Miscellaneous Rumbles

NHL Playoffs 2019!

this game is nuts.

Dallas will be most fortunate to Win, Bishop has offset the lack of Offense!

EDIT: The Blues earned it, now to see if they have any gas left. We will learn tomorrow night who they will face.

Kudos to Ben Bishop and Matts Zucarello for showing up and playing at an elevated game 7 elimination level....you guys are warriors. If it were up to me, Seguin would trade his Ferrari for a Camry and swap salaries with Zucarello. Double kudos to everybody on the Blues bench....players, coaches, water boy...you all were game 7 level all night long. Good luck going forward.

I'll add my kudos to the Blues for prevailing over the Stars. Most of the game the Stars couldn't stay in the Blues' end and the shots reflected that. Bishop was the only reason the game went to overtime. He was outstanding. The winning goal was an amazing effort with the maneuvering following the faceoff that got the shot off the post that Maroon pushed in.

Indianation, you must've taken a nitro pill during that game as the stress for Stars' fans was off the chart! Seguin could've showed a better effort I feel.

I wonder if tonight the Ave's play like the Stars did last night or get on their collective horses and play a strong offensive game.

The Stars offense and coach's lack of game adjustments made me crazy, along with all Stars fans. Apparently the fans could see more than the coach and his assistants.

Clearly, from the beginning of the 2nd period on, and probably the 1st, the Blues were aggressive in the offensive zone. Whenever Dallas approached the Blues' blue line, a defender was on him immediately. The Stars could not set up or get a forecheck going. They'd dump it in, Binnington would stop it behind the net, pass it, then the Blues were right back in the Dallas end. Dallas gave each player 5-10 feet of space to pass or shoot.

Dallas never adjusted, and got "1" shot in the 2nd. It was embarrassing how they never changed strategies. At minimum, they could have attacked the Blues players when they were near Bishop, but no. The coaches let it continue for 2 entire periods...

I need to stop thinking about this. I feel Dallas lost the series more than St. Louis won it. Yep, I'm bitter. I just cannot believe what I was seeing.

It appeared St. Louis was playing 6 men vs 4 most of the night. They attacked and suffocated. Dallas leaned on Bishop until he broke. I'm shocked, and I hate, HATE losing more than I love winning.

Go Stars, I guess. I do not hate the Blues now, like lots of Stars fan do. They figured out how to win. Slow down the fast offense of Dallas, smother them, then get the puck back and attack Bishop. It worked.

Addendum: I was too angry to watch the handshake. I'm bitter, and I admit it.

...------

St. Louis has outplayed everybody since Berube took over...all of 2019 thus far.

They moved the puck past Dallas last night like they were standing still...

Just caught part of the third and the OT(s) of the Blues-Stars game. Crazy. I would have been willing to bet it would be one of those games where one team dominates, then it goes to OT and the other team gets a flukey goal.

Blues deserve to advance. It's shaping up to be a pretty good final 4, I think.

As much as the Stars were grossly outplayed in the second and third periods, they seemed to wake up when the overtime began at least to the point of generating some sustained time in the Blues end. Even that faded though later in the first overtime and into the second.

St Louis is this year's Cinderella team, making the playoffs and now into the 3rd round after being dead last in the standings in the first week of January. They didn't get this far by being lucky so I'd like to see them win the cup this year.....dreams can come true. Last year Vegas nearly did it.

Well, tonight the Aves played a lot like The Stars did last night.....with the same result. Last half of the 3rd period was quite exciting but Jones pretty much stoned the Aves and that was "all she wrote." Getting Pavelski back sure was a sparkplug for the Sharks!

3rd western round should be a good one.

Unfortunately, last night's game was another replay of the broken record, "the officiating is all over the map on what constitutes a penalty" and the talk following the game includes how the grossly poor officiating affected the outcome. It's no secret that from a rating standpoint, the NHL would prefer Boston over Carolina in the finals. Sure wish a former ref would have the stones to come forward and say how they're directed for the playoffs. It's no secret, despite the league's maintaining that they don't tell them to officiate more leniently, they all change what they call and more importantly, what they don't call. More than any previous year, I feel this year their piss poor calling - both ways - of penalties has made an impact on the outcome of games and that's NOT their mandate!

Unfortunately, last night's game was another replay of the broken record, "the officiating is all over the map on what constitutes a penalty" and the talk following the game includes how the grossly poor officiating affected the outcome. It's no secret that from a rating standpoint, the NHL would prefer Boston over Carolina in the finals. Sure wish a former ref would have the stones to come forward and say how they're directed for the playoffs. It's no secret, despite the league's maintaining that they don't tell them to officiate more leniently, they all change what they call and more importantly, what they don't call. More than any previous year, I feel this year their piss poor calling - both ways - of penalties has made an impact on the outcome of games and that's NOT their mandate!

– Windsordave

Agree 100% it's a smurfing joke!

