Miscellaneous Rumbles

NHL playoffs!

Thought we needed a new thread, now that the 'real' hockey season is underway. Couple of thoughts to start things. The bloom hasn't come off the Knights season. LA started out like a house on fire last night but the Knights hung in there and their speed finally overcome LA's attempt to beat them up. Very stoic performance I'd say. The Cinderella team.

The Leafs are toast without a miracle like the burning bush. Never mind the Leafs, most of the league doesn't have an answer for the Bruins top line.

Minnesota pushed back but I'm not convinced they can slow down the Jets enough to win the series.

Series going pretty much as expected are the Preds vs the Avas, more or less the Pens vs the Flyers and the Lightning & Devils.

The Sharks are a bit of a surprise to me as I thought this might be a close series. Kesler isn't healthy and could be the difference maker.

Along with the Knights having a strangle hold on their series, I believe the most surprising results to date is the Blue Jackets up two buzz on the Capitals. On the other hand it isn't surprising, given the Caps reputation for folding up early in the playoffs. If they're out in the first round, I expect Trotz to be gone by the next day.

I guess I should say the Ducks are in trouble, too...knew I had missed one!

Quite the finish to the Bolts-Devils game tonight...

Quite the finish to the Bolts-Devils game tonight...

– Twangmeisternyc

One team back from the dead.

The Avalanche are off to a "Dawn of the Dead" return as well!

The Leafs - self-professed hockey's center of the universe - won too.......two back from the dead.

Edit: another one with air back in their lungs.....the Ave's. The fat lady's warming up in Southern California and she's got two audiences to serenade!

Unfortunately, my Preds got a wake-up call last night... hello-- it's the PLAYOFFS... showing up for anything less than a full 60 minutes of hockey simply won't do. Congrats to Avs for making a great home stand.

While I don't think the Predators are sleepwalking (unlike the Ducks, who have yet to even show up for a game so far), They've got to stay focused if they want to avoid the "President's Trophy" curse.

Biggest problem so far in the Playoffs is that nobody has yet told the Knights that they can be beaten. They are playing both ends of the ice extremely well right now.

What I want, the NHL and Toronto does not, and that's new teams.

Anything "NOT" from the northeast will hurt what little ratings the NHL produces, but I would like to see Columbus make the Cup. I do like Boston, but they've been before.

In the West, either Vegas or Nashville, maybe Minnesota.

The hockey playoffs are the best!

...------

If the Preds don't stop dumping the puck in and chasing it they'll be booking tee-off times soon. Maybe not after this series but certainly by the next. They've lost that needed "first to the puck" mentality that while always needed to be successful is absolutely imperative to winning in the playoffs. This year the entire team is healthy

This isn't to take anything away from the Ave's who are playing them very hard. The Preds don't have an answer to McKinnon either. They better find a way to contain him to not only shut down his scoring but with each game, he's making every one around him better.

The Knights believe in themselves like no other team in the league. They came out of the chute like a rocket at the start of the season, and haven't missed a beat since. They have attitude and belief in themselves that's taking their already impressive talents to elevated heights. Their depth and particularly speed throughout their line-up along with their attitude makes them very difficult to overcome. They establish the style and tone of the game and force the opposition to play their game. And they play like they wrote the book on how to and the effects of, being first to the puck. Every team in the league has had to chase them all season and they haven't missed a beat going into the playoffs. LA has underestimated their opposition and to me, seem to have faith in their past accomplishments instead of properly focusing on their current opposition. They have a world class goalie in Quick but he alone can't stop the Knights. LA should be golfing by the weekend.

I-65. Congrats on the Stars bouncing Hitchocks ass out the door. I admit he's very knowledgeable but the style of play he promotes is boring and ultimately winless.

