Miscellaneous Rumbles

Need Help Choosing Scotch

Wow! There is a lot of knowledge here. I don't know much about scotch, but I do love Black Grouse - (renamed Famous Grouse Smoky Black). They say it's the #1 Scotch in Scotland.

I have a bottle of 40 year aged Glenfiddich sold by Costco. It's pretty intense, and I'm not sure I fully appreciate it.

While on tour of England, in 2012, we were gifted a gorgeous bottle of Highland Park by an Orkneyman who journeyed the farthest to attend a show! As we couldn’t carry it back to the States with us, the only logical choice was to share with the band and management. Needless to say, happy campers all!

Deed, gifts like that are truly best when shared... nice job.

For a REALLY peaty whisky, give Octomore a go. I first tried it a few years ago at a whisky bar in Aberdeen. I read that Lagavullin (my go to) is ~65ppm peat and Octomore is 165ppm peat. If you could bottle a campfire and drink it, that's Octomore.

https://www.bruichladdich.c...

I tend to drink Islays exclusively and rarely stray over to some highlands like Oban or Dalmore. The only speyside I can get into is Macallan, and that's rare. Auchentoshan (lowland) has some interesting stuff. I had a bottle of the cask strength I received as a gift a few years ago. It was nice.

But Lagavullin, man that is where it's at. At least for me.

While on tour of England, in 2012, we were gifted a gorgeous bottle of Highland Park by an Orkneyman who journeyed the farthest to attend a show! As we couldn’t carry it back to the States with us, the only logical choice was to share with the band and management. Needless to say, happy campers all!

– Deed Eddy

Highland Park is indeed a lovely dram.

I now have it on good authority that Laphraoig is my family member's go-to Scotch. Dag Nabbit these single malt scotches are pricy!

Once on a Biz Trip I took a peer of mine to see my wife's Grandmother in Canton, OH. We had a some extra time with our layover so we did Happy Hour with her drinking Dewars.

He was all Laphraoig. Just as the Grandparents were always Dewars. 3 fingers over Ice twice before Supper. Full-fledged Scotch drinkers.

They had a great time chatting, 3 fingers might have gone 3x around that night!

6stringcowboy is right - Laphroaig = iodine, Lagavulin = smoke. I don't mind Laphroaig but I LOVE Lagavulin. Intensely smoky, peaty goodness with less of the sweaty socks of Laphroaig. 16 yr old Lagavulin is simply wonderful. I like it neat. Take a dram, roll it around in your mouth and savour the heat.

I also really like Talisker, from Skye. It's milder and easier to drink but still has a ton of flavour - all of it good. For me the Speysides remind of drinking too much Glenfiddich in my youth. Not a good thing! Some of the highland malts are incredible - it's almost impossible to imagine that they are the same class of drink as the Islays, they are so different. Some taste so sweet and fruity it's remarkable.

But for smoky and peaty for me it's got to be Lagavulin or Talisker.

Laphroaig is my fav, but it's very peaty/smoky. Lagavullin is also smoky, but less so, and more balanced overall, but it's pricey. Bowmore is also a smoky but well balanced one, and much less than Lagavulin

Register Sign in to join the conversation