Miscellaneous Rumbles

Neil Peart RIP

The greatest drummer of my generation and in my opinion of all time with Buddy Guy coming in a close second.

Rats! This one hits me hard. As much as I liked his drumming, I enjoyed his writing even more. His chronicles of his adventures on his motorcycle are great fun and interesting. I’m heartbroken.

The greatest drummer of my generation and in my opinion of all time with Buddy Guy coming in a close second.

– Sitedrifter

Buddy Guy??

No!!!!

Never a big Rush fan, but 40 years ago when I was discovering the Stray Cats my closest friend was a huge Rush fan so I’ve been aware of them for ye long and kinda felt a kindred spirit for that reason. This hits home for a generational reason if nothing else.

RIP, Neil.

Sorry to hear this. Incredible drummer. Big car and motorcycle guy too. Shame... RIP Mr. Peart.

Aw man. Isn't Rush that new 2nd-gen prog-metal trio?

Where did the decades go...

... another band that can never have a reunion.

While Rush remains my favorite band I can't listen to for long (sorry, Geddy, your voice just drags fingernails across the chalkboard of my eardrums), I've always respected their musicianship and composition, and admired their integrity and refusal to compromise. This must hit Alex and Geddy very hard. I think Rush stands as the longest-lived trio in the biz, and as far as I know, they never considered personnel substitutions. We've lost a brilliant musician and a fixed point in a changing universe of music; they've lost a brother.

And brain cancer. My oldest friend (from the age of 4) and earliest musical cohort succumbed to brain cancer in 2018.

Dammit anyway.

Being a young drummer in the 70’s, he was the guy I idolized. The reason I had a Slingerland kit and used 747’s (with the finish sanded off).

RIP

Huge rush fan myself. He was the band's lyricist too and he wrote some great lyrics. He wasn't afraid to take chances in his lyrics or drumming.

Another sad one. I loved Neil’s drumming and lyrics. He brought so much to that band. RIP Neil.

Rush were also a big part of my musical story, they were a huge influence in the way my bass playing evolved, pity they never toured Down Under.

We watched a RUSH documentary over the Holidays. Curious story, curious sounds and lyrics, crazy voice, great guitars, and exceptional drumming.

Not a band you would have first picked to make it, but then became the signature sound of eclectic "North American" Prog "Heavy" Rock.

Neil could really play...explosive with finesse yet always driving the beat forward to the next place.

And then to learn all about his loss of daughter then wife...not very fair, now this.

RIP

I can admire Rush for what it was, but Geddy's voice (which I thought at first was actually a female) always reminded me of Ann Wilson (Heart) in a quieter mode, and I had no end of trouble rationalizing that sound in my head. So I have no emotional connection to Rush's music, though my brother collected anything and everything they did or said back in the day. I do recall the band was about as tight as they come, with a very well put-together overall sound.

That said, it's always sad when another one leaves us. It's yet another marker on the road of your own mortality, and once your'e past a certain age, you can't help but start wondering.

RIP, Neil.

Rush were an ideal band to come along at the right age for me, I was 15 when they broke large. Consequently, they were a favorite of many high school friends and I fell into their music as well.

Admittedly, for my prog and precision fix I was way more into bands like Yes and Frank Zappa, but I was deeply impressed by how much 3 musicians were able to accomplish. That degree of 'group mind' was only seen in bands like Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
This was taking that to a new place.

It was A Farewell To Kings that really got in, for me. Xanadu, Cygnus X1, ..just a really rich album.

I ended up catching Rush live around then, twice over the next couple of years. Both at Chicago's International Amphitheater (now long gone).

That was during their 'kimono' era, so lots of stage fog and a lingering air of theatrical pretense. They were still earning their mantle. Although I moved on to engage in other bands and various music over the following years, Rush remained in my peripheral vision. And over that time I was absolutely delighted to see the band reveal themselves as the goofballs they really are.
Rush became confident enough in their abilities as a band, and comfortable enough as people, to take the piss out of themselves, and I loved them even more for that. The intros filmed for their show openings are hysterical.

Aside from being one of the greatest and most accomplished drummers, Neil was a prolific writer and loved biking to travel. He found everyday people of the world fascinating, but was incredibly reserved about his own fame and notoriety.
His humility was truly genuine.

This video offers a lovely glimpse into the warmth and love these guys shared together, as a band, as music fans, as longtime friends.

Neil really loved to laugh.

Say it isn't so! Major bummer, I've admired Rush's music for decades. RIP Neil Peart.

RUSH was the SH*t for me as a teenage drummer and Neil Peart was a Drum God in my eyes. Trying to emulate Mr. Peart on the kit, just showed how truly unique and special his playing style was, and how mortal all of us were compared to him.

A fantastic drummer , head and shoulders above the rest and also a great human being to say the least.

R.I.P.

Being a lifelong drummer myself, I have always had such great respect for Neil Pert. His stick control was second to only Buddy Rich; maybe not even Buddy as their styles were different. I remember that at one time, Neil travelled to NYC to study from one of the great jazz drummers whose name escapes me at the moment. There ended up being nothing the “mentor” could do for Pert as he was that good. Let us not forget Neils lyrical contributions either.

Finally, Neil Pert as well as the other members of Rush always seemed to remain grounded and were never consumed by their success. It WAS about the music. RIP, Neil.

Neil has said that he got a lot from jazz drum instructor Freddie Gruber. More fluid movement and much more swing.

Here is Neil swinging it with Buddy's band at The Ritz, in 1991.

As a drummer he seemed to leave no stone unturned.

Neil has said that he got a lot from jazz drum instructor Freddie Gruber. More fluid movement and much more swing.

– Bob Howard

The cool thing Freddy emphasized and Neil totally understood is that there are a thousand milliseconds between each beat. So much space to explore. Neil was the master at wandering off beat, only to catch up at the crucial moment.

“the spaces in between leave room for you and I to grow”.

Kenny Aronoff honored Neil in Billboard and talked about their friendship.

R I P Legend Neil.

Jeez. I really admired this guy, his way of thinking, his professionalism, abilities and his way with a word. so crisp with a stick or mallet. A very important band to me. Thanks, Neil.

Register Sign in to join the conversation