Miscellaneous Rumbles

Money for nothing.

Most know that where I work is very much rural which I love. I call this the crosswalk to nowhere which we all can laugh about but serious tax dollars are being spent for ridicules stuff like this which prohibits people from buying new guitars.

Highest property taxes anywhere, Mercer County NJ.

My Father's side of the Family is from NJ, wife's Family from NJ, 3 of my Cousins in NJ, my Aunt in NJ, several more of her Cousins in NJ, etc.

Wife was born in Ringoes/Flemington near you...

Crazy Taxes...!

It's not uncommon for these 'make-work' projects to be contracted out to folks who are connected to the politicians who award the contracts. What goes around, comes around, so to speak. I just spent six years in a city that is spending a fortune on attaching ugly, reflective construction orange, five foot (about) striped signs to their stop sign posts. They are going up all over the city and the connected boroughs. The city councillor claims that there is a safety issue with drivers running stop signs and that he has had, "thousands of calls'" asking for these tiger tails, as they are called. He also lied that, "Every tiger tail in his riding was petition driven."

My old neighbor is a retired and scrappy lawyer and took her objection to these ugly things to city hall. She did a lot of research and found that there had been a traffic safety study done in our neighborhood that did not find any safety issues. Comments were typically things like, 'two-way stop, good visibility, no issue detected, no need for additional action.'

A couple of the councillors, including the one defending these tiger tails, tried to make it sound like my neighbor was simply complaining about the color. (No municipality in Southern Ontario uses these construction orange tiger tails for anything except temporary construction sites.) Anyway, my neighbor then said, "Well, I'd like to know how much these cost, who issued the work order, and who got the contract." Then they were c****ing themselves. The city changed the one on our street closest to my neighbor's house to a small one foot or so red striped one, again trying to make it an issue about color. A cartoon appeared in the city newspaper of my neighbor holding a sign that read, "I fought the sign and I won." Then she was villified in letters to the editor.

So, it goes on everywhere and kinda makes ya mad; the money could be used for better things. Of course, it might not always be about graft; as a friend reminded me once, some people really are stupid.

The only thing that would make that photo better is if they also spent the money on installing an "eco-friendly" dog poop disposal station at the corner of the sidewalk to nowhere.

That way, people going nowhere can at least service their leashed canine in the process. Plus, it would "make more work" because some county/township employee would have to regularly replenish the complimentary disposal bags.

Just a wild guess, but if that intersection's improvements were partly funded by Federal money, there might be minimum design standards that need to be followed. Or the matching funds will be lost.

For example, curb cuts & pedestrian-crossing lights to facilitate handicap access. Despite the fact that it is in a rural area with few pedestrians.

And it is in New Jersey, after all . . . it is only a matter of time before those fields are paved, Starbucks shops constructed, and latte-sipping soccer moms in full-size SUVs are jamming all sides of that lonely intersection!

Development will be limited thankfully because it’s all well and septic. The nearest sewer system is 15 miles away and there’s limited city water about 5 miles to the south.

The town of Hopewell has been able to keep most of the chain institutions away and signage has a limit on size.

With just a first quick glance at the photos, the first reaction was "WOW!..... WHY????"

Seems there is a universal thing here that once elected to an office (any office) one immediately is bestowed with Infinite Wisdom.

I'm guessing that within 10 miles of your peaceful and scenic location, there are folks clamoring for these facilities at locations with real histories of accidents/injuries, only to be met by the stubborn bureaucracy which mandates "further study" by outside consultants. The number of years for the study and hiring of consultants is of course controlled by those with the Infinite Wisdom.

It's about a mile, easy to walk if there was anything there to walk to. I'm the red roof near the blue thing.

We're looking at this all wrong...it's a "Crossroads", just done up Jersey style instead of Mississippi.

It's still far cheaper than the roundabouts popping up around here.

We're looking at this all wrong...it's a "Crossroads", just done up Jersey style instead of Mississippi.

– Twangmeisternyc

Yes! And if we have the NJ Roundup that Curt has mentioned in another thread, it’s about a one minute drive to have an NJ crossroads Roundup photo op there.

Being close to a river and the main railway tracks, satellites images around my area show foundations for lots of factories that have been gone for fifty or one hundred years.

Sadly, in Central Saskatchewan, a setup like that would probably have saved the lives of many of the Humboldt Broncos last April 6th. However, all that was there was a short-poled (6ft) standard stop sign, "missed" by the driver of the B-train tractor trailer that blew through it and into the side of the bus.

Traffic controls often seem out of place when they pop up in what a lot of us think of as the middle of nowhere, but a few more such installations in the right places could also extend lives.

To my mind, the tragedy is that sometimes people do have to die before the Infinite Wisdom makes a decision.

Being honest here, I don't know the situation near Curt's place, it may only see a dozen or so cars in a day, but the striking similarity to the intersection in Saskatchewan plays heavily into my thinking.

And that was a very tragic situation.

I'm all in favor of the traffic light, I think it's been there for decades. My comment was/is about the crosswalk that services nothing. They put in wheel chair ramps and sidewalks for a few feet then it's open fields and rough terrain for 20 miles.

And you can't pump your own Gas or order "Eggs over Easy" at a Diner.

NJ needs to issue a Handbook.

And that was a very tragic situation.

I'm all in favor of the traffic light, I think it's been there for decades. My comment was/is about the crosswalk that services nothing. They put in wheel chair ramps and sidewalks for a few feet then it's open fields and rough terrain for 20 miles.

– Curt Wilson

My bad. Thought the entire project was the issue....

Register Sign in to join the conversation