Miscellaneous Rumbles

My stomach has been in knots for months.

New senior management took over in January. A bunch of really productive talented people have been unceremoniously let go. Each day, I think I'm about to be fired. It seems clear that it's just a matter of time. It's the most stressful thing I've ever experienced. Difficult to explain to my family. Sorry, just wanted to vent anonymously. JP

Unfortunately, that seems to be a sign of the times. Hopefully things will settle down for you. In Canada, if you're unceremoniously discharged, you can appeal to the Employment Standards branch of the gov't under the unjustified dismissal act. Companies don't like tangling with this agency. This protection of workers is nationwide.....the US has a great many 'at will' hiring states - disgusting policy - where there's absolutely no protection for workers that aren't in a union or have a contract. Good luck.

Management doesn't care. Employees are just another cost factor to them. They often relocate you to keep you more tied to them.

I worked at universities most of my life. Employees came and went at an incedible rate. Steel plant I worked at managing a 90 M pound inventory had a change of management when someone retired. All bets were off, all promises were broken. My wife worked for a branch of the same company. When they got bought out, even with promises to the employees, the place was closed in less than a year. They just wanted the client list. I grew up in the auto industry. Much of my family worked at Studebakers. I even worked in their parts house while in high school. I watched a town go to pieces when the largest employer closed up. Guys committed suicide, there were no jobs. Period. Even when I got out of the service years later, there were no jobs. A third of the town was gone. Instead, I worked for the state universities in different cities. Wasn't going to get rich, but the wife and daughter got fed and cared for. At this point, I'm glad I'm retired. Things started getting too annoying on campus.

Good luck to you, Jopapa. If the writing's on the wall, move on. They won't do you any favors. Start job hunting before everyone else has to. Remember, it IS who you know. Contacts are important. I wish you well.

Feeling like you do, how about being proactive about the situation? Take some classes or training to add to your skill set, start putting together a resume, enhance and reactivate your personal network, look at the jobs websites and apply for anything that looks appealing. I don't know how old you are or what your job involves. Seek out and talk to people working at the competition. Maybe there's an opening. Check with your friends. Don't just wait for it to happen. If there's absolutely nothing available in your current field, take training in another one. Right now, you're in a no-win situation. If you keep your job, you will have lived through a ton of stress that you don't need. If you eventually lose your job, you will be living through a ton of stress that you don't need. The sooner you try to take charge, the less stress you will hopefully endure. Develop a plan and implement it. Go get 'em!!!!!

Last week, it was reported that the unemployment rate in the US was at the lowest level in 18+ years. That might bode well for your future. I hope that it all works out well for you.

Come up with a plan if it does happen. Worrying about things you can't control will eat you alive. Plan, network with former colleagues and friends...and pray.

For most of my life I have run my own shop, that requires loyalty from my guys as well as me. When the economy runs down then my shop does too, and folk are let go, they seem to me to wait in the wings for me to fire up again. If I ever needed to FIRE a guy then I did it quickly and in person with as little pain as possible on both sides. Through the years I have taken positions with big construction corps building everything from over passes to skyscrapers I was always management, the money was always over the roof and I always brought my crew with me when I could.( that meant they needed their union dues payed up) I never liked the travel, I am a home body, And the most distasteful thing was to put a hard working man on the street. That was part of my job. I guess I'm not and never really have been into that level of bean counting. You will come up smelling like roses Jo.

Good luck with that and I echo NJ Bob's words and BB.

Bright side, unemployment is at an historic low. Who wants to work in that environment at any stage in a career. If you don't want to have a "break" then start interviewing now for your new job, always easier to get one the you have one (apparently it applies to a lot of things).

"I've been thrown out of better places than this".

At my previous job of 15 years, they dangled that sword over our heads as a supposed motivator, and it worried me for about three years, then it angered me enough that I was prepared for it, looking and finding other opportunities.

A slight shift in perspective and attitude will do you worlds of good.

