Miscellaneous Rumbles

My Favorite “Burton”

Tim Burton movies...some of them I like, a few I truly love, and many I think are terrible to dreadful.

• Which Burton movies did you like/dislike? *

Here's a snippet...

Like/love--

Pee-wee's Big Adventure--loved

Beetlejuice--liked despite the dinner scene, (bad song choice)

Edward Scissorhands--loved

Ed Wood--loved

Sleepy Hollow--loved

Big Fish--liked, I think, but I can't remember it.

Terrible/dreadful--

Batman--silly, didn't like it

Batman Returns--sillier, hated it

Planet of the Apes--just awful/dreadful. How someone could make a bad movie out of this story is shocking.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--just aw'fuller/dreadful'er

Corpse Bride--I can't remember much of it, but I think I did not like it.

Alice in Wonderland--a drag, hated it.

Dark Shadows--don't remember it, but since it was a comedy, I blocked the memory of it out.

Mrs. Pelican's House for Retarded Children--or whatever it was called, just boring, hated it.

I left several movies out, mostly the later ones, for one main reason. I believe I outgrew the "Burton/Depp" collaboration. I can't take these two cats anymore, but I'm sure as Hollywood big shots, they still live fabulous lives despite the fact that Indianation doesn't like some of their movies! Doh!

Any takers, comments? I did not elaborate much. I just left tidbits.

Addendum: "Planet of the Apes" was on yesterday, and I started watching it, remembering how much I hated it. I now have Tim Burton on my mind.

Addendum II: To be known as the October man, the "Halloween" man in Hollywood, is waaaayyy cool though!

...------

I can take or leave Tim Burton movies....but here's my favorite Burton.

Richard Burton, the explorer---first non Moslem to make the Hajj.

Actually, I enjoyed Big Fish.

"Beetlejuice 2" is being made.

At least Winona Ryder, one of my dream women, is back for 2!

I've craved her for years.

Addendum: I have yet to see "1" Hollywood Batman movie that I liked. I hated all of them, including the "dark" ones. As far as Tim Burton, I do like him and many of his movies. I give "him" a thumbs up, but not many of his movies.

Addendum II: I would have liked to see where the Burton/Cage version of "Superman Lives" might have gone.

...------

Robert Burton, author of The Anatomy of Melancholy, first published in 1621 — essential reading. First brush up on your Latin.

I guess I meant "Which Tim Burton movies" did you guys like or dislike.

...------

Favorite Burton? That's easy. Da guy with the 'fro playing flute and singing here:

Oh, TIM Burton? Films?

also easy-- in no particular order--

Ed Wood

Sleepy Hollow

Mars Attacks!

original Frankenweenie short (1984)

Batman had the most wonderful Gothic Gotham City, from the incredible imagination and vision of Anton Furst-

Ed Wood is "Perfect!" from start to finish.

Ed Wood was great. But I'm going with James too

Come on, the guy is flat out awful. His remakes are the key to understanding how little this guy knows about film. His remakes illustrate that Burton lacks any ability to understand what made PLANET OF THE APES, WILLY WONKA great films. He takes those films, great material, and does not get the why they are great films. It's like he has Babe Ruth on his team and he uses him only as a pinch runner. Completely clueless.

The best Burton film is actually the one he never made -- that Superman film. The documentary on the making of that film was fantastic. Even Burton being in it could not ruin it.

That's the spirit Mr. Spiritwalker, shout it out!

I do think Burton's remakes are not good. I stated as such, but some of his movies I liked a lot.

Bring'em!

...------

Yup! Those Gotham City drawings are way better than the Burton Batman movies!

...------

I seriously can not say that I have enjoyed any of his films...and I've seen many of them. I mostly detest them. PLANET OF THE APES still hurts. The one film I feel I might enjoy - ED WOOD - I have not seen. One day I will view it just to see more of that Landau performance.

That first BATMAN film was a HUGE event if you remember. I went to a first showing at midnight, place was hyped up and packed...oh, my, what a piece of garbage. Never understood why the movie wasn't called JOKER. It was really all about him and he was the only thing worth watching. A miserable film. Yet another Burton film that angered me when it was over. Yes, when I see a very bad film I get ANGRY! You should have seen me as I left the theater after Sylvester Stallone's COBRA.

The Burt.

Pee Wee, Beetlejuice. I can't recall if I've seen any of the others.

Big Eyes, my mother liked that.

Mars Attacks! At the beginning, when the guy asks, "Do you smell barbecue?", and a herd of flaming cows comes running by, I knew it'd be an "interesting" movie.

