Miscellaneous Rumbles

Memphis Road Trip - help me out, need info!!

OK, last year the wife & I went to nashville... LOVED it. So this year we are thinking of going to Memphis. Fill me in!!

-weather in late June (I have a feeling we're talking hot, humid, & sticky?... but will it matter if we're bouncing from club to club? Not sure if we'll be in air conditioning much, because I don't know what there is to do there...)

-Sun, Graceland, crossroads, the Blues Museum in Mississippi... WHAT ELSE???

We'd be flying in & renting a car, as far as nightlife goes we'd like to be within walking distance of most of the music (if possible), since we both want to be able to drink.

Any & all info appreciated!!

Don't miss the Stax Soul museum on the southside of Memphis. And down in Clarksdale the Ground Zero Blues Club is definitely worth a visit. If you're stopping over there then The Shack Up Inn was one of the highlights of our trip.

And watch out for the mosquitoes. They build 'em tough down there. I spent a happy evening out on the veranda at the Shack Up, drinking beers and playing guitars with some of the other guests and we got eaten alive.

the Delta Blues Museum is in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Clarksdale is south of Memphis on Hwy. 61. Morgan Freeman has a restaurant somewhere there in Clarksdale, too. oh yeah, "the crossroads" of Robert Johnson's song "Crossroads" is there in Clarksdale. sounds like a fun trip. :D

brent

I think there`s a river down there too! :D

Make sure to check out Rendezvous or the Commissary for some bbq too!

Gus's fried chicken.

Uncle Lou's friend chicken and stuff,

Martin Music,

Brad Birkedahl from the Dempseys at Blues City on Beale

Ride the trolley

Morgan Freeman has a restaurant somewhere there in Clarksdale

He did have. It was called Madidi and closed recently. Frankly it was bit over-priced and not that good. I'll forgive him that though, because he also owns The Ground Zero Blues Club.

Staying at the Peabody is nostalgic and being able to stumble to bed doesn't suck.

The drive from Memphis to Clarksdale is 1.5 hours.

The center hub of the nightlife is Beale Street downtown. If you stay at the Peabody, it's only 2 blocks away. If you stay at the Downtown Marriott on the north side of downtown, it's only a 10-block trolley-ride away.

If you have time, there's a BBQ restaurant called the' Dancing Pig ' on Madison Avenue. Not too far from Sun Studio. It's the best I've ever had. The atmosphere is great, the place has been in business forever.

How late do the trolleys run? Late enough to get out of a club at 2AM and catch a ride back to the Marriott? Or is it even SAFE to do that at 2AM in Memphis?

How late do the trolleys run? Late enough to get out of a club at 2AM and catch a ride back to the Marriott? Or is it even SAFE to do that at 2AM in Memphis?

– ruger9

– ruger9

Memphis Trolley route map w/ run times

Picadilly Cafeteria by Graceland is a must. Great liver and onions.

The Rendezvous is a must! Best ribs on the planet. Full order of ribs and cole slaw. Mud Island is pretty cool. All the clubs on Beale Street. If you go during the Memphis in May celebration, it's like six blocks of blues bands 24 hours a day for a week.

– andrew staff

– silverjetstaff

There's no such thing. :P

That part about "after 2am in Memphis"...perhaps a cab might be in order.

– Deed Eddy

– Deed Eddy

I was in Memphis about 15 years ago...although it's certainly not indicative of the city as a whole, like any other city, it does have some elements that you won't want to check out. I had a couple of not so pleasant moments while I was there...a cab after 2 a.m is definitely a good idea.

Go back to Nashville.

Whilst I know this one was meant tongue-in-cheek, they're not that far wrong IMO. I'd rather have two holidays in Nashville than one in Nashville and one in Memphis. It depends on your expectations but, if you're expecting it to be comparable you might be disappointed. Nashville is a thriving, vibrant city with a great musical history. Memphis reminded me of Blackpool with the blues. Run-down, tacky and plastic.

I'm pleased I visited once, but the last time I was over in the US on a roadtrip I happily sped past Memphis without a hesitation. I'm going back to Nashville for a third time this summer.

Thanks Dave. That means alot.

So, how about BRANSON? ;-)

It is interesting you mention Branson because we drove right past there on our last trip. That was through ignorance rather than intent. I'd never heard if it before. We drove from Nashville to Joplin, visiting with friends after last year's tornado. I will call in next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

If you're looking for a suggestion for music themed roadtrip then heading south-east out of Nashville via the Natchez Trace, across to Clarksdale and then down to New Orleans would take some beating IMO.

Been to N'awlins, before the big flood. At the time, couldn't appreciate the food or music as I would now (I wasn't yet a foodie, and I was taking a hiatus from music... but that's a long story...)

I'm you're expecting to see anything resembling rockabilly music, you're gonna be disappointed. With the notable exceptions of the Brad Birkedahl, and a tour of Sun Records, they have completely forgotten and/or downplay their seminal role in the formation of the music known as rockabilly.

Register Sign in to join the conversation