Miscellaneous Rumbles

NHL Playoffs 2019!

The real season has started...the playoffs!

The Dallas Stars take game 1 on the road against Nashville. Game 2 is tomorrow!

How about your team? What'cha got?

Addendum: Coach Montgomery means NO Hitchcock!

...------

My team didn't make the playoffs...but we will be picking 3rd! Silver-linings....

My bracket took the easy route with the East (TBL). I have them over STL in the Final. I do have (assumed) your Stars over the Preds in 6 games, but losing to the Blues (who have just been too hot since Jan).

1st round picks:

CGY over COL, VGK over SJS, DAL over NSH, STL over WPG,

TBL over CBJ, BOS over TOR, WSH over CAR, NYI over PIT

My wife is learning how to bet Hockey.

She is 2 for 8 thru Game 1's. Lost the Over Under, too!

I'll bet the Second Round after seeing who gets overly punished in the First.

No Horse in the race this year...a couple teams we like.

My team didn't make it either - but we got pick #2!

Looking forward to watching some of these games.

The Canucks got shit-canned again in the draft lottery so no surprise there. As for the first games of round 1, for me it was about what teams that should've played well if not won their game, played without the fire needed. Tampa, Winnipeg & Boston come to mind with possibly adding Vegas to the list. Someone needs to remind them there's no tomorrow and pull the rag out!! While the teams that beat these guys aren't my favorites, I admire them stepping up and getting the job done.

A question for you folks whose team didn't make the playoffs. Do you honestly think your team could beat in a 7 game series, any of the teams that made it through? I know the Canucks, despite their small core of terrific players that could star on any team, couldn't beat any of the teams in the playoffs. How about your opinion on your team?

The Canucks got shit-canned again in the draft lottery so no surprise there. As for the first games of round 1, for me it was about what teams that should've played well if not won their game, played without the fire needed. Tampa, Winnipeg & Boston come to mind with possibly adding Vegas to the list. Someone needs to remind them there's no tomorrow and pull the rag out!! While the teams that beat these guys aren't my favorites, I admire them stepping up and getting the job done.

A question for you folks whose team didn't make the playoffs. Do you honestly think your team could beat in a 7 game series, any of the teams that made it through? I know the Canucks, despite their small core of terrific players that could star on any team, couldn't beat any of the teams in the playoffs. How about your opinion on your team?

– Windsordave

Here’s a total “homer” answer, but I think Chicago, in a best of 7, could take Carolina.

What a bad call in San Jose resulting in a two-goal swap. The refs' judgment pulled a fast one on the Sharks.

Tampa Bay, wow, do they look like a 16-seeder.

...------

I think I said this last year...or the year before...a 3 goal lead ain't enough!

Nice to watch good hockey for a change. Tampa Bay better figure it out - all their talent isn't helping. Columbus looks faster, more determined, better passing. Good for them. Funny how that happens.

Isles fans are having fun.

In response to the question above, my Rangers deserve to be out of the playoffs. They'd have a hard time winning a series.

What a bad call in San Jose resulting in a two-goal swap. The refs' judgment pulled a fast one on the Sharks.

Tampa Bay, wow, do they look like a 16-seeder.

...------

– indianation65

Seems every year, the Presidents cup winner falls on its face in the playoffs. But Tampa is getting punked bad. CBJ owe alot to their coach Tortorella. He may arguably be the best coach in the NHL right now. I think you could put 5 cows on the ice and he could get them to skate at NHL playoff level. Now to the important stuff: DALLAS STARS!! Wed night dont know if Nash was that bad or The STARS were that good,,,,probably a little of both. Our problem all year has been getting the goal scoring STARS to show up every night. Goal tending?....got that covered in spades. Scoring to support our goal tending??,,,,, not so much. Ready for tonight!!

My team didn't make it either...The Devils have got a lot of fixin' to do! But......... I'm a hockey but so regardless of the team, I'm hooked.

I guess I'm rooting for my inter-division rivals, The NY Islanders but also rooting for Calgary.

Columbus being up 2-0 against the Lightning is crazy....I never would've forecasted that but that is the ultimate "grooviness" of sports in the playoffs. And they might lose Kucherov to suspension because of the late 3rd part hit on Nutivaara.

My team didn't make it either...The Devils have got a lot of fixin' to do! But......... I'm a hockey but so regardless of the team, I'm hooked.

I guess I'm rooting for my inter-division rivals, The NY Islanders but also rooting for Calgary.

Columbus being up 2-0 against the Lightning is crazy....I never would've forecasted that but that is the ultimate "grooviness" of sports in the playoffs. And they might lose Kucherov to suspension because of the late 3rd part hit on Nutivaara.

– NJDevil

One game suspension.

Neither of my teams made it, The Islanders owned the east this season. Gotta catch up on whats happening.

In the NHL, unlike any other sport, it truly is a new ball-game once the playoffs start.

Any team, no matter what seeding, can beat any other team. Dallas has been hot and cold all season. They finished pretty strong and have two good goaltenders, which is vital. The scoring, strangely as it sounds with lots of forwards who can truly shoot, has been low. Coach Montgomery's system leans a lot on defense, but not as much as Hitchcock's did. Therefore, the Stars win and lose most games by a total of 4 goals or under for both teams. On occasion, they do score 4-6, but not often. New acquisition Andrew Cogliano even commented about the low scoring in an interview last month. He didn't seem to like the style of "winning low." I don't either. I'd much rather win a game 5-4 than 2-1. Regardless, the Stars did what they had to, thus making the 7th seed.

