Miscellaneous Rumbles

Lordy, I Miss Gretsch Strings

I really miss all of the Gretsch brand strings, especially these.

The tension and tone were just perfect to me.

Have a few sets left, but I'm savoring them like the few last strips of bacon!

You and me both, brudder. You do know, though, that the only difference between the 10 sets and the 11 sets is the gauge of the 1 & 2 strings?

So if you have some of the 11 sets...you just have to replace those two strings.

Better yet, though - maybe you have a stash of the 11s and can't use them, and want to trade with me for the 10s I'm sitting on?

I got me some 10s stashed somewhere. Gotta find em. Sent most of my 11s to Proteus, now I'm starting to like them again. Got 3 sets of 11s from Richb555. Already used one set.

They are not something that turn up on ebay now and then JD?

I have a dozen or more sets of them, but not the rhythm & blues one in the picsI don't think--does it make a difference? I bought a dozen or two dozen when they were clearing them out. Then I think I traded someone my 10s for their 11s or vice versa. I'll have to look in the attic.

Also, an actual producer must have made those strings the way Valco made Gretsch amps no--for sure there is no way Gretsch manufactured strings? Can that producer be discerned and the same thing be bought from them?

I like how they give a wound and plain G.

One complete set!!

D'Addario made them. I think I once knew which D'Ad series they corresponded to, but I think I've forgotten. And the exact gauges are a little custom as well.

Yep, I've got to check a few more cubby holes too. Might find a few more or who knows what!

I was fortunate to win several cases of both 10's and 11's at the KC Roundups years back.

I'm not regretting sharing, but I gave away 2 cases of 10's and a case of 11's over a few of JB's Christmas Threads. Just couldn't see hoarding that many for myself. Used what I have left, and now down to a couple.

Being retired now, I'm going through strings like I was young again! Lol

I've liked all versions of the Gretsch strings, either gage, but did/do prefer the 10's on my one long scale neck.

I do remember the big Gretsch string blow out, and when I went to order some, well dang, out of stock everywhere.

Anyways, glad that others feel the same about them as I do. They're just right.

I'll look some more, and maybe I can do some swapping with someone.

D'Addario made them. I think I once knew which D'Ad series they corresponded to, but I think I've forgotten. And the exact gauges are a little custom as well.

– Proteus

They sure did, and yup, the string set gage is a little different.

I've never tried out the D'Addario equal tension or low tension version. Not sure what they exactly call them, but those may be close.

John, the next time I pass through your neck of the woods, I'll drop off a couple of sets for ya.

I really miss all of the Gretsch brand strings, especially these.

The tension and tone were just perfect to me.

Have a few sets left, but I'm savoring them like the few last strips of bacon!

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

When I find them I'll let you know. You can have them.

John, the next time I pass through your neck of the woods, I'll drop off a couple of sets for ya.

– Sgt Rock

Thanks Brent, that would be cool and appreciated

Hope all is heading well for you.

When I find them I'll let you know. You can have them.

– UncleGrumpy

Thanks Grumps and appreciated.

I miss their Flatwounds, that came in the Red package I loved those!!!

Karl

Thanks Brent, that would be cool and appreciated

Hope all is heading well for you.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

no problem. after all, we have to have our usual country fried steak supper at that restaurant we go to when I'm in town, right ? of course, it won't be for a few months yet.

I saw the surgeons yesterday and everything is healing real well. I'll be going back to work on "light duty" next month(Feb).

no problem. after all, we have to have our usual country fried steak supper at that restaurant we go to when I'm in town, right ? of course, it won't be for a few months yet.

I saw the surgeons yesterday and everything is healing real well. I'll be going back to work on "light duty" next month(Feb).

– Sgt Rock

Well heck yes, gotta eat there Sarge.

Great to hear that everything is healing to the doc's delight, and yours too I'm sure.

Well shoot. I dug around looking for any sets that may have been hiding out, but came up emptied handed.

Sorry Prot, I've got zero sets to trade you or Uncle Grumpy.

Dang.

Well shoot. I dug around looking for any sets that may have been hiding out, but came up emptied handed.

Sorry Prot, I've got zero sets to trade you or Uncle Grumpy.

Dang.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I don't need nothin in trade. When i find them I'll let you know.

These are what I have left from a case I was given at the KC Roundup.

PM'd you TF.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

They're yours if you want 'em!

Register Sign in to join the conversation