Miscellaneous Rumbles

Not even close!

they said i had "fifteen or more." HA! i only have 14 that are currently serviceable. yeah, yeah, and three projects in varying stages of completion. and a fretless Jazz Bass.

They said I have six to ten, but I only have four. Idiots.

"Result: between three and five guitars."

Well, that's possible, I guess. I don't know how many I have. I should count them someday.

Paul/FF909

Somehow, they pegged me at 10. I wasn't trying to over-analyze my answers and jimmy the results.

And on several of the questions, none of the options really applied, but I suppose that's normal. Didn't know whether to go with the closest or tossem a herring. I picked Annie St Vincent Clark to jam with, because I figured at least she'd be eclectic and adventurous, and I'd stand a chance of participating honorably from a technical standpoint. There's no way I'd bring anything usefully collaborative to the players in the list I "admire." Maybe that threw it off.

But what makes the quiz interesting (to the extent it is...) is that there's no obvious connection between the questions and the result the quiz produces. Makes me wonder how the quiz is developed. I can't think it's just a couple peoples' intuition. Gotta be driven by unexpected connections between fields in deep relational data sets.

I wonder if it's just Reverb's database, or also others (perhaps made possible by Google analytics). Even then I wonder how they even tease out the relationships: that particular answer (how many guitars) isn't even something I would expect someone to be looking for. Gotta be some logarithm looking for patterns in some complex machine-learning way.

They said three to five; sheesh, that was before I got serious about the pretty Gretsches all in a row!

Somehow, they pegged me at 10. I wasn't trying to over-analyze my answers and jimmy the results.

And on several of the questions, none of the options really applied, but I suppose that's normal. Didn't know whether to go with the closest or tossem a herring. I picked Annie St Vincent Clark to jam with, because I figured at least she'd be eclectic and adventurous, and I'd stand a chance of participating honorably from a technical standpoint. There's no way I'd bring anything usefully collaborative to the players in the list I "admire." Maybe that threw it off.

But what makes the quiz interesting (to the extent it is...) is that there's no obvious connection between the questions and the result the quiz produces. Makes me wonder how the quiz is developed. I can't think it's just a couple peoples' intuition. Gotta be driven by unexpected connections between fields in deep relational data sets.

I wonder if it's just Reverb's database, or also others (perhaps made possible by Google analytics). Even then I wonder how they even tease out the relationships: that particular answer (how many guitars) isn't even something I would expect someone to be looking for. Gotta be some logarithm looking for patterns in some complex machine-learning way.

– Proteus

They seem to believe (judging by the questions they asked) that the universe of underlying motivations to acquire guitars comprises music-oriented thoughts and desires.

If so, they are wrong.

Paul/FF909

I think they made a typo. They said that I have 6 to 10 guitars but actually I have 6 plus 10 guitars....

Six to ten, I've got nearly forty

This is interesting. I retook the test, changing two answers (picking a guitar I don't have but is high on the list rather than one that combined my usual criteria, and jamming with Page) - and it came up with more than 15, a better result:

This is the highest score we're giving on this quiz. If you got this result, we thank you for your support of the Reverb marketplace. Did you know you can sell guitars on Reverb too?

So ha-ha, yes I know I can.

I'm guessing maybe the guitar change, from the oddball - but only - hollowbody (60s Japanese/pawnshop variety) covered with knobs to the SG implies more disposable income in the service of acquisition. And maybe Jimmy marks me as an aging boomer, more likely to fetishize guitars and, again, to have both the acquisitive gene and the disposable to indulge it.

Said I have 6-10. A little low.

Oops. I was logged in when I took the quiz, it would be easy for them to cheat then wouldn't it - they'd have my whole history? LOL

15 or more. I think I’m near 30.

This is interesting. I retook the test, changing two answers (picking a guitar I don't have but is high on the list rather than one that combined my usual criteria, and jamming with Page) - and it came up with more than 15, a better result:

This is the highest score we're giving on this quiz. If you got this result, we thank you for your support of the Reverb marketplace. Did you know you can sell guitars on Reverb too?

So ha-ha, yes I know I can.

I'm guessing maybe the guitar change, from the oddball - but only - hollowbody (60s Japanese/pawnshop variety) covered with knobs to the SG implies more disposable income in the service of acquisition. And maybe Jimmy marks me as an aging boomer, more likely to fetishize guitars and, again, to have both the acquisitive gene and the disposable to indulge it.

– Proteus

I too picked the SG and Page.

Six to ten guitars was the number I'm supposed to have. Well........ I have eight guitars, a ukulele, a mandolin, a tenor banjo, and a bass! So they were right about the guitars, six electric and two acoustics. They are the cream of the crop, the one that made the cuts.

For me rather too many choices didn't apply - of all the jam partners I had to choose Joe Bonnamassa (YUCK!!!) simply because I guess he was the closest to what I do, but still miles away really. They said I had more than 15 guitars. Nope, 6.

They gave me 15 or more. Nailed it.

I would jam with Jimmy Page, on the off chance that I might learn something.

these are usually data mining exercises . accuracy is not a concern when designing the quiz. just gathering data.

kinda like the what Star Wars character ones on FB

OK, I had nothing better to do. So I took the quiz. And the answer came out right, According to Reverb, I own three to five guitars. I own five.

There were some questions that I just had to make some kind of choice on. I thought there'd be no one on the list I'd like to jam with until I saw Tommy Emmanuel's photo. So I clicked on it. Not that I could keep up. But I'm sure I'd learn a thing to two.

Fifteen, so I blame Jimmy Page as well. I have three plus a mandolin and a banjo.

I would like to see a let us guess how many banjos or bagpipes you have quiz.

Well, I didn't want to pick any of the guitars, and the musicians to jam with.....seemed kind of thoughtless or random, from a very small range. Could it be just more empty click bait to encourage people to buy something, or at least 'screen shop'?

"More than 15"

But, it's wrong, I have only 15, I think...and one is an Electric Bass.

I feel Stereotyped!

I had to pick the dreadnaught as the only guitar i wanted and Jimmy Page as the only guitarist I was interested in and I ended up over 15 which is right I guess as there are currently 6 boxed up guitars in my place looking like some sort of guitarhenge

Six to ten... and as of today, there are 8. Not the worst result.

Register Sign in to join the conversation