I hear this song playing-

Coaevils is a genuine word (!) which may be spelt 'coaevals' and means persons that are all approximately the same age. Very true for this most happy reunion.

Everybody knows that most of the great words have 'oae' together. It's true because I said psoae.

If it's pronounced Co-evils, why is there an A in it?

Because it's English.

Before dictionaries, words were spelt more or less how they sound. Much like most languages work today - I love Croatian because if I see a Croatian word written down I can say it, even though I may not not know what it means. Well, probably not know what it means. But I know the rules of Croatian spelling so I can pronounce any of their words.

If you read Shakespeare you might notice that he often has different spellings for the same words. It depends on who is saying it. He would write the word according to the accent of the character, so if the character was souhern he or she would pronounce it differently from a Scottish character, for example. But the twit who wrote the first English dictionary (forget his name) decided that he needed to establish a "correct" spelling for English words, even though languages are constantly evolving. And he even felt the need to include letters which weren't pronounced any more but which might have been once, to reflect the etymology of the word.

So even though someone of the time might pronounce "knife" as "nife", he included the K to show that once upon a time it had a K sounded at the beginning. Things is, sometimes he got the etymology wrong so included letters which really didn't need to be there.

But we have been saddled with it ever since.

So even though Coaevils sounds like Co-evils you shouldn't spell it co-evils because that implies that it is to do with evil cohorts, which it doesn't. Perhaps it should be spelt coaevals, because medieval has "evil" spelt "eval". Aeval as in age. And the ae is a left-over from Latin which you in the US have largely escaped. We here in Australia have the English spelling for encyclopaedia and aesthetic, for example.

And anaesthetic, as I am becoming.

Very Interesting, Ade and JimmyR ,,

I never knew that and yes, we are the same age, more or less ,,:)

Thanks! :)

By the way, The Reunion turned out Fabulous!

Exceeded Expectations,

We all reconnected and it was so glad to see so many people from way back ,,

Glad we wore name tags too cause some people have changed and we remember the person(s) like how they were in our minds image from the past.

Once we caught on, the eyes and vibe, aura, brought them back to us ,,

I'll elaborate on it all later, via, I just got back and it seems like I just got back from a trip and have to sort things out, much like unpacking, etc. etc. but in the mind ,,

:)

That must have been a blast!

Really pleased the reunion was so good Geoffrey.

JimmyR, what a nice post. Lucid etymology and a crisp self-deprecating jape to close. Couldn't be better!

Because it's English.

Before dictionaries, words were spelt more or less how they sound. Much like most languages work today - I love Croatian because if I see a Croatian word written down I can say it, even though I may not not know what it means. Well, probably not know what it means. But I know the rules of Croatian spelling so I can pronounce any of their words.

If you read Shakespeare you might notice that he often has different spellings for the same words. It depends on who is saying it. He would write the word according to the accent of the character, so if the character was souhern he or she would pronounce it differently from a Scottish character, for example. But the twit who wrote the first English dictionary (forget his name) decided that he needed to establish a "correct" spelling for English words, even though languages are constantly evolving. And he even felt the need to include letters which weren't pronounced any more but which might have been once, to reflect the etymology of the word.

So even though someone of the time might pronounce "knife" as "nife", he included the K to show that once upon a time it had a K sounded at the beginning. Things is, sometimes he got the etymology wrong so included letters which really didn't need to be there.

But we have been saddled with it ever since.

So even though Coaevils sounds like Co-evils you shouldn't spell it co-evils because that implies that it is to do with evil cohorts, which it doesn't. Perhaps it should be spelt coaevals, because medieval has "evil" spelt "eval". Aeval as in age. And the ae is a left-over from Latin which you in the US have largely escaped. We here in Australia have the English spelling for encyclopaedia and aesthetic, for example.

And anaesthetic, as I am becoming.

– JimmyR

We may have escaped many of Latin's idiosyncrasies but they still say that a preposition is a word that I can't end a sentence with.

"The, Wm. H. Crocker School, "Coaevils" playing at our 50th Jr. High Reunion last weekend in Palo Alto at "McArthur Park Restaurant" patio - 8 - 13 - 2017 :)

1967 - 2017 :)

I wish that we could hear a tape recording of your band playing, DrGretsch!!