I still can't figure whatever Dougie Hamilton did...the penalty was on Boston...

I still can't figure whatever Dougie Hamilton did...the penalty was on Boston...

– Twangmeisternyc

They said he got the butt end of his stick up... complete bs imo.

The calls during the Stars/Blues series were terrible, mostly in favor of St. Louis, at least from what I saw as a Stars fan.

Dallas' inability to score and be aggressive in game 6 in Dallas was paramount. The inability to even enter the Blues' Zone in game 7 was atrocious. In my estimation, the Stars were "worse" than the officials in game 7.

I admit it. Dallas blew their chance. I'm still stinging that I haven't watched any other games since the loss. I'm probably cheating myself. IN65

...!

My son, always the conspiracy theorist, wonders why the NHL wants San Jose to win. Controversial incorrect call in the Vegas final that clearly resulted in a San Jose victory and another suspect call in game 7 against Colorado. The latter is part of a disturbing trend. The offsides call was triggered by a video review guy for the Sharks whose sole job is to look for challengeable plays. Technically a correct call under the rules, nonetheless the infraction did not provide any benefit to Colorado so should have fallen under a “no harm no foul” no call. The concept of challenges was to eliminate obvious bad calls, not to decide games based on manipulation of the system around arcane rules.

I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Every team's fan base seems to think the refs are against their team. If the league were trying to favour the Bruins, for instance, they're going about it a funny way. Lots of controversial calls didn't go their way in the Columbus series.

Last night's Bos-Car game was horribly officiated overall. Several calls against both teams that were borderline at best, and lots of missed calls that were obvious penalties. Hamilton's first penalty was warranted, imo. His stick looked looked like it came up. The second one was very questionable. Backes was playing the puck, and as such, was fair game to hit.

Difference was, Carolina couldn't score on their PPs, because Rask, and Boston did.

I don't know if it's the 2-ref system, or what, but it seems like the quality of officiating has been steadily declining.

I "do" believe that sports is greatly manipulated if not flat out "fixed."

However, in hockey, one way to off-set referee interference is to attack and score so much that tainted officiating cannot overcome a team advancing.

In a league where teams are so even, it's easier to advance bigger markets. Compared to the other big sports, the NHL needs all the help it can get to get viewers. I did not see game 7 of Sharks/Avs or game 1 of Bruins/Hurricanes, but I'd believe some dicey calls were made, "dicey" that truly weren't that difficult to get right the first time.

Addendum: Don't get me going on the San Jose/Vegas game.

Addendum II: I do NOT hate the St. Louis Blues because of this last series with Dallas. I simply have "never" liked them. Therefore, of the remaining teams, they are the only team I do NOT want to win the Cup.

...------

I'm gonna step out of sorts and support St. Louis...

Me too. As I said earlier, they're this year's Cinderella team coming from dead last the first of the year to make the playoffs and still in it.

I'm still hoping to see Marchand take a hit like he did a few years ago that knocks him out for at least this round. What's so infuriating about this little weasel is that he's so good, he doesn't need to resort to his illegal hits to injure players and ridiculous stuff like stomping on a stick, breading it. and not getting a penalty. For me, his next injurious/illegal hit should be worth 25-30 games and that amount of income in fines.

Been a while since his last Suspension...although he has tried!

True 'nuff! The Blues better find a way to shore up their defence and try to slow down the Sharks or this will be a very short series. Their attempts to run at them certainly didn't work tonight.

I did not see the game, but I saw the final score.

I hear/read that Blues fans were mad and complaining about the officials and the way the game was called.

That's Rich!!

...!

It's pathetic, but a lot of 'homers' aren't willing to see the difference between a hard, clean, legal check and a cheap shot (Marchand the most frequent example throughout a season).

The saddest thing regarding body checking these days is that a hard clean check is retaliated against. They should be crapping on their player to keep his head up! Cheap shots aside, during normal play, it's each player's responsibility to watch out for themselves. Getting hurt can be as much about not seeing the check coming as the actual collision. And unlike years past, today's players are they're own worst enemy in that they're constantly turning their back to the paly and face the boards, which is just begging to get walloped. This stupid habit never used to be a feature of play decades ago. In this regard, today's players haven't learned Jack-$hit about how to avert injury.

Having said that, years ago didn't have players of OV's size and speed hitting them so there is that factor, but the results are always worse when you don't see them coming!

Carolina needs to have a Players Meeting...

They have to win the next 2 at Home.

I understand why people like to hate Marchand. He was trolling Williams big-time today, but if they'd called Williams holding Bergeron just prior to that, none of that would have happened. Marchand is a pest, but if he were your pest, you'd love him.

And then Dougie Hamilton comes across and crosschecks Heinen down after his goal, when the play is over... and it's crickets chirping. Not even a penalty! No outcry. That should be reviewed by DOPS, but of course it won't.

Register Sign in to join the conversation