Miscellaneous Rumbles

Name that Gretsch

Watching repeats of Top of the Pops from the 1980’s - it was quite good fun playing spot the gretsch among the bands - almost every band featured on the last repeat I saw played at least 1 gretsch it was the 80’s so mimed playing it.

Yes! It always surprises me just how often you see Gretsch being played by all manor of artists.

i think that in the 80s Gretsches were relatively inexpensive in Britain compared to other big brands, as were Telecasters which you see all the time in post-punk. (i remember how early 60s Teles were going for $200 in mid-80s California cos nobody wanted them.) broke kids in the UK weren't going to be shelling out for '59 Les Pauls.

i think that in the 80s Gretsches were relatively inexpensive in Britain compared to other big brands, as were Telecasters which you see all the time in post-punk. (i remember how early 60s Teles were going for $200 in mid-80s California cos nobody wanted them.) broke kids in the UK weren't going to be shelling out for '59 Les Pauls.

– macphisto

Which was exactly Leo Fender's intention with the Tele --- a functional, no-frills instrument for working musicians.

Register Sign in to join the conversation