No need for the NHL to worry about ratings in Canada, at least while the Canadian teams are still in the hunt. I agree it would be nice to see a 'new' team in the finals or win it all but there's no candidate that would light a fire under the ratings from the east that would fall under the category of 'new'. Most 'new' teams there are are a snooze-fest for entertainment. Maybe the Flyers & Leafs based on their ancient historical successes. There are a few teams from the east I don't believe will excite folks nationwide in either country. No offense but the Devils, the Blue Jackets don't enjoy any sort of national following. Any real excitement is being generated by the western teams, first of course the Knights along with the Jets. The Jets haven't won the cup and have an exciting team to watch. And based on last year's excitement they created, the Preds, assuming they get to the finals, so that's 3 teams that qualify as 'new'.

Windsordave, I don't want to agree with you about the Jackets and Devils but I agree. For the Devils however, that was not always the case as Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer, and a few other cast members made for a team that topped attendance for visitors. This new squad is up and coming and is a very exciting brand of hockey. The Jackets are like the Hurricanes, Islanders, Panthers and others that just don't really seem to have an identity.

Yzerman was great when he played and has a hockey crystal ball for putting together one hell of a fun team to watch. I like the Lightning's coach too....a classy and hard working guy.

I'm afraid Washington is going down that rabbit hole again of being amongst the tops in the regular season but flopping in the playoffs. I hate the Flyers so enough there.

The Penguins are a machine that can take it all IF their goaltending reach the level of consistency they need. Boston and Toronto? I still say flip a coin because both those teams are formidable beasts. The Jets could very well be too but I just don't know enough about them. This is a great years for the playoffs though and will be watching till the last goal is scored even (I know, I know, most probably) if my Devils get knocked out the 1st round

And now I just read that Parise is out with a broken Sternum. Both him and Suter are out. I was just thinking what the Wild fans must be thinking and then read this article:

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/...

I suck absolute dick at navigating this forum can someone tell me what this guitar is. Or help redirect this question? Can’t find any info on it. No serial number. Electromatic duo something?

I suck absolute dick at navigating this forum can someone tell me what this guitar is. Or help redirect this question? Can’t find any info on it. No serial number. Electromatic duo something?

– Mowgli21

Navigating is super simple and this thread isn't the place for anything about guitars. Put it in either vintage or new Gretsch guitars category. Delete it from here and choose a category from the white box to the right that says "jump to".

Go duck!

– Mowgli21

Wishing doesn't make it so. They could be the next casualty tomorrow night!

Windsordave, I don't want to agree with you about the Jackets and Devils but I agree. For the Devils however, that was not always the case as Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer, and a few other cast members made for a team that topped attendance for visitors. This new squad is up and coming and is a very exciting brand of hockey. The Jackets are like the Hurricanes, Islanders, Panthers and others that just don't really seem to have an identity.

Yzerman was great when he played and has a hockey crystal ball for putting together one hell of a fun team to watch. I like the Lightning's coach too....a classy and hard working guy.

I'm afraid Washington is going down that rabbit hole again of being amongst the tops in the regular season but flopping in the playoffs. I hate the Flyers so enough there.

The Penguins are a machine that can take it all IF their goaltending reach the level of consistency they need. Boston and Toronto? I still say flip a coin because both those teams are formidable beasts. The Jets could very well be too but I just don't know enough about them. This is a great years for the playoffs though and will be watching till the last goal is scored even (I know, I know, most probably) if my Devils get knocked out the 1st round

– NJDevil

I hope I didn't sound down on some of the teams that you rightly referred to as lacking an identity because that wasn't my intention. I was just addressing I-65's thoughts regarding "new" teams. I happen to really like the Devils as you have our ex-goalie and I'm happy to see Hall doing so well after his rough ride in Edmonton, a team with loads of talent but no idea how to coach them.

As I predicted, the fat lady gave her first aria in LA tonight. Just as in the last game, LA came out of the gate like a thoroughbred but Fleury just stoned them and the Knights stuck to their game plan and prevailed. They are some kind of a machine! Actually both goalies, with 5 Stanley Cups between them were stars of this series.

The fat lady took a nice train trip up to San Jose in anticipation of a performance after tomorrow night's game; then she can begin travelling east.

I believe we might want to pencil in the Knights for the third round as neither the [most likely] Sharks or the Ducks have the depth to compete. In this series, a good part of the reason they prevailed was the smothering play of their 3rd & 4th lines.

