Miscellaneous Rumbles

NHL Playoffs 2019!

Better game tonight, good to see St. Louis rebound after giving up a great away lead in such poor fashion...

The Playoffs are hard work.

I understand why people like to hate Marchand. He was trolling Williams big-time today, but if they'd called Williams holding Bergeron just prior to that, none of that would have happened. Marchand is a pest, but if he were your pest, you'd love him.

And then Dougie Hamilton comes across and crosschecks Heinen down after his goal, when the play is over... and it's crickets chirping. Not even a penalty! No outcry. That should be reviewed by DOPS, but of course it won't.

– Jimbodiddley

I agree. The DOPS is considered a joke by not only hockey fans but by fans of other sports as well as it's blatantly clear the league has no interest in players' safety. It's this callous disregard for getting the cheap, injurious hits from behind into the boards out of the game that is holding back hockey from gaining the popularity it could have in the US. It's a two prong problem: players are willing to risk a slap on the wrist fine or a few game penalties to stay in good with their coach/owner, and no judgement at all officiating. I want to see a lot of hitting but not the cheap stuff everyone's talking about these days. Hit a guy's head or drive him head first into the boards when it's clear there's intent to injure and it's automatically a minimum of 10 games.....no discussion. And these hits are reviewable by the refs if not by the headquarters in Toronto. Take this out of the refs' hands as it's quite clear they don't have the brains to make the needed judgement call. Oh, and the game penalties will cost a minimum of $100K. When a coach loses a guy for 1/8th of the season, he'll think twice about encouraging taking bad penalties. Oh, a second infraction of this type and you're gone for the season and shell out $250K or forfeit the remainder of your salary.

Big win by the Bruins to take a 3-0 stranglehold. Don't see the Canes winning the next 4 games. They may not even win one the way Rask is playing.

Couldn't agree more. It would help immensely if the Canes would actually hit the net when they shoot! They had more than enough chances to get at least one goal from all the shots that missed. Oddly, their inability to hit the net is one of Rask's greatest assets.

Conspiracy theorists see a pattern growing stronger!

The 'offensive' part is that the ref whose eyes only follow the puck doesn't see such an obvious infraction!!!....and once again their mis-judgement effects the result of the game. Earlier the ref can't see a puck shot over the glass. This year's officiating is the worst I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot!!

The NFL reviews every scoring play and the NHL needs to do this too. Tonight's winning goal would've been disallowed in a heartbeat if review was allowed. I don't give a rat's ass about officials being offended at more review. If they were competent, we wouldn't be having all these discussions about their inability to do their job.

I once knew an ex-ref, Bruce Hood, and in the '80's when we'd occasionally meet at his travel agency office, he was disgusted at the refs' poor performance.

Yeah, if I were a Blues fan I'd be pissed. Don't understand how a hand pass leading to a goal is not reviewable, but if a skate is 0.3 mm offside at the blueline, it is reviewable.

The hand pass has way more impact on a goal than that 0.3 mm "advantage" at the blue line.

Fans from every team know the anger of bad calls...

Stars fan learned last series, but again, the Dallas players can blame themselves for game 7.

As far as the Blues/Sharks, I'm pulling for the Sharks. The NHL may be leaning towards an east/west showdown, not Midwest/south.

...------

What makes last night's call even worse than being inexcusably missed is that the scoring shows Meier getting an assist.....for a hand pass!!! That's rubbing salt in the wound and highlights the ineptitude of the nearby ref. It's a joke that some plays are reviewable and others aren't....either all facets of the play are reviewable or none are. Given the league is already in the review mode, not reviewing isn't an option. Also keep in mind that other sports are expanding the review procedure, not going away from it.

Up till that gaffe it was a good game. Tough going forward for the Blues now though but at least they're fighting and are competitive whereas the Canes, barring a burning bush miracle are done. For countrywide interest, the league definitely wants the Bruins in the finals, not the Canes which have no national interest. IMO, the Sharks have an edge in popularity over the Blues just because they're CA team.

Refs got it right on the alleged hand pass last night. What Meier did last night was no different that a player skating down ice, snagging a puck out of the air and dropping it in front of him which is legal and occurs almost nightly in the NHL. At no time that I saw did he do a sideways throwing motion to an adjacent player.....a hand pass. Binnington is a helluva goalie but at times he will put on his shortpants and BusterBrown shoes and pitch a red faced walleyed fit to get refs to see it his way

Meier needed to play the puck with his stick before another Shark could then be eligible to take possession as no Blue touched it.

