Miscellaneous Rumbles

Made Pretzels

Made pretzels for the first time ever. Didn't shape them so well BUT they did taste great.

See, I made pizza the other weak and I noticed how pretzel like the crust taste so I decided to try my hand at pretzel making. I tweaked my pizza dough recipe and basically winged it and turned out good. Didn't have any pretzel salt so I used Morton's Kosher salt sparingly. Maybe I could have used more though.

Do a few in that G shape of the G Grestch

Did you use the lye?

I love baking too!

Do a few in that G shape of the G Grestch

– DCBirdMan

Love it. Next time I should do that and maybe a R for Ric even though I don't own one.

Did you use the lye?

– Munman

Great question, no I used baking soda and also cheated a bit with egg wash. I heard if you bake the baking soda in the oven for an hour at 350 F degrees it increases it's acidity but not as good as lye but better than unbaked baking soda. After baking soda baked then boil it in water and dunk the pretzels then bake. That baking soda and egg wash works. I would try lye next time. I hear at the Chinese stores they sell Lye water to made noodles that may work but not as good as real lye powder.

nice! i was raised on those...all the brooklyn candy stores sold them..they'd be piled a dozen or so on an upright stick....in philly, they'd come up to your car at a stop, and sell them right out of a big brown paper bag!

yum...them days

cheers

Munman, great bagels and bread soup bowl you made!

do you use lye or baking soda?

nice! i was raised on those...all the brooklyn candy stores sold them..they'd be piled a dozen or so on an upright stick....in philly, they'd come up to your car at a stop, and sell them right out of a big brown paper bag!

yum...them days

cheers

– neatone

Thanks neatone.

I was in Ohio at some place, I think Hoffbrau House/Haus, a German restaurant/beer place, a couple rears ago. Wish I tried their pretzels but didn't.

I bought lye from amazon. Wear protective eye wear! Baking soda works good, so if your happy, its safer!

Sourdough loaf i baked a few hours ago.

I worked at Utz potato chips and pretzels for 5 years.

I always loved the yearly factory tours, especially watching the pretzels being made...twisted and spat onto conveyor belts, dredged through the lye solution, salted, then onto the oven.

That looks tasty! Do you ship to Europe?

If you dont eattenm fast, you can rebake them and then you have hard pretzels.

That looks tasty! Do you ship to Europe?

– Mike2000

LOL I should. Thanks.

If you dont eattenm fast, you can rebake them and then you have hard pretzels.

– Munman

Good point, I should try that. Didn't think of that.

Sourdough loaf i baked a few hours ago.

– Munman

Well, you had me at sourdough.

This is a story with a twist.

i remember the first time seeing chowder in a sourdough bread bowl on fishermans wharf in san francisco...it was a west coast thing...

muman you do any semolina breads?..thats old school bronx ny

"bread, wine, and firewood, and let it snow outside"- old tyrolean adage

cheers

Munman, nice sourdough and bagels. Do you make pizza?

Took to baking myself as well during Ireland’s initial lockdown and have kept it up. There’s something about sourdough.

Register Sign in to join the conversation