Miscellaneous Rumbles

NorCal fires

It came to me tonight that quite a few of you guys are situated up North in the same local so I'm hoping it hasn't affected any of you or any family members and friends? It's a terrible situation up there so here's hoping!!

I live in Sonoma, many people I know have been evacuated, at least 2 of my friends have lost their homes. Carol and I are okay for now, but there's fires everywhere and they move unpredictably. We're ready to move should we get the call to move out. The whole SF bay area is full of smoke, and it will be some time before the danger passes. I took this pic yesterday up the street https://imgur.com/ScLRXEv That's at most 2 miles away, so a lot larger than it looks.

Praying and sending good wishes to you Frittz and everyone in the Sonoma area.

Fritz, if you need to move any of those guitars out of harms way, you can send them to me in Arizona. I'm not near any of those fires. Just trying to help a buddy.

No danger of existing fires where I am, Don. But, with the worst fire conditions in many years, the fear is that a fire could start here. After the very wet winter, there is a lot of fuel for a fire to burn.

Hoping that Fritz and Carol won't have to evacuate. Santa Rosa is a tragedy.

Petaluma has been spared so far although there are a lot of fires not that far away. If anyone here needs to stash some instruments I have a little space in my shop........

Hang in there gang. I was bummed to hear about Stags' Leap being damaged (as well as some other wineries). I hope this is able to be contained sooner rather than later.

I live down the hill from Ric. No flames here either, but the Sacramento Valley is choking.

Hang in there gang. I was bummed to hear about Stags' Leap being damaged (as well as some other wineries). I hope this is able to be contained sooner rather than later.

– Bonedaddy

I don't know this for a fact, but my brother-in-law who lives in St. Helena told me that Gundlach Bundschu was destroyed in the fire. Hadn't heard about Stag's Leap, but that makes sense since one of the fires was over on the Trail.

Last I heard this morning, the Santa Rosa fire was still 0% contained. That is a shocking statistic after the fire has been going for a couple three days now.

Our band practice was called off last night, as our bass player lives in Santa Rosa near some of the evacuated areas, and he wanted to stay home to pack in case he got the call to leave.

Our bandleader/guitarist has been spending many of his weekends over the past year or so helping his girlfriend remodel her house in Santa Rosa to get it ready for sale. They finished just a couple weeks ago, and she had to evacuate. Haven't heard yet if the house is still ok or not.

Seeing the films of the devastation on the nightly news is heartbreaking. I'm seriously thinking that if it were me, and I lost all my instruments, CD's, books --- everything, I would not have it in me to want to start over at this stage of my life. I think I'd just try to visit the people I'd want to see once more, put my affairs in order, and transition to the other side however I could.

Gundlach Bundshuh winery via Twitter "Thank you for all the well wishes and support. Our property sustained some fire damage, but our winery & structures are still intact. We unfortunately lost our family house on the property, but our family and employees are all safe. While we remain vigilant & optimistic about the state of Gun Bun, we recognize our neighbors continue to face challenges as fires still burn uncontrollably."

Damage to grapes still needs to be assessed. It will be quite a while before the fires are out and things can be fully evaluated.

Grez, I think my house is out of the danger zone but I may take you up on the guitar storage offer for peace of mind.

I feel a little shallow checking out guitar related stuff on the internet and then seeing a headline that 500 people are missing. This disaster has grown exponentially in just a day since I first heard about it.

Hope you folks in that area are OK and stay out of harm’s way.

I live down the hill from Ric. No flames here either, but the Sacramento Valley is choking.

– Powdog

Dang I hope everyone gets thru w/ no probs. BZ posted pix of this a few days ago.

I don't know this for a fact, but my brother-in-law who lives in St. Helena told me that Gundlach Bundschu was destroyed in the fire. Hadn't heard about Stag's Leap, but that makes sense since one of the fires was over on the Trail.

Last I heard this morning, the Santa Rosa fire was still 0% contained. That is a shocking statistic after the fire has been going for a couple three days now.

– Ric12string

I read that as well, also Signorello (sp?) is destroyed but harvested like 90% of their crop prior to the fire, from what I read.

We've decided to pack up some stuff and get out of town, at least for a few days. They just now issued a voluntary evacuation order for the north part of town, which is only 6 blocks away. Better safe than sorry!

ugh fritz..so sorry to hear..best thoughts to you & yours

in sf, 50 miles away, unhealthy air quality, terrible smoke smell and smoggy brown skies

sun looks like something from a godzilla movie as it sets over the pacific...eerie

haven't witnessed anything like it since 9/11 nyc..after world trade center

same sky and sickening burning smell

good thoughts and blessings to all my cali brethren

cheers

Be safe everyone. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fires everywhere this year, it seems. Karen's hometown (Williams Lake) was evacuated in mid July when it was surrounded by fire, and evacuees had to drive south through an older blaze to reach relative safety about 100 miles south. Over here, smoke from a couple of large interior fires cause extreme weather warnings more than 100 miles away in Vancouver and Nanaimo, while Victoria was blanketed by even more smoke from a blaze on the Olympic Peninsula to the south. For several weeks, you just couldn't get away from it. Meantime, blazes in the Okanagan caused evacs and losses in BC's wine country as well. Terrible summer for a lot of folks.

But here on the Island, we've been very, very lucky. Nothing serious. Still, vigilance is the new summertime watchword.

Be safe folks! Nothing is worth losing lives over.

I'm originally from Healdsburg, just north of Santa Rosa, and the majority of my mother's family still lives in the area, where they have been involved in construction for three generations.

One of my cousins, and my recently retired 92 year-old uncle, have lost their homes, but all are safe and as well as can be expected. My uncle's main concern is not for the loss of his own home, but for the loss of all the homes that my grandfather and he, and the rest of our family, built. He is proud of every home they ever built and he hates to see them go this way.

The wet winter that ended the drought in California and Southern Oregon is proving to be a mixed blessing, to be sure. Having been through that here in Troutdale, Oregon, recently with our Eagle Creek fire and in Ashland, Oregon with the many fires there this past summer, I know just how helpless it feels to see flames on the horizon near your home. My best wishes for all affected.

We're returned to Sonoma. No problems with our house, but the smoke/smell are terrible. Since moving to Sonoma we've had flood, earthquake and fire but this has been by far the worst. We're lucky in that for us it was a mere inconvenience, and we had a place to go with our animals. Many others are still displaced, and there will be long term effects for sure. The fire is still burning but mostly contained, and we're supposed to get some rain later this week.

I am thankful for your and Carol's safety, Fritz! Sorry that so many of the fine people from your region suffered such horrific losses, however.

I found this video shot by a strike team member out of Berkeley who had been sent to help out the firefighters in Sonoma County to be pretty moving. The manner in which they are awestruck by the degree of devastation is moving somehow.

Here's a link that shows the affected areas, hope it works. You may have to scroll to the region.

Fritz, I had a trial twenty or so years ago in Santa Rosa. During its duration, I used the Hilton Inn there off Round Hill Boulevard as my homebase. Sorry to see that it burned. It was a lovely area in the Eucalyptus trees, as I can recall it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation