Miscellaneous Rumbles

Nothin’s As Precious As When We Know It’s The Last Time”

Paraphrasing Proteus' comment on another thread, that statement made me immediately think of my bass player, producer and friend for forty years, Bob Williams.

It's still a bittersweet memory that our last gig together was probably the most fun we ever had as a trio. Laughing, having the crowd up dancing, cracking up at each other's antics, and sounding great.

Even if I knew it was my last gig with Bob, it couldn't have been made any better.

So thankful that we went out having such a great time.

I know other people here have lost a close friend/bandmate, either just prior or just after a gig.

I keep going back to that memory because after all the hard work(and it is work to get "a sound" that sticks out that you can live with) it's a comfort to know he went out doing the thing he loved, making our music.

I know there's other triggers for other people, but I was feeling a bit nostalgic, and thinking of how much we laughed that night beings me back to a happy place.

Anyone else want to contribute, feel free.

That phrase grabbed me, too,when I read it in the thread. Proteus can often paint words that draw you into another scene.

What a great memory of a good friend!

The headline really got to me. My sweetheart passed away from cancer last fall, and there were so many bittersweet "last times" --- when we knew it would be the last time we visited one of our favorite places, spent time with one of her close friends, listened to a favorite song, or shared a favorite food.

Every moment with our loved ones, friends, bandmates, etc. is precious beyond measure. Sometimes we know something will be the last time, but so much in life is uncertain --- any time could turn out to be the last.

Nothing's sadder than when we don't know it's the last time.

Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. I lost my best Army buddy to pancreatic cancer, and I cherish every memory. We served some very harsh duty together, the type that bonds people together forever. I think that it's very difficult to be the survivor, I'm very happy that you had such a wonderful time with your friend, before he left this world.

Cancer took two brothers in last year, one who was my best friend since we were 13. Played music with both until the end. Each outing I had the mindset that this is the last one. Of course I didn't know until it was over which one it would be. Cancer sucks, so does getting old but whatcha gonna do?

I lost three friends within 18 months and didn’t know that the last time I saw them would be the last. Fortunately, another friend told me about one of them about a week before he passed and I was able to send him an email (he lived out of state) and received a reply. We were on good terms and had no fences to mend, however, I still appreciated the opportunity to say something and receive his response and thanked my living friend for giving me that opportunity. Closure is helpful and important. Treat each time as the potential last time.

As a terminally ill Warren Zevon said to David Letterman:

"Enjoy every sandwich".

I went thru a period where I went to 14 funerals in three months---Dad, both grandmothers, uncles, aunts, cousins, and two of my best friends.

The years don't make you old---going to funerals does.

I went to a memorial service a few years ago for a business associate who died rather unexpectedly. His wife put up a quote from Dr. Seuss that I try to keep reminding myself of:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Been trying to comment here for the past 24 hours but keep emotionally falling to pieces due to losing my older brother, Bernie and a dear band mate, Roy Pinn in the last few years. Will just leave it here with...

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I started to write something here a few times but deleted it.

I’ve lost a lot of friends recently and it just sucks.

I’m not looking for any sympathy or comments but maybe an understanding about why I am the way I am. I know there are others that are members of this smurfed up club that no one should ever have to be.

Two things, the first is after a few dr. visits at CHOP being brought in a conference room with several people that you’ve never met and you’re told that your beautiful 16 year old daughter is going to die in months. Fortunately we got three pretty good years.

The second, after being in the hospital at CHOP for a couple weeks of MRI’s and shunt revisions you’re told that she’s unexpectedly beating the brain cancer but the shunts that are draining the CSF from the four ventricles in her brain have become elastic and there’s noting more they can do, either let her pass here or bring her home. I’ll skip the details but she did wake up before she passed peacefully at home.

This shit should never ever happen to kids. Any parent would swap positions with their kid in a heartbeat.

Peace.

Register Sign in to join the conversation