Miscellaneous Rumbles

NBBQD

Inspired somewhat by ThePolecats recent bbq post Mrs Deke and I treated ourselves to a Char Broil Big Easy SRG today (can’t pretend I wasn’t the driving force).

First up was a dry rubbed rack of pork ribs with baked spud, smoked with hickory chips.

Colour me impressed. Best result I’ve ever got from a bbq, ‘specially a gas fired one.

Here’s how it looked pre-cook. Sorry, no pics of post-cook, it all got demolished pretty quickly

Rub ingredients:

• 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion granules
  • 1 tsp Mediterranean herbs
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Next time, add a 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of cumin to the rub and you'll be on point! Don't use too much-- a little cumin goes a long way, but when you get it right, it acts as a flavor enhancer without adding too much pungency.

Looks good, Deke!

Nice going Deke and must say this pic comes on a day when I was sooooooo close to still going to the butcher after I had a very little but painful surgery on my today.......couldn't do it though and knew the smart decision was just drive home as the local anesthesia was wearing off.

+1 on the cumin recommendation but you did smoke them and hickory is flavor heaven. Ribs w/ a dry rub is perfection.....nice job!!!!!

Chez Martin is pretty much Cumin Ground Zero. I love the stuff, and Rachel uses it a lot, but it was a nice change having a meal that drew its flavours from elsewhere.

I followed a recipe I found online and other than being a little salt-heavy it was pretty darn’ good.

Char Broil you say? Big Easy you say? Dedicated fanboy since 2012. Congrats, its a great way to cook just about anything.

Big Easy Wings right before drop-in...

Ooh, that’s lookin’ good, Doug!

I think chicken is next on the official list, but I may bang out some sausages for breakfast tomorrow - just in the name of research, you understand...

As in your house, I was not the driving force.
Mrs. Fieldhdj: I want one of those oil less fryers - in time for Thanksgiving.
Me: What?
Mrs Fieldhdj: Go down to Academy and get one of those oil less fryers Me: Oil less fryer? That's an oxymoron... Mrs Fieldhdj: Go.

I'd been deep frying turkeys for a few years - I didn't think it could be improved upon, but I I was happy to be proven wrong.

Actually Doug, I was the driving force although Rachel’s a complete convert now. We just had some of yesterday’s ribs cold (I misled you, we didn’t demolish it all, I forgot we had some left) and I have to say it tasted even better cold.

This morning’s sausage sandwich for breakfast was also a 100% success.

Looking forward to trying a beer can chicken at the weekend

Beer can chicken is a big favorite for Sunday dinners here. An overnight application of your favorite dry rub or a good brining makes it even better.

I got the kabob skewers accessory for Father’s Day last year. I’ll be breaking those out this weekend.

Gotta be honest Deke, even though I know that's not fish I was immediately transported to our dinner with Richard Baguley and his wife Patricia at the Green Man pub in Kent where the haddock was not to your liking. Ah good times. Hope all is well.

Ah, The Green Man. Those were the days. Rachel and I love that pub, and that one bad meal notwithstanding we go there a lot - or at least did before CV shut everything down. John's not the landlord anymore, but the young couple who have taken it over seem to be doing a reasonably good job. The atmosphere is quite different in there now and it no longer offers such a wide choice on the dining menu, but it's still nice.

Deke congrats on making some fine smoked ribs and buying a Char Broil Big Easy SRG. I have a Big Easy but not the smoking version just regular one. I can tell you the Big Easy makes amazing turkey and chicken that really gimmicks real deep fried chicken and turkey. But yours also smokes so that really is good because you can do either or or both. Your pre-cooked ribs looks great. Your rub is a good recipe. When you do more smoked meats please post pics. Love to see you work. Lastly glad I was able to sort of encourage you to get into smoking meat by some of my postings of my smoked meats.

Yeah, the SRG really is turning in some impressive results.

I just went out and cooked a half-dozen sausages, 8 or so burgers, 8 or so ribs, but I did them on the grill part as you would a normal BBQ. The first tranche came out awesome, but I let the 2nd tranche cook a little too long and they came out a little dry. Hey-ho, it's a learning curve and I'm in for the long haul.

