Miscellaneous Rumbles

Madman Across The Water…

Great album by EJ. "Tiny Dancer" was my favorite, along with "Levon" and "Madman".

Brings back many good memories of some pretty special times in college.

Great album by EJ. "Tiny Dancer" was my favorite, along with "Levon" and "Madman".

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

+1. great album. The title track, which may be my favorite Elton-Bernie song, appears in a different , more rocking, extended version on the bonus CD edition of Tumbleweed Connection. I actually prefer that rendition, which features Mick Ronson on guitar.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Exactly. Reminds me of one lovely young woman in particular. I wonder where she is now? (Sigh...)

Loved "Hold me closer, Tony Danza".

EJ/BT was a superb songwriting team. Elton is one heck of a pianist. I just don't care for the flamboyance, so I listen rather than watch. We keyboard players don't have as many possible heroes compared to guitarists, so I tend to enjoy them all.

Aw, come on, tell me this doesn't cry out for a blinged out White Falcon.

Loved "Hold me closer, Tony Danza".

– crowbone

I can't hear this song without thinking of Tony.

Yikes, glad that the General and I have some very found memories of this song.

Looks like some have nightmares! lol

Don't get me wrong, I love "Madman."

However, my favorite EJ album to this day is still Tumbleweed Connection. Less polished, and more emotive, I think Tumbleweed's songs benefit from the rougher mix. I also think it was a real turning point in Elton's composition skills, without a lot of the orchestration that seems a bit heavy-handed at times on "Madman." (Yes, I know the producer was largely to blame for that)

And thumbs up to Caleb Quaye, who did an outstanding job of executing tasty guitar work on an keyboard-oriented album (Tumbleweed).

Yikes, glad that the General and I have some very found memories of this song.

Looks like some have nightmares! lol

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Fond memories? Definitely those, but also nostalgic, angst ridden ones. As for nightmares, well, funny you should mention that...

Aw, come on, tell me this doesn't cry out for a blinged out White Falcon.

– Bob Howard

Makes Prince look like a Goth.

EJ ruled the first half of the 70s.

+1 for Tumbleweed Connection as the quintessential Elton John album — the songwriting is just off the charts. And there's that stellar (extended) version of "Madman Across the Water" ... didn't know that was Mick Ronson on guitar, but I've always been knocked out by that solo.

Register Sign in to join the conversation