Miscellaneous Rumbles

Minor health lesson..

If you are one of those who needs to check their blood oxygen levels on a regular basis, it turns out that asking that little laser device to see through fifty-plus years of guitar playing callouses might be a bit of an issue. \

Try the other hand. It usually works better.

Lesson learned.

Now you know, also.

Thanks for the observation, Kevin. I wish I had made the connection soon than I did.

I have very thick calluses on my left hand fingertips, and also on the the right hand from playing fingerstyle. I've had a VA nurse visiting me monthly, for the past couple of years, because of multiple back surgeries. I've also had the PT and OT people, visiting for a few weeks after surgeries.

Both them and I were at a loss for why those little things wouldn't work very well on me, until one of them noticed my thickened fingertips. We started using the pinky on my right hand, and now I get proper readings.

Glad you got the problem sorted out Wade. You raise an issue I've often wondered about and that's how you get callouses on your right hand fingertips. I only play fingerstyle - with a thumb pick - and use my nails (1/8" max) for picking and haven't a hint of callousing. My flesh hits the strings just before my nails, but never have hardening of the skin. What are you doing that I don't?

Glad you got the problem sorted out Wade. You raise an issue I've often wondered about and that's how you get callouses on your right hand fingertips. I only play fingerstyle - with a thumb pick - and use my nails (1/8" max) for picking and haven't a hint of callousing. My flesh hits the strings just before my nails, but never have hardening of the skin. What are you doing that I don't?

– Windsordave

I don't have long nails on my right hand, Dave. I use a thumb pick, and the flesh of the fingertips. I damaged the nail bed on my right hand index finger, years ago, and that fingernail is weak and brittle. I've tried to use banjo fingerpicks, and even glue on nails.

I could never get the hang of the banjo fingerpicks, and the glue on fingernails look odd, and are a big hassle. I'm thinking of using a glue on fingernail, just on the index finger, and growing the other nails out.

I actually enjoy the tactile sensation of my fingertip flesh on the strings better, but at a loss of attack and tone. I only started getting serious about fingerstyle playing, a couple of years ago (when I bought my 5422), and I'm still sorting it out.

My first real fingerstyle accomplishment was Mr. Sandman. I practiced that tune 2 - 3 hours a day, for many months. I finally got to where I could play it smoothly and without errors. The effort it took to play that song, opened up a tremendous amount of other less complicated songs to me.

I had tried to learn fingerstyle playing many times, over the past 40 years. I could play a few Stairway to Heaven and Dust in the Wind like tunes, but I always bailed out on real fingerstyle playing when I hit the frustration wall.

I finally decided to have another go at it, and bought the 5422. Much to my surprise, that frustration wall wasn't as thick as I had always imagined it to be. All it took was the right guitar, and some dedicated practice. I'm finally to the point where I'm seriously considering purchasing a new 6122T-59!

Register Sign in to join the conversation