I been in that situation a couple of times, and each time I got to the point where I had to take control and start looking for other work while still employed . . .and I have even resigned before landing the next gig when things got to be too much. The latter was risky, but I didn't regret the decision. I think I would have regretted wasting months of my life being miserable and still getting fired. Getting severence and collecting unemployment are small consolations in light of putting up with the stress while waiting and the damage being fired does to one's psyche.

Do what you think is best in light of your own circumstances, but taking control in some fashion does help.

Peace

Jopapa, I've been through this too, and it is torcher on the mind, body, and soul.

Don't know all of your particulars, but I was in a remote/rural location, and the employer was huge. I waited for the axe, as I didn't want to move at the time, and wanted the severance package from the SOB's.

It took a year and a half before they "got" me. When the axe hit, it was the happiest day of my life, as the stress was finally over.

The next day, the sun still rose, and I felt alive again. It was a life changing experience, and I vowed never to work for another "big" company, and just become another "number"

All that I can tell you is hang tough, and life will get better than ever after this event is over.

Best to you and just be strong, and think of things that YOU want to do.

I went through that a couple times in the 80s and 90s. The whole layoff/downturn thing led to a career change. I was laid off from a major bank in NYC, then had the layoff suspended while they threw a few projects my way. During that time, I saw the entire department I had worked in moved from Manhattan to Stamford CT, where the boss lived. No relocations offered. I suspected it was a ploy to shed workers w/o layoffs. A heartless, cynical play. So when real job offers came from within the company, I said no. Became a consultant. Sure enough, not long after I left, that department moved back to NYC. 40 percent of the people there had moved on, unable to make that commute. Mission accomplished.

I never regretted my decision. Had I stayed an employee, it would have been constant worry. Especially with age discrimination kicking in hard.

Sorry to hear about this Jopapa as I have been throught this in the past (more than once unfortunately) throught no fault of my own and never saw any termination coming. All I would say is one step at a time, you are sill there. Maybe you have been at your company for many years and never had a reason to look elsewhere or have a resume so panic sets in.

It's alway good to have a resume in your hip pocket.

If it does happen, remember the sun will still rise up the next day and you have do deal with finding something. This maybe the hardest job you ever had.

Lastly, and I'm am a beliver in this. Good People will always find work.

Wish you well

Im on the opposite end of the spectrum, Work is plentiful, so much so that I Quit my job because I was sick of IT and the people involved.. What did Johnny Paycheck say?

Ive turned down 5 job offers so far and now after a few months at home Im ready to get back in the Rat Race.

Dont despair, the Economy is improving greatly and at the moment there is alot of activity in many Job sectors. Like a few here have said, put your feelers out and see whats available.

I really empathise. I’ve only ever been employed on fixed term contracts and now Brexit threatens to endanger my right to live and work in the country I’ve called my home for twelve years. The realisation that you can’t earn a company’s loyalty no matter how good you are at your job is awful. My deepest sympathies!

Thanks all! I'm embarrassed to say that it was kind of the bourbon talking last night. I mean, it's all accurate, but I'm not usually one to complain. (That's what songwriting is for.) So I was nervous today when I checked the thread but happy to find your supportive responses. This afternoon, I went to one of those short, depressing celebrations for a co-worker who decided to jump before he was pushed. My plan is to keep my head down and keep knocking out the work--not to prove my value but because when I slow down, I get depressed. Distraction is good. Thanks again for your kind words. They genuinely helped lift my spirits.

My plan is to keep my head down and keep knocking out the work

Keep your head up, and look for opportunities. Start the job hunt now and see what's out there.

If you're as good a worker as you say someone will pay your worth to have you work for them.

One thing about that saying "Change is good": It is, but it's also uncomfortable at times. Get used to it.

Good luck.

Bourbon, well, yes please!

It's better to look for a new job while you already have one, not when you don't. If it's causing you worry and issues, move on. Life's too short for that kind of aggravation. Be well.

Jopapa: Having been a govt. employee my whole career (own set of headaches) I've got no advice for you, just support. The folks here are usually pretty even keeled in their advice. Keep the faith.

Register Sign in to join the conversation