The few replays on the internet seem to show Meier's stick causing the puck to wobble after leaving his hand. But, the real time TV Coverage had several angles where you could see a gap.

No one has said thus far that he actually did play the puck with his stick...

Having the puck continue towards the crease gave an "advantage" which requires a stoppage of play.

I do not see Binnington as elite, or even a top 10 at all.

The Blues coach turned the team around, including the defense and offense. Binnington seems like a backup to me at best.

Addendum: Mr. p2gee has convinced me...no hand pass.

...------

Refs got it right on the alleged hand pass last night. What Meier did last night was no different that a player skating down ice, snagging a puck out of the air and dropping it in front of him which is legal and occurs almost nightly in the NHL. At no time that I saw did he do a sideways throwing motion to an adjacent player.....a hand pass. Binnington is a helluva goalie but at times he will put on his shortpants and BusterBrown shoes and pitch a red faced walleyed fit to get refs to see it his way

– p2gee

No they didn't get it right, by all the analysts opinions since it happened. He didn't drop the puck in front of himself, he cuffed it to his teammate. Play should've been whistled dead at that point! And he wasn't on his feet either, he was lying on the ice. His cuffing the puck was very plain to see even at regular speed. The nearby ref has only one job and that's to watch the puck, and of course everything that's happening to it and around it and we're to believe this boob didn't see the hand pass?? Binnington along with the entire team had every right to bitch about the non-call. The officiating foursome watched the replay from the edge of the rink and appeared embarrassed by their mistake. Their hands were tied as the league in their infinite stupidity doesn't allow them to watch a replay as they do in other instances.

That's 3 game changing calls - one in each series - that have favored the Sharks. Not accusing anyone of anything, yet, but that's a lot of smoke showing.....

– p2gee

No, it was a hand pass. It's an illegal play. At first I thought he may have touched it with his stick afterward, but I saw one angle from behind that look pretty conclusive that he did not play it with his stick at all.

Woo! Well done Bruins! So happy right now. Great to see them playing for the Cup again!

They'll get time to rest and heal up while the Blues and the Sharks beat the crap out of each other.

Good example of Bruin domination tonite. Finally a game without officiating controversy. And nice to see they were on top of all the hand-passing that was going on......4 times it was called. You're not going to convince me there wasn't some heavy discussion today with tonite's refs regarding hand passing.

I did not see that the goalie cupped or caught the puck in any way.

From what I saw it hit his wrist and trickled down.

...------

– p2gee

The NHL spokesman admitted it was a blown call but wasn't reviewable under the rules. Also the refs didn't decide it was a legal play, none of them saw it so couldn't call it.

It seems easy to review all goals like the NFL reviews all touchdowns or changes of possession.

Pierre McGuire today reported that from his contacts at the league's head office, there's going to be significant changes to the review process, in all likelihood expanding it to cover more situations. This year's playoffs have already had a very embarrassing effect on the officiating, both with refs who can't see the obvious and the league not providing proper guidance in the rules of officiating. The rash of situations reflecting badly on the officiating this year has brought the serious flaws of what's reviewable and what's not clearly into focus.

Well, in good Hockey tradition, when you didn't win on a good, fair note while in a series, spot your opponent an easy goal early in the next game!

In Baseball, it would be a "dinger" pitch, a full-service, batting practice "meatball".

You wonder about the goal reviews - there would need to be a limit on how far back in the game they can go to find an infraction to nullify a goal.

What if 30 seconds prior to the goal there was an uncalled interference or trip that kept the puck in the zone? Or icings - there are bad icing calls and non-calls.

They need to be careful not to overdo it.

Last night during Brian Burke's To The Point intermission segment (Canadian TV feed, not NBC) he showed the reviewable paragraph in the rulebook - he is the former head of the rules committee - and it clearly states that the hand pass could have been reviewed if the crew felt it needed to be and they could've reversed the initial non-call and taken away the goal. For some apparent reason, crews are reluctant to use this rule to review goals. They'll use it to determine if the goal came off it's posts completely before the puck went in but won't for a hand pass. The refs biggest error was not going to video review for an issue in overtime. The closest ref was out of position for a clear view and so could justify a video review but didn't have either the smarts or balls to do it.

I agree on a limit of how far back in time a possible off-side occurred to be relevant, but I believe every scoring play should be automatically reviewed. The refs could wear an earbud and be notified of bad goals or an off-side , etc as they do in rugby. It's not a big deal and would give the league the credibility they currently don't have and don't earn. With the speed of today's game officials deserve some help.

Register Sign in to join the conversation