Dark Shadows---was a afternoon Gothic soap opera when I was in high school. The movie had a few more laughs in it.

Sleepy Hallow was interesting. Anything with Christopher Walken is always worth a watch.

Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp seem to be his go-to acting couple.

On a positive note, Tim Burton doesn't seem to be overly pretentious and artsy. His movies seem not to take themselves too seriously and are just what they seem to be---entertaining.

Richard Burton, the explorer---first non Moslem to make the Hajj.

Actually, I enjoyed Big Fish.

– wabash slim

James is great, but Capt. Sir Richard Francis Burton was one of a handful of figures who truly led an incredible and interesting life. The biography by Edward Rice is excellent. So, my favourite "Burton" movie is 'Mountains of the Moon'.

Favorite Burton? That's easy. Da guy with the 'fro playing flute and singing here:

Oh, TIM Burton? Films?

also easy-- in no particular order--

Ed Wood

Sleepy Hollow

Mars Attacks!

original Frankenweenie short (1984)

– Tartan Phantom

Thumps up for the Burton Cummings reference. The Guess Who should be in the RRHF.

Thumps up for the Burton Cummings reference. The Guess Who should be in the RRHF.

– Charlie Vegas

I agree wholeheartedly. Guess they never had a chance to suck up to Jann Wenner.

Don't miss my Burton Cummings reference.

I am ambivalent about the Guess Who being HOF members. They definitely had some hits:

• American Woman (ironic coming from a Canadian band)
  • These Eyes
  • No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature
  • Undun
  • Laughing
  • No Time
  • Share The Land
  • Hand Me Down World

But, for me, with the exception of American Woman, which was truly a mega-hit, all the rest of their commercially popular songs seemed to be lesser hits. Without doing the research, I can't say for sure, but my memory tells me that their position in the Top Ten would have been at the lower rungs and that they didn't stay all that long in the list.

As for the original topic, I like Edward Scissorhands. Didn't see Pee Wee's Great Adventure, but I am sure that I would like it inasmuch as I was a Pee Wee fan. (I was just watching some videos of him recently and was inspired to try to find the movie on Netflix. Inertia has gotten the best of me thus far, however.) Otherwise, not a big Tim Burton guy. But, definitely a James Burton guy here!

I am ambivalent about the Guess Who being HOF members. They definitely had some hits:

• American Woman (ironic coming from a Canadian band)
  • These Eyes
  • No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature
  • Undun
  • Laughing
  • No Time
  • Share The Land
  • Hand Me Down World

But, for me, with the exception of American Woman, which was truly a mega-hit, all the rest of their commercially popular songs seemed to be lesser hits. Without doing the research, I can't say for sure, but my memory tells me that their position in the Top Ten would have been at the lower rungs and that they didn't stay all that long in the list.

As for the original topic, I like Edward Scissorhands. Didn't see Pee Wee's Great Adventure, but I am sure that I would like it inasmuch as I was a Pee Wee fan. (I was just watching some videos of him recently and was inspired to try to find the movie on Netflix. Inertia has gotten the best of me thus far, however.) Otherwise, not a big Tim Burton guy. But, definitely a James Burton guy here!

– Ric12string

Ummm.. The Guess Who-- 14 US top 40 hits, 6 of which were Top 10, 2 of which were #1.

Now, if we're judging by pure US chart success (which is not the only yardstick used), compare that record to some of the other artists who are already inducted in the RRHOF Performer category, and I think you'll find that The Guess Who is not lacking in comparable chart success.

But of course, other factors come into play. And my previous concerns regarding the personal subjectivity of the so called "rock experts" who choose the annual inductees are not entirely unfounded. Hey, it's not my sandbox, so I don't make the rules or choose the popular kids. RRHOF is what it is... just like any other HOF or award honor.

Not a particular fan of Tim Burton. I've mildly enjoyed a couple of his movies.

I am a fan of James Burton and really respect his playing.

What this thread did do was make me realize something that I hadn't considered before; namely how one can be a fan of someone at one point in their life and then reverse their position later on. I enjoyed the Guess Who's music back when it was released and probably have all of their major and minor hits on vinyl. But except for Undun, I haven't made any effort to hear their music for the last 40 or more years. I always liked the way that the chords moved in Undun. The reason for my 'tuning them out' is due to how I now perceive Burton Cummings' voice. For some reason, it just grates on my ears (even on Undun). Huh....

Register Sign in to join the conversation