Miscellaneous Rumbles

New guitar build

Finally got some shop time today so I ripped, planed, and joined this pretty piece of cherry. Hopefully it's going to be a LP DC Special when I'm finished.

Looking good! Is that bookmatched?

Keep the pix coming as it progresses

Looking good! Is that bookmatched?

– Otter

No, it was too wide for the planer so I ripped it first, then glued it back once it was planed.

Cool project. Interested in seeing how cherry works as a solid body guitar wood. Not sure why it's not used more..

Now that's a real build. Not like my "paint & assemble" builds.

Cool project. Interested in seeing how cherry works as a solid body guitar wood. Not sure why it's not used more..

– drmilktruck

Cherry should work well for a solid body guitar. It is very similar in hardness, weight, etc. to maple, mahogany and others.

One "issue" with cherry is that it tends to darken with age and is prone to color changes caused by lighting (sun and otherwise).

On the other hand, it is GORGEOUS wood which is why it has been a favorite for furniture and cabinetry applications.

In some areas it can be difficult to find in quantity and can be expensive.

Finally got some shop time today so I ripped, planed, and joined this pretty piece of cherry. Hopefully it's going to be a LP DC Special when I'm finished.

– 6stringcowboy

Wow -- this looks like a wonderful project!!! Best wishes to you for this effort, and please keep us updated!

Cherry gets better looking with age...probably my favorite.

If you haven't committed to a finishing plan, look up Watco Danish Oil and then the gelled wipe on Poly if you want a protective Top Coat.

Looks like you have a decent planer, from the pictures I see that the blades are set correctly and sharp too. Can I ask you what make and size it is. I need a new one. BTW that is a great method of achieving a fine bookmatch on thicker pieces of wood, otherwise back to the old band saw and resawing for thinner material and laminate. Real nice setting up of your build, no doubt you have the touch for it. Keep the pictures coming. On another note the lumber mills up and around here all offer something called Wild Cheery and it is taken from the woods locally. If it is real cheery and I think it is a wild species, the next time (soon) I'm at my favorite mill I'll take some shots of it. years ago I had a lot of 3/4" T&G flooring milled for a job and it finished phenomenally.

Chrisbo -- FWIW, I've been using a DeWalt 735 13" planer for about 2 years. It had the BEST ratings in the woodworking magazines I get and beat the competition by a LOT. It is excellent for snipe -- virtually undetectable. The only "knock" I've heard/read on it is blade/cutter life -- not great.

I have a small furniture/cabinetry business and I put a lot of miles on planers. In the past I've used Delta, Steel City and Craftsman. No comparison with the Dewalt, especially for snipe.

I installed Byrd Shelix helical cutter heads on mine when I got it. These offer a much smoother surface cut than standard blades (supposedly equal to 400 grit sandpaper....), they are QUIET compared to standard blades. They last "forever" -- at a minimum they have a built-in life equal to 4 sets of standard cutters. Expensive ($400+) but worth every penny IMO -- particularly if you factor in costs of standard blade replacements.

https://shelixheads.com/SHE...

Chrisbo, it's a 18 year old Delta 12". It does snipe a bit if you're not careful with long boards, but is avoidable. Fairly new blades though. I've been drooling over that DeWalt Senojnad is talking about though, 3 blades is better than 2

Yup I know the one. Thanks both of you, that little DeWalt has been getting great reviews, and is compact to boot, I could see that on a shop made mobile stand built to accommodate my runout tables. That would make it easy to tuck into a corner out of the way when not in use. Shop speak has always been a bit regional. We all know the word snipe as it pertains to any cutter, the word I grew up with was "chatter" mostly pertaining to planers. Just a neat tidbit about colloquialisms. We have some very good skilled woodworkers on the pages, impressive to say the least especially on guitar builds. I have been known to fiddle about with odd scraps of lumber myself from time to time and tho I have not yet tried a guitar build I think it is getting around time to tighten up my suspenders and give it a whirl. I love your posts so please don't get shy. Your building guitars on a guitar forum and your insight is invaluable. Thanks guys.

Slab sanded to #80 so I could see what I'm working with. Cut slab into 3 blanks. Got my body template mdf sized and going to cut it out next. Going to start with the longer piece. Also have a piece of hard maple that I think will be large enough for a neck.

Don't stop. I've been fantasizing about an LP junior build but with Gretsch Duo Jet lines. Your work is inspirational.

Looking good. Is that going to be a glued in neck joint or a bolt on. Joining neck to body, in my mind, seems to me to be the most critical job in the whole build.

Glued in neck joint. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intimidated by the canted mortise it requires.

Yeah It would intimidate me, I'd be setting up for hours and wait for the sun and moon to be aligned just just right before I'd turn on any tools because, and you must know more the anyone, that all the hard work to this point is depending on your next cuts. You are a better man then me my friend. And for the pickups and such. are you going to rout them free hand? Man you got me thinking, I'm going to watch you go through this and then try my own hand. All very cool. Keep us posted with pics. Seems you are about to turn the corner and have a new git in your arms.

So, the MDF that you see in the last pic is a template. I've now cut out the pickup routs and the cutout for the control cavity. I've cut out another MDF template for another cut out. Probably going to be cutting cherry next week as well as the maple laminated neck blank which is going to be 3 layers of maple and two thin strips of walnut in between to match the fret board.

Register Sign in to join the conversation