Ah, The sound came out OK ', some of it came out too bright, edgy,, I think my old amp may have had a bad tube or something too, bad reverb cable? but mostly I was aware of it, via, making a mountain out of a molehill so to speak,, and there were a lot of people dancing in front of the camera which maybe they may not approve of a public video of them without asking them first, etc. ,, know what I mean?

I thought about it, but ? ,,

Maybe in time?

Thanks for asking, for sure ,,

Camera could have been too close to the stage, my amp too, thus pegging it ?

Hit and miss ,,

Everybody said they loved it all though, so ,,

We have a couple of gigs coming up now too in SF, :)

Ah, The sound came out OK ', some of it came out too bright, edgy,, I think my old amp may have had a bad tube or something too, bad reverb cable? but mostly I was aware of it, via, making a mountain out of a molehill so to speak,, and there were a lot of people dancing in front of the camera which maybe they may not approve of a public video of them without asking them first, etc. ,, know what I mean?

I thought about it, but ? ,,

Maybe in time?

Thanks for asking, for sure ,,

Camera could have been too close to the stage, my amp too, thus pegging it ?

Hit and miss ,,

Everybody said they loved it all though, so ,,

We have a couple of gigs coming up now too in SF, :)

– Geoffrey E. Stich

You guys are going to start gigging again? That's fabulous! The headline in the news should read "Jr. High School Band Reunites 50 Years Later".

"We have a couple of gigs coming up now too in SF, :)"

Let me know, I'd love to come check ya out!

Excellent!

The next one is at ,"The Pacific Union Club" in SF on Sept. 15th but that may be a private affair ,, but, then were going to be playing at a place in SF called, "Pena PachaMama", which is a fancy restaurant in SF, in fact historical where Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe and other celebs used to frequent back in the 50's, I hear.

http://pachamamacenter.org/

The date hasn't yet been determined yet but I'll let you know?

Were trying to coordinate with everybody in the band as to a Friday night in the next month or so where all can be there ,, :)

I'd like to see more photos of member's first bands. Here's mine from 1963. "The Sonics" later changed to "The Panics" because of another band from the northwest with the same name who had some hit records. I'm the little guy in the middle at 15 years old. I'm playing through a Gretsch amp.

S Mac

Cool picture, Macatt ;)

Is that a "Teisco" type guitar?

They are way cool ,,

Coaevil: A small beetle-like insect that feeds on the cotton plant; commonly found in the Southeastern US....

No, wait, that's not right...

At any rate, looks like you guys had a great time, Geoff!

Many Thanks!

Hey, "The CoWeevils" Sounds Good :)

Also, "The Co-Vikings", since "Wm. H. Crocker Middle School" name was, "The Vikings".

Coaevil: A small beetle-like insect that feeds on the cotton plant; commonly found in the Southeastern US....

No, wait, that's not right...

At any rate, looks like you guys had a great time, Geoff!

– Tartan Phantom

If a Coaevil is a beetle why not just call yourselves The Be...oh, wait a minute!

Cool picture, Macatt ;)

Is that a "Teisco" type guitar?

They are way cool ,,

– Geoffrey E. Stich

Yes, Teisco type called a Lindel. It had lots of chrome, four pickups and horrible mile high action. I must have been dedicated and determined to have learned on that thing for the first two years

Here's a photo Link

S Mac

;)

I started out on a Teisco like guitar too called an, "Imperia".

It actually sounded good with those low output, bright pickups but it had high action too but was neat to play, even as far as looks.

I later got a Red Fender Mustang and thought I had it made ,,

Playing a hard to play guitar at first is like training on a lead baseball bat, then going to lighter wood - Lol!

Glad you've gone "Gretsch" too ;)

They were harder to come by in my neck of the woods back then except the lower end models like the Anniversaries or Tennys but I didn't know much back then.

My next guitar after that was a Gibson 335 in 1967.

Got it as an 8th Grade Graduation present and had it exactly 10 years, then it got stolen in 1977 :(

Now, I'm full of Gretsches' ,, and other :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation