Miscellaneous Rumbles

Make this stuff up? Not a chance! proof-reader needed!

This is about Washington, but my take on it is utterly apolitical... I simply can't believe that with all the checks and balances that exist in a government, something like this would happen..

Believe it or not, today there is a draft bill circulating in Washington DC with the name "United States Fair And Reciprocal Tariff Act" on the cover.

Go figure...

Here's a link.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07...

What's even more interesting is that the 'fact checkers' over at CNN seem to have missed it as badly as the folks who dreamed the name up.

Shall we take bets on whether or not someone actually notices before it's too late?

Sigh..

This kind of stuff gives me indigestion.

So- figured it out? It's all in the title, by the way...

I'm guessing the word draft was missing the letter R and it's now been fixed.

There's also a stray letter R in bold in para 2, I wonder if this is a nod to an in-joke.

There's also a stray letter R in bold in para 2, I wonder if this is a nod to an in-joke.

– Deke Martin

No.

United States Fair And Reciprocal Tariff Act.

Stinky and not welcome in a lift.

They tried to keep it secret, and pretend it didn't happen.

They then tried to place the blame on those who first discovered it.

But they didn't count on the ability of the American people to sniff out the truth.

Laws are frequently named to hide or re-characterize their own true agendas with cynical NewSpeak language meant to call black white, in hopes sufficient repetition of the Big Lie will create a new truth - or at least pull the tinted glasses over our eyes so the poison looks like kool-aid.

It always stinks, but it apparently works.

If we put a bow and a smiley face on it, they won’t know it’s crap till they open the box.

Besides contributing to the ongoing choose-your-own reality our polity has become, the practice also devalues language and undermines common trust.

FART is probably appropriate. Consider the source.

Laws are frequently named to hide or re-characterize their own true agendas with cynical NewSpeak language meant to call black white, in hopes sufficient repetition of the Big Lie will create a new truth - or at least pull the tinted glasses over our eyes so the poison looks like kool-aid. -- Proteus

This is so true. It is an incredibly cynical form of brainwashing. Keep chanting the magic words like a mantra and people soon begin to believe them. I am pretty fed up with the whole scene.

Someone posted recently the statement, "Post about what you love and care about instead of what you hate." There's some wisdom in that. We would all get along better, I am sure.

– Deke Martin

There is??

They tried to keep it secret, and pretend it didn't happen.

They then tried to place the blame on those who first discovered it.

But they didn't count on the ability of the American people to sniff out the truth.

– Timthom62

So silent but deadly? Got it.

There is??

– Kevin Frye

There was, it’s been fixed.

Bahahaha I couldn't figure it out.

I was looking for a typo and was really stumped.

Isn't 'fair' and reciprocal' kind of redundant??

Isn't 'fair' and reciprocal' kind of redundant?? -- Toxophilite

Not at all. You can have two people acting extremely unfair to each other with one merely reciprocating the other's actions.

Isn't 'fair' and reciprocal' kind of redundant?? -- Toxophilite

Not at all. You can have two people acting extremely unfair to each other with one merely reciprocating the other's actions.

– Ric12string

Yes you're right .Fair I think is a little more subjective. Things are rarely 'fair' in the real world sadly. Fair is usually used on the playground where they are also very rarely 'fair'

I agree with Bob, reciprocation does not necessarily indicate fairness. I could behave unfairly toward my neighbour and he could reciprocate by behaving unfairly in return. But the two acts off unfairness are not cancelled out as fair. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

But Tox I have to disagree with. Fairness is not restricted to the playground. Fairness and equity are the foundations of common law. Without it we’d be in a heck of a state.

Without it we’d be in a heck of a state.

And that's the state we live in.

I sympathize about that, though I'm in Canada so I don't live in any state!!! I'm all for fairness, I just feel it's an ideal, very often not realized, especially in law and our society, such as it is. Anyway this is way of topic. Back to the gaseous emmissions from on high..or low.

Someone stayed up all night thinking this up.

I sympathize about that, though I'm in Canada so I don't live in any state!!! I'm all for fairness, I just feel it's an ideal, very often not realized, especially in law and our society, such as it is. Anyway this is way of topic. Back to the gaseous emmissions from on high..or low.

– Toxophilite

Provencal fairness?

No doubt this legislation will leave a stain on the very fabric that under-pins American trade policy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation