Miscellaneous Rumbles

Made Pretzels

I had a fun baking experience once. It was new years eve 2012/2013. It's a Dutch tradition to eat 'oliebollen' trough out the festivities. They are made of deep fried dough and served covered in powdered sugar. Sometimes filled with some raisins, but I don't like those. Now, they are supposed to be ball shaped, sized bigger then a golf ball but smaller then a tennis ball.

We had a pot of oil on the stove and had already made a few, but none of them came out nice and round but mostly somewhat weirdly pear shaped etc.

Then... Another try, we put a spoon full of dough in the hot oil and when it started to fry the 'oliebol' grew tentacles and within a few seconds E.T. started to emerge from the pot! Even the Phone-Home finger came over the edge, true story! Really, you should have been there.

And I know, pics or it didn't happen, well... Here it is:

Best. Oliebol. Ever.

Freshly baked pretzels ruined me while I was living in Philadelphia. Big doughy pretzels are ubiquitous there already, so they're hard to miss. They hawk them on street corners.
It was the Amish bakers at Reading Terminal market that took it to the upper stratosphere of tastiness.

Handmade, baked fresh on site. You could watch them roll out the dough and twist 'em up while standing in the queue.

Still hot, glazed with butter and salt. With some yellow mustard, it's a taste of heaven.

Yes. I make semolina and other grain blends. I make seeded breads for one of my gfs. Two pounds of seeds per loaf. Pumkin, sunflour, walnuts, chia, sesame and flax. Pumpernickle and rye breads too. Yes i have a portable brick pizza oven.

50 bricks, two pavers. No mortar

I had a fun baking experience once. It was new years eve 2012/2013. It's a Dutch tradition to eat 'oliebollen' trough out the festivities. They are made of deep fried dough and served covered in powdered sugar. Sometimes filled with some raisins, but I don't like those. Now, they are supposed to be ball shaped, sized bigger then a golf ball but smaller then a tennis ball.

We had a pot of oil on the stove and had already made a few, but none of them came out nice and round but mostly somewhat weirdly pear shaped etc.

Then... Another try, we put a spoon full of dough in the hot oil and when it started to fry the 'oliebol' grew tentacles and within a few seconds E.T. started to emerge from the pot! Even the Phone-Home finger came over the edge, true story! Really, you should have been there.

And I know, pics or it didn't happen, well... Here it is:

Best. Oliebol. Ever.

– Mike2000

Deep fried ET's!

I made a mistake.

– wabash slim

What mistake?

What mistake?

– ThePolecats

Zigged when I should've zagged.

Zigged when I should've zagged.

– wabash slim

Got it! LOL!

Y'all got me hungry! Welcome back Munman!

Philly style bagels. I have ervs bagels recipe!

wonderful work munman!...i suppose you make a wicked calzone?? an og nyc staple!

the oliebollen look to be along the lines of what we called zeppoles...basically deep fried dough balls thrown into a brown paper bag with white powder sugar shaken all over them...6 for a quarter! hah

"these pretzels are makin me thirsty"- kramer

cheers

Speaking of Calzones here is one I made a few weeks ago.

There's a pizza joint near me that makes huge calzones. No one has ever finished one at the restaurant. They are not N.Y. good but they're still delicious. I miss New York pizza.

I will make you a kick ass calzone this summer grumps. Pizza party at the lake!

Register Sign in to join the conversation