By "new teams" I meant "different teams" in the Cup.

Seeing San Jose play a couple years ago was great, even though I am no Sharks fan.

Therefore, I'd still like to see Columbus come out of the East, and Vegas or Nashville from the West. Minnesota or San Jose would be okay. I don't care for the Winnipeg.

Looking back over the original seeding, I guess I could be okay with Washington coming out of the East, but I don't think they'll be the Blue Jackets.

Addendum: What available coaches, or soon to be available, are "offensive-minded" coaches? I have no problem winning games 6-3 or 5-2, like Dallas did a couple seasons ago when they were rolling. Dallas is hungry!

Addendum II: I don't mind coaches who allow younger players to "play and develop" instead of those who only play veterans. Youngsters learn from the older players. Being stuck in the minors doesn't help teams now!

...------

Vegas moves on, crappy hit to the head by Josh Morrissey on Eric Stall, Caps get a break in OT...

I'm glad the Jets won but not with the Morrissey hit. I think he'll get a game for it.

That brings me to a pet peeve I have about the NHL. It's a great sport with a malignant tumor - the referees - not the linesmen who are doing a good job. The ref's are clearly incompetent. Most of the time it's because they're either calling penalties that aren't or more often not calling penalties that clearly are, last night being the most egregious. The ref's and the assholes who regulate them have this insane culture of, the penalties have to even out over the course of the game! Where this is clearly bogus is in games between mis-matched teams from a talent standpoint. When one team is infrequently first to the puck they're going to clutch, grab and interfere to a high degree but rarely do the penalties called reflect this. The poor teams need to be hit harder with all the penalties they deserve.

If you look at the NFL by comparison, there's greater consistency game to game by the officials - and this, in spite of the difficulty interpreting the 'catch' rule! - and there's no culture about penalties equaling out. Some games are heavily weighted to the poor teams lack of discipline, which is as it should be.

Getting back to the NHL, an extremely poor aspect of how the ref's officiate is the almost total reluctance by the ref in the offensive zone - call on a breakaway notwithstanding - to call flagrant penalties occurring right in front of them. They claim they're 'watching the puck' which is the most laughable bullshit statement ever heard in hockey. Prior to adopting the 2 ref system, the single ref seemed to be able to [in most instances] be able to track the puck and see what the players are doing at the same time. The idea of having 2 refs was to catch the behind the play nonsense which made sense, but now they're relying on the back ref to call infractions 20 ft from the offensive zone ref when he's 100 ft away. This bullshit is just wrong on many levels.

There's no denying that the refs ref differently in the playoffs than in the regular season, despite the leagues assertion it doesn't. For the most part, I tend to enjoy the 'let them play' style, but they do miss the supremely obvious calls on a regular basis and when this lack of maintaining control of the game lets things go too far, the overall play deteriorates and players end up getting hurt, seeking ref incompetence-generated revenge. Refs used to have their names on their backs but no longer do, an indication the league doesn't want them to be identifiable outside the arenas. What other reason do they not want the officials identified?

+10000 for your take on the refs Windsordave. I’m on my cell so I (I’m all thumbs, literally!) can’t provide the full compliment to what I’d like to write but you hit th nail on the head to 10x over!

Inconsistent, missed calls when there are more than 1 right in front of the play (the most recent being Nico Hischier getting speared in his manhood last game), bad calls and then the “equalizing” make-up bad call that ultimately follows.

Refs feel if they make too many calls it impacts the game negatively. They don't want too many power plays. But you are right, they have to make calls on obvious penalties. Last night Oshie got high-sticked, and the refs did nothing.

The other night I saw the strangest penalty. One of the Devils basically bent over, curled around, and skated into the elbow of the Lightning player, who got called for elbowing.

So. Cal. now out of the Playoffs...quack quack!

Flyers look done, too.

The Preds-Avalanche game was in perpetual Hyperdrive, got dizzy watching it...and the Bolts seem too much for the Devils.

Register Sign in to join the conversation