Miscellaneous Rumbles

Meanwhile in Phoenix …

We just hit 116. At 2:30 PM. Hold on pholks, its gonna get hotter!

Dang.. some friends in Scottsdale are saying the same thing --

When you're hot, you're hot!

That is such a great photo, Don! Love it.

On a positive note... it should cool down to 103 this weekend. :)

That's hot! I know what it's like. I spent a couple of weeks training in death valley and we hit 128 degrees. You all stay safe.

We just hit 116. At 2:30 PM. Hold on pholks, its gonna get hotter!

– Don Birchett

Oh, I am so stealing this.

116.........that’s warm !!

We had a few around 116/117 degrees last summer. Shouldn’t have left the gear out during a break between sets !!!

Yeah, but it's dry heat.

– Richard Hudson

People joke about that but for we desert rats, that is a big deal. The most miserable heat for me is accompanied by high humidity. Spending time where both are in the high 90s is much harder on me than 110+.

People joke about that but for we desert rats, that is a big deal. The most miserable heat for me is accompanied by high humidity. Spending time where both are in the high 90s is much harder on me than 110+.

– Don Birchett

Not quite that bad today in Tampa. 85°F, 80% RH.

I live in north Glendale Don (58th Ave and Greenway). Summer came in like a lamb, but seems to be going out like a lion. It's been oppressively hot the last few days. It's a dry heat, but so is my oven! My primary transportation was a motorcycle during that year when we hit 122°. That whole summer was miserable, never going below 100° for over 3 months.

Wade, I'm in Tempe and I was here for that as well. The evening we hit 122 I played a softball double header for the church softball team. We had plenty of water and cool bands for our necks to try to keep cool. But I was younger and tougher then. It wasn't too bad but no one really exerted themselves either. On the other hand, my a/c in my car gave up the ghost the day before. The car was replaced in short order.

I live in Peoria and I was here for that amazing day too. Was working then for the prison system, Perryville. Nothing but swamp coolers and my office was a sauna all summer.
And riding a motorcycle here is like driving into a blow dryer. You know its hot when your hand are burning through the gloves.

Oh yeah, riding a motorcycle in summer, in Phoenix, is like riding in a pizza oven! It's an amazingly otherworld experience. You can hit super hot spots that make you cry out in pain (or am I just a wimp). I was on a V-Twin 1400cc Suzuki Intruder that summer, it had an oil cooler that kept the oil super hot! Oddly, after that particular summer, I've not been overly bothered by the heat anymore. I guess it's a perspective thing. I lost the AC in my Ford Explorer last summer, I dropped $1200 just as quickly as I could, to have a new system installed. Unfortunately, the compressor exploded bits and pieces into the rest of the system, making it necessary for a complete replacement. Of course there's never a good time to lose your AC, but mine went out in the middle of a move to our new home.

– Don Birchett

I never really believed that until I was in Las Vegas during a hot streak. I'd never been in a hot and dry climate and couldn't believe how not miserable 100+ degree weather could be. I don't think I'd ever been hot without being muggy and sweaty in my life before then.

Well this is the scene from Thursday night as a big wall of dust (called a haboob) rolled through town.

I never really believed that until I was in Las Vegas during a hot streak. I'd never been in a hot and dry climate and couldn't believe how not miserable 100+ degree weather could be. I don't think I'd ever been hot without being muggy and sweaty in my life before then.

– Afire

When I was stationed in Texas and Kansas, I was amazed at how much easier the dry heat was to deal with than hot and humid. My eyeballs felt dry, but at least I could breath, albeit hot air. Here in Indiana, the humidity often is the same number as the temperature. It's hard to breathe with 95% humidity. It does make the corn grow, tho. It's humid here in the winter as well---makes the cold cut easily thru to the bone.

The thing about weather---everyone talks about it but no one's willing to sacrifice a virgin to fix it.

When did this whole haboob thing start? Never heard of it until a few years ago, and we have quite a bit of history with Phoenix weather.

Deed, I wondered that as well and so I googled it and came up with this article. Father of the Haboob It traces the "popularization" of the term to an unidentified local weatherman in the late 90s. It doesn't identify him but my guess is either Dewey Hopper or Sean (pronounced seen) McGloughlin. But it also traces the use of the term to a scientist named Sherwood Idso. As it turns out, I have met Dr. Idso and have spoken with him on several occasions. I never knew.

Register Sign in to join the conversation