Now then, since anything can happen in the playoffs, and since Dallas is probably viewed as a "middle of the pack" contender, I'd like to see the following:

The Dallas Stars vs the New York Islanders in the Stanley Cup.

There is a ton of hockey to be played, but we'll see what happens. Dallas needs to take game 3 tonight against Nashville. Bishop has been playing well, and the rest of the team has been grinding it out. They can do it! I'll be there cheering them on!

...Go Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

If the Lightning get beat in the series it will be a hell of a fall from grace but if they get swept, I feel it'll be considered, given their terrific season, the greatest beating in playoff history. Pittsburgh being down 3 zip is shocking too. Washington being up 2 buzz is more along the lines of expected. Winnipeg finally showed up but I'm not holding out hope they can beat St Louis in 7. The rest of the series are about what I expect for round 1 and it's great hockey!

My hope for the Canucks off season is to dump their GM and to stop signing non-effective free agents and to overly long contracts! Louis Erickson is a turd of a player and commanding more than twice what he's worth! They need to just buy him out!

Drafting 10th means they won't get a player capable of stepping into the lineup for next season and that's one thing they sorely need. Not a fan of their coach, Travis Green either as he isn't interested in developing young players, just trying to win each night. The farm team in Utica is a mess and heads are expected to role their soon. Being located across the country doesn't seem to have helped keep tabs on them either.

I'm wondering how many Canadian teams will make it out of the first round.

If the 'Bolts get swept by Columbus, it will be even more embarrassing than when the Predators (who were the bottom seed that year) swept Chicago in the first round in 2017.

For years I scoffed at the "President's Trophy Curse"... But after last year and this year, not so much. Still, Tampa hasn't lost yet, although they're on life support right now.

We shall see. So far, the most exciting series to my eyes has been the Jets/Blues ruckus... They are playing "old-time" hockey right now, and it's a great series.

Going in, Winnipeg was the team I was fearing the most and was kinda glad the Stars drew the Preds first round........let the Blues rough em up a bit before we might face them in the second round. Now the Blues are looking kinda scary too.

If the Lightning get beat in the series it will be a hell of a fall from grace but if they get swept, I feel it'll be considered, given their terrific season, the greatest beating in playoff history. Pittsburgh being down 3 zip is shocking too. Washington being up 2 buzz is more along the lines of expected. Winnipeg finally showed up but I'm not holding out hope they can beat St Louis in 7. The rest of the series are about what I expect for round 1 and it's great hockey!

My hope for the Canucks off season is to dump their GM and to stop signing non-effective free agents and to overly long contracts! Louis Erickson is a turd of a player and commanding more than twice what he's worth! They need to just buy him out!

Drafting 10th means they won't get a player capable of stepping into the lineup for next season and that's one thing they sorely need. Not a fan of their coach, Travis Green either as he isn't interested in developing young players, just trying to win each night. The farm team in Utica is a mess and heads are expected to role their soon. Being located across the country doesn't seem to have helped keep tabs on them either.

I'm wondering how many Canadian teams will make it out of the first round.

– Windsordave

If you want to unload that non-effective free agent Antione Roussel if I was Dallas, I would take him back.

Nope, Dallas does NOT need Roussel back!

...------

If the 'Bolts get swept by Columbus, it will be even more embarrassing than when the Predators (who were the bottom seed that year) swept Chicago in the first round in 2017.

For years I scoffed at the "President's Trophy Curse"... But after last year and this year, not so much. Still, Tampa hasn't lost yet, although they're on life support right now.

We shall see. So far, the most exciting series to my eyes has been the Jets/Blues ruckus... They are playing "old-time" hockey right now, and it's a great series.

– Tartan Phantom

CHI: When you post your 2nd best regular season record since '26, and get swept in the 1st; after only scoring...4 (5?) goals in the series. That was painful to watch.

Last night's Toronto-Boston game was a blast. It's fun to watch good hockey without a horse in the race.

Tonight we'll see if Tampa Bay has anything. They have to figure out how to get into Columbus's zone & play smart hockey. It feels like they could do it. But it appears they are so used to being superior they forgot how to play a tough team like the Blue Jackets.

Bishop, our/Dallas' top-notch goalie let in 3 soft goals last night. The stadium was screaming.

Nashville ran the 1st period, and did a good job.

Dallas owned the 2nd and 3rd, got two hard-fought goals, and should have won, but...Freakin' H---!

Now it's on to game 4 Wednesday night. Let's go Dallas!

...------

Bishop, our/Dallas' top-notch goalie let in 3 soft goals last night. The stadium was screaming.

Nashville ran the 1st period, and did a good job.

Dallas owned the 2nd and 3rd, got two hard-fought goals, and should have won, but...Freakin' H---!

Now it's on to game 4 Wednesday night. Let's go Dallas!

...------

– indianation65

And of course, I'm on the other side of the rink.

Go Preds!

Even so, the way the Predators played the last half of their season, (very inconsistent) I'm not really expecting them to get far this year. The quality of play has been all over the map since January.

Nope, Dallas does NOT need Roussel back!

...------

– indianation65

He was pulling his weight here in Vancouver when he got knocked out for the season and will probably earn a spot on next year's roster.

Register Sign in to join the conversation