Miscellaneous Rumbles

Lotsa spam lately…

I do my best to vote every SHIT (pardon my language, but that's what they are) topic down, but it appears to be almost like fighting windmills. So here's a suggestion, although I have no idea how hard it is to make it work:

When someone is creating a new profile, isn't it possible to ask the potential new member a few control questions, IE regarding guitars, favorite artists, or anything that a spam bot wouldn't understand? Most forums on facebook have these anyway, but - again - I don't know what it would take to execute it on this forum...

Anders

I've noticed, too.

There's actually a pretty sophisticated set of things going on behind the scenes to filter out spammers (especially bots), but it's an arms race. Always. Forever.

I can tell you that the people getting in now would be unlikely to be slowed down by those sorts of control questions. They're not bots. Most likely, they're coming from third-world spam farms, which are apparently getting better training these days.

• "They're not bots. Most likely, they're coming from third-world spam farms, which are apparently getting better training these days."

That probably explains the ever increasing amount of spam emails I've been getting as well... ugh.

I appreciate your efforts, Bax. Mostly, these twits are just annoying.

If you make something foolproof, they just breed smarter fools.

It amazes me the resources they have to hire people to do this stuff. First world problems caused by third world entities.

Hey Baxter I’m curious why you hide those posts instead of deleting them. Is their a tactical reason or?

I think they get hidden because we are pro-active enough to vote them down as a community. It looks like he's deleted them, now.

I would love it if as a training exercise the PTB would send in some special opts guys for a little get together at some of those farms.

Register Sign in to join the conversation