Miscellaneous Rumbles

My Favorite “Burton”

TP, I think that another consideration is how they impacted the music scene when they were releasing hits. For my way of thinking, not all that much. Again, not denying their popularity with their hit songs, but they were never as significant in my mind as other artists were.

Beatbyrd, I totally get what you are saying about Burton's voice. It worked well on American Woman. Not sure why they didn't have Randy Bachman singing more than they did.

Richard Burton, the explorer---first non Moslem to make the Hajj.

Actually, I enjoyed Big Fish.

– wabash slim

Sir Richard Burton may not have been a Muslim himself, however, he is considered to have been a Sufi and did much to translate classic Sufi literature for Westerners --- notably the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

For those unfamiliar with the term, the Sufi tradition is often regarded as the mystical core of Islam, but the Sufis themselves trace their lineage and teachings back much farther than the Prophet Mohammed --- to ancient Egypt and even beyond.

TP, I think that another consideration is how they impacted the music scene when they were releasing hits. For my way of thinking, not all that much. Again, not denying their popularity with their hit songs, but they were never as significant in my mind as other artists were.

Beatbyrd, I totally get what you are saying about Burton's voice. It worked well on American Woman. Not sure why they didn't have Randy Bachman singing more than they did.

– Ric12string

I wonder if this would make for an interesting thread..... Singers who you really liked at one time who you can't stand now. With Burton's voice, it's mostly when he gets into the higher notes that I tune out.

Yes, the first "Batman" movie should have been called "The Joker," since it was all about Nicholson, a poor choice in my opinion. The younger actor, Hugo Blick, who played the young "Jack Napier" should have been the modern Joker that Batman fought. Tim Burton made some poor choices.

The hype over that first Batman movie was outrageous, and the only thing worse than those first two Burton movies, were the ones that followed done by J. Schumacher. Those were dreadful, along with most of his movies. Good grief!

Addendum: It's still probably a great life being a Hollywood director, no matter what you put out.

...-------

No "Nightmare Before Christmas" fans? Tough room.

I wonder if this would make for an interesting thread..... Singers who you really liked at one time who you can't stand now. -- Beatbyrd

I suppose that there is only one way to find out now, isn't there?

I did like "The Nightmare Before Christmas," but I did not include it.

Tim Burton did not direct it. He wrote it.

I do like how well-known pieces of music are re-recorded with minor keys to make them sound somber.

...------

Along with Burton Cummings, here's one of my favorite Burtons that no one has mentioned so far, Gary Burton. Heck of a touch. His early album, Tennessee Firebird produced by Chet Atkins who also guested on the album, was an odd mix of styles but worked. Here's a clip from one of his concerts, reuniting with 3 previous quintet members.

I am ambivalent about the Guess Who being HOF members. They definitely had some hits:

• American Woman (ironic coming from a Canadian band)
  • These Eyes
  • No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature
  • Undun
  • Laughing
  • No Time
  • Share The Land
  • Hand Me Down World

But, for me, with the exception of American Woman, which was truly a mega-hit, all the rest of their commercially popular songs seemed to be lesser hits. Without doing the research, I can't say for sure, but my memory tells me that their position in the Top Ten would have been at the lower rungs and that they didn't stay all that long in the list.

As for the original topic, I like Edward Scissorhands. Didn't see Pee Wee's Great Adventure, but I am sure that I would like it inasmuch as I was a Pee Wee fan. (I was just watching some videos of him recently and was inspired to try to find the movie on Netflix. Inertia has gotten the best of me thus far, however.) Otherwise, not a big Tim Burton guy. But, definitely a James Burton guy here!

– Ric12string

Did someone say the guess who? There a few more hits I could add to the mix but perhaps they where not hits in the USA, I'm actually surprised that they haven't got on the list or even mentioned. They where the first band from Canada to have a #1 single on both sides of the boarder. A great achievement especially with all the great music at the time. Some of there other hits Sour Suite Hang on to your life Rain Dance Follow Your Daughter Home Guns Guns Guns Heart Broken Bopper Glamour Boy Star Baby Dancin' Fool I'll stop now....

Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, and Bulleit

Sorry, I misread the original question. Happy Easter.

Along with Burton Cummings, here's one of my favorite Burtons that no one has mentioned so far, Gary Burton. Heck of a touch. His early album, Tennessee Firebird produced by Chet Atkins who also guested on the album, was an odd mix of styles but worked. Here's a clip from one of his concerts, reuniting with 3 previous quintet members.

– Windsordave

I worked a Gary Burton show years ago. Good Hoosier boy. Nice guy, very personable, vibraphonist par excelance!

"Beetlejuice 2" and a live-action version of "Dumbo" are both in pre-production.

Here's to hoping for the best in "Burton."

...------

– Windsordave

Actually, I put up a modest post a bit earlier, It directed to a tune Ballet.

Late in the '60s I was lucky to see the Gary Burton Quartet at the Student Union Ballroom at UNL. It was originally scheduled on the mall, but it was a rainy day. Since I had a cold, I was heavily medicated with the cold cure at the time.

The room was extremely humid and somewhat warm. The music and the environment made me float out of my seat.

Larry Coryell was pushing the guitar conventions at the time. Steve Swallow was suspected of being one of the authors of the real book. Roy Haynes was just great.

I think y'all should listen to Duster, best album most people never heard.

Lee

I kinda like THIS one

This one,too.

It's great to see/read about all these other "Burtons," but I was specifying and asking what was/is your favorite "Tim Burton movie," if any.

No problem, I don't mind being reminded of all the others Burtons that touched us.

Keep'em comin'!

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation