Miscellaneous Rumbles

my future place to record and play guitar in the attic of my old ho…

I love that French parking! Only in France...

– JimmyR

Only in France ????? are you stupid ? anywhere you can see cars parks like that.

You'd get a ticket (or towed) if you parked on the sidewalk most places here in the U.S.

Fabulous house Didier D! And your "new room" looks like it will be wonderful! Best wishes with it!

I know they park like that in Germany, too. Must be a European thing. I like it.

Didier, is "stupid" your English word for some less aggressive or insulting word in French, or do you really mean to sound nasty and rude?

And for what it's worth - as Charlie points out - parking on the "banquette" may be common in Europe, where space is more constrained in older cities. But we don't see cars parked like that in the US. At least not for long. They'd first be ticketed, then towed.

Maybe you were "unaware" of that. (I wouldn't say "stupid.")

Nope, in Australia you would get a hefty fine for parking like that. Sorry for being so stupid: I will refrain from commenting in your posts in future.

Nope, in Australia you would get a hefty fine for parking like that. Sorry for being so stupid: I will refrain from commenting in your posts in future.

– JimmyR

Yes, JimmyR, clearly there's no place for your congenial and complimentary tone in a guitar discussion forum.

There's a small town near Chicago where the streets are so narrow you have to park like that to leave enough room on the road for cars to go thru---single lane at that.

By the way Didier---beautiful old house!

You'd get a ticket (or towed) if you parked on the sidewalk most places here in the U.S.

– Charlie Vegas

No it's free

I hadn't realized how high the ceiling is---plenty of room! It's looking good.

The biggest problem you'll have is hauling your music gear up and down the stairs.

What dimensions will the room have when it's done, Didier?

What dimensions will the room have when it's done, Didier?

– sascha

about 30 m2 for me and 50 m2 for relaxing

Only in France ????? are you stupid ? anywhere you can see cars parks like that.

– DIDIER D

Oh my. I could see that one coming a mile away. Or maybe I should say 1.6 km away.

When I lived in Germany, you always parked in that manner. And the cars there were built where you could turn on the parking lamp on just the side hanging a bit into the street so that other drivers wouldn't inadvertently smack into the corner of your car.

I miss those days of narrow cobbled streets.

– DIDIER D

Oh goodness. Did Didier's reply make anyone else than me think of this scene...?

Guys, I don't think Didier meant to be rude. Not easy writing in a foreign language...

And our old towns were certainly not meant for cars, unlike the US...

Guys, I don't think Didier meant to be rude. Not easy writing in a foreign language...

And our old towns were certainly not meant for cars, unlike the US...

– Thomas

sometime i don't understand US jokes ? sorry i'm french.

Ils ont juste trouvé que ton "stupid" était un peu agressif, Didier!

my music piece yesterday

Didier, is "stupid" your English word for some less aggressive or insulting word in French, or do you really mean to sound nasty and rude?

And for what it's worth - as Charlie points out - parking on the "banquette" may be common in Europe, where space is more constrained in older cities. But we don't see cars parked like that in the US. At least not for long. They'd first be ticketed, then towed.

Maybe you were "unaware" of that. (I wouldn't say "stupid.")

– Proteus

"Stupid" is not aggressive in most cases in French. I am sure that Didier meant "That's silly!" or "What a silly idea!"

Having lived in England for a year and a half, I'm well aware of parking along the edge of the streets. When you have a lace that's been occupied for millennia, not centuries, you get narrow streets as 1500 years ago, no one was concerned with where we'd park in the 21th Century. There are streets in England and many other places where you can't drive a car thru, much less park. The first thing I noticed in Europe is that things are much older than we're used to here in the States. I thoroughly enjoyed the historic aspects, as well as the modernity.

Register Sign in to join the conversation