I have to say that I was a little horrified to learn you guys deep-fry entire turkeys! I didn't even know such a practice existed until I researched this machine. I could feel my arteries hardening at the very thought, but when I really thought about it I guess it's no different to deep-frying chicken legs or cod fillets. In fact, when you take into consideration the surface area-to-volume ratio there's probably less contact with the fat when you deep-fry a whole bird compared to your average KFC portion.

So tell me, do you guys roast things in the oven? For us the conventional way to cook a turkey or chicken would be to roast it in an oven, preferably basted in goose or beef fat.

Way to go, Deke! You did well in choosing a good model. I remember reading your interest in getting into the meat smoking scene, on the other thread started by, ThePolecats. I was secretly hoping that you would get a smoker, and see what all the rave is about.

Poultry does very well on a smoker. Remember that the smoke will turn all meat, poultry, and fish pink, so the pinkness you will see in chicken and turkey, is perfectly normal, as long as you reach the proper internal temperature for the proper amount of time.

Smoked turkey is one of my favorites, a whole brisket (cut in half) is another. Of course, anything in the pork category is awesome. So welcome to the brotherhood, you are now promoted to honorary rank of "Grill Sergeant"!

Yeah, the SRG really is turning in some impressive results.

I just went out and cooked a half-dozen sausages, 8 or so burgers, 8 or so ribs, but I did them on the grill part as you would a normal BBQ. The first tranche came out awesome, but I let the 2nd tranche cook a little too long and they came out a little dry. Hey-ho, it's a learning curve and I'm in for the long haul.

I have to say that I was a little horrified to learn you guys deep-fry entire turkeys! I didn't even know such a practice existed until I researched this machine. I could feel my arteries hardening at the very thought, but when I really thought about it I guess it's no different to deep-frying chicken legs or cod fillets. In fact, when you take into consideration the surface area-to-volume ratio there's probably less contact with the fat when you deep-fry a whole bird compared to your average KFC portion.

So tell me, do you guys roast things in the oven? For us the conventional way to cook a turkey or chicken would be to roast it in an oven, preferably basted in goose or beef fat.

– Deke Martin

Hi Deke!! Good point about deep frying a turkey. Yes, an amount of the turkey actually comes in contact with the fat and instead, it does the opposite. The heat of the oil immediately seals the turkey and it's natural juices, creating a crisp skin that keeps the oil from the fryer out.

And yes, I still use the oven to roast.....A lot!!! A list of the last few things oven roasted: 1) brined turkey breast, a stove-top seared top-round beef roast with roasted root vegetables, meatballs......I can make 30 - 40 much easier, oven-roasted plum tomatoes......they are cut in half with the middle part and seeds scooped out, drizzled in olive oil and each with fresh rosemary. Tomatoes are started out at 400 deg. F for 25 minutes and then dropped to 275 for another 40 minutes.

NJ is right about the frying in oil process - it’s always juicy but the EZ comes out just as well AND you can use rubs, something that doesn’t work well in the deep fry.

The only time I roast chicken in the oven anymore is in the winter, but I still like to Use the oven to slow roast beef.

Once I started cooking the Thanksgiving turkey in the fryer, Mrs. Fieldhdj said the oven was now hers for the Thanksgiving holiday, so an oven roast is pretty much right out.

Well, today is beer can chicken day. I’ve got a smoke box full of hickory, a beer can chicken roaster, a decent size chicken and a can of Hobgoblin to poke up its doodah. We’re going without a rub this time just to see what flavours come from the smoke and beer alone.

Wish me luck!

Wade, I just revisited Polecats’ Pulled Pork thread and saw the rub recipe you posted. Many thanks for that and apologies for missing it before. We’ll certainly give it a try!

Well, I said without a rub, but I gave the ol’ girl a good going over with full fat dairy butter. Thankfully there was enough left over for the chicken.

Register Sign in to join the conversation