Miscellaneous Rumbles

New Year’s Musical Resolution for 2017?

What are you vowing to do in 2017 to make yourself a better player?

I'm planning on working on playing rhythm guitar, strumming chords and playing riffs that move the song along.

Gig 'till my fingers bleed. Rinse and repeat.

Play more, keep up my callouses and what few chops I have.

I have a list of tunes and a pile of sheet music to keep me busy in '17. Keeping up that thumb style is my big and continuing project.

1/2 hour on the classical guitar BEFORE breakfast, THEN go to the other stuff.

Now that we got our drummer up to speed, we're working on new songs, I got three cds to work on: one rockin, one mellow, and one of all my friend's material.

Get back to playing more acoustic. I want to get to the point where I can sing and play with a firm base of 20 songs and continually adding from there. This includes singing and hitting either strumming or flat picking patterns to really deliver the song.

Plan on doing a fair amount of legacy recording this year. Mostly classic country and rock stuff. Some Ventures tunes. Perhaps another jazz album.

Beyond that, I will continue on my lifelong quest to better my playing, one agonizingly miniscule step at a time...

• 12 more songs at 100% on Rocksmith

• Memorize the fretboard to try to figure out what makes a chord (and what a root is)

• learn two more jazz songs

• learn one more Christmas song

• record a short EP

• make a video with rhythm and lead tracks

• Buy some new things
  • See what happens
  • Let music be a source of joy

I'm planning on working on playing rhythm guitar, strumming chords and playing riffs that move the song along.

– drmilktruck

Same here.

Only use my electronic tuner when really needed.

Try and integrate bass more into my practice. Learn bass for all my songs.

1. Fix my pedalboard. I got frustrated with the Velcro always coming loose in transit so I glued everything down. Worked great until some issue(s) developed somewhere in there and now I'm stuck (literally). Not one of my brighter moments.

2. Learn more songs that aren't mine.

3. Get back into a working band again.

– drmilktruck

I have never seen it written or heard spoken, "work on playing rhythm guitar" as a goal or aspiration. As someone who likes and excels in that much maligned role ("why not be a 'complete guitar player'"), I salute you, doc!

My goal is to work on playing more flashy!

Seriously . . . I've started playing with four other guys in a Beatles Jam, but it's more of a tribute, because we try to play the tunes exactly (but tuned a half-step down for singing). I am playing rhythm, singing the George parts of the three-part harmony (which are a bitch) and doing some John and George tunes as lead vocalist. I want to keep learning my parts and get them to performance quality so we can gig.

I also want to start writing again, which I haven't done in a long while, and see if I can't do a solo acoustic or duo project.

And, of course, I hope to buy a Tenny 62 GE this year.

Spending more time with my local GDP friends.

I've been way too absent from music in general and the forum...2016 was a meat grinder and I'm not expecting 2017 to be much better, but that being said. Taking better care of myself musically is high on the list.

PRACTICE, PARACTICE, PRACTICE!

• more live gigs with my band Point Fifty (heavy metal)
  • establish a bigger following for the band.
  • publish the demo's we recorded (which we are mixing now)
  • writing at least 10 songs for the band, one each month. That's rhythm guitar, drum basics for structure, lyrics and vocal melody. Solo's are for the lead guitarist :))
  • some live solo gigs in local bars to satisfy the needs for "calmer" things besides the pumping power stuff
  • Do a co-op with some people I know. 1 Lives in England, the other in Germany and I live in Belgium; it will be all online.
  • work on my techniques, especially rock/metal stuff for the band
  • buy a new amp. It will be probably be a Marshall code 100 combo for live purposes. The Fender blues deluxe will remain my first love of course
  • pimp my Eastwood guitar with new pickups, locking tuners and possibly new heavy-duty bridge. I love the 23" scale length, size and weight of that thing. It's an ideal stage guitar. now it need to be in perfect and most of all durable condition to survive our heavy metal mayhem.
  • Get My Gretsch tweaked for optimal action and tuning stability (thanks all for the tips you provided me already; I know what to do)
  • work some on on jazz, mostly "jazzed up blues" style of things to enrich my solo work.
  • get my project guitar done; a cleaned up and tweaked cheap strat copy

Musically, I mainly want to keep improving my blues-rock soloing, and to also learn some new songs with my band. To assist with this, I like to use backing tracks from YouTube and plug my guitar into my computer interface and wail away with the headphones.

The main things I need to improve in terms of technique are note choices, phrasing, and right hand picking technique. And there are so many subtle things to learn about right hand - left hand coordination. For example, if you play, say, a simple pentatonic scale-based sequence, what notes do you pick? Which do you hammer on or pull off? What direction should you pick be moving to make fast alternate picking of notes smoother? And so on. There's a lot to practice and learn...

I find that when I gig, I tend to fall back on familiar licks and phrases for 12 bar solos. I want to break out of that by learning some new licks and tricks, AND learning to play the licks smoother and cleaner. It's essential, though, that these licks and phrases be automatic - I need to be able to play them without thinking so that I can concentrate on the overall performance and not worry so much about messing up the notes.

Oh, and I also want to keep improving my vibrato on all strings, especially blues style bend-vibrato.

Start writing songs again

Find and stay in a band!

I have never seen it written or heard spoken, "work on playing rhythm guitar" as a goal or aspiration. As someone who likes and excels in that much maligned role ("why not be a 'complete guitar player'"), I salute you, doc!

My goal is to work on playing more flashy!

Seriously . . . I've started playing with four other guys in a Beatles Jam, but it's more of a tribute, because we try to play the tunes exactly (but tuned a half-step down for singing). I am playing rhythm, singing the George parts of the three-part harmony (which are a bitch) and doing some John and George tunes as lead vocalist. I want to keep learning my parts and get them to performance quality so we can gig.

I also want to start writing again, which I haven't done in a long while, and see if I can't do a solo acoustic or duo project.

And, of course, I hope to buy a Tenny 62 GE this year.

– AndyJ

Thank you, Andy! I realize I'm not good enough to play lead so I'd rather have fun playing along with folks. (Maybe if more of us were happy being rhythm guitarists in life rather than lead players, the world would be a better place.)

I need to lose some weight, do some more fun things, and bitch and moan about politics a little less because it doesn't help, and it's depressing and annoying.

Register Sign in to join the conversation