Miscellaneous Rumbles

nobody talkin about Bigsby being sold by Gretsch, into Fender’s claws?

The first thing is to take the slop out of the lever. On my 1999 Custom Shop model, that meant taking out the vibrato block and smacking it with a ball peen hammer to tighten the threaded hole. (BZ)

Billy- I found a less destructive way that really works, at least it did for the two Strats I had over the years.... Teflon tape.

It's the stuff plumbers et al use to wrap around threads before they join two pieces together (like on a kitchen faucet, for instance). Cheap, non-sticky, and two or three wraps around the post takes all the slop out of the thing without so much as a ding being made..

Of course, that ding may add a certain je ne sais quois to the instrument, while at the same time relieve some of the stress from the ding-er.

But teflon tape works, too.

Proteus said...”and I'm pretty sure more guitars are getting Bigsby vibratos now than at any time in the past.”

You are absolutely correct.

They were a lot less impressive in person, and quite different from original Bigsby guitars in different ways.

– WB

your comment was very kind.You could be an ambassador.

I'm not so silver tongued.. I've played these and they are silly comparisons, nicely made yes and fun to play but naaah, not Bigsby replicas. Nothing close to what Paul Bigsby was doing.

TK Smith has been doing Paul Bigsby proud, but also setting a course for his own unique products, and I think He will also be just fine as TK has created his own "brand", headstock design, neck, body and even vibrato and pickups that are 100% TK Smith!

ps. I'm gonna jump off a cliff if I see bad blues band endorsements w $400 Bigsby clones from china, in a few yrs. :)

If Fender is smart, they'll hire TKSmith to build their Bigsby guitars.

ps. I'm gonna jump off a cliff if I see bad blues band endorsements w $400 Bigsby clones from china, in a few yrs. :)

That may happen too, in which case, vaya con dios, but I bet whoever predicted that Stern & Co. will crank out a handful of pricey replicas is correct.

If Fender is smart, they'll hire TKSmith to build their Bigsby guitars.

Or, even better, this.

I just hope not all units get the generic slick computer CNC treatment. See the example on the left:

The 'not so perfect' logo on the right looks so much better.

– Mike2000

Will it now be “Bigsby by Gretsch”? Lol

Better than being grabbed up by Gibson, I guess.

– wabash slim

If it had been acquired by Gibson, they would add tuners, electric springs, and a diamond handle and it still wouldn't work right...

Register Sign in to join the conversation