Miscellaneous Rumbles

Lord Stanley

Tomorrow, another arduous journey begins.

I am thrilled the Canadian contingency battled back, now having 5 of 7 teams in the challenge including Toronto. Last year seemed uneasy and adrift with none.

The first round is possibly my favorite, a never-ending Hockey telethon of rough and tumble, let's see who can take it, play.

Plus the benefit of seeing teams that are rarely available on my Cable system.

The next 2 weeks are always great entertainment...

Couldn't agree with you more! As a quick aside, I'll no longer be subjected to the endless prattle about the Canucks that we've been hearing ad naseum for the past few weeks, in particular.

Getting back to the playoffs, the first round is for me the most exciting hockey, often overshadowing certainly the next round and sometimes the 3rd. At the very least, it usually sets the bar very high for the following rounds, and gives a reality check to those teams and their fans who thought in the past month of play that their teams actually had a chance of escaping the first round.

Prior to the first puck drop of the season the Canucks brass has used the expression "our goal is to make the playoffs." Simply making the playoffs is to me, a very grossly rude and disrespectful prognosis to give the fan base and particularly the season ticket holders! Limping into the playoffs only to be humiliated and shown to be a team that didn't deserve to be there is disgusting behavior for the team's management team.

And for who aren't aware, all players' salaries end with the last game of the season. Once the playoffs begin, all the very lucrative income generated from the ticket sales, goes straight into the owners' pockets. The teams that make it to the finals and the winning team particularly do make additional money but generally the playoffs are for the glory, not the money.

Now, in the last few weeks of the regular season, here in Canada including the TV networks TSN & Sportsnet, everyone was all excited that Canada could possibly have 2 pair of teams face each other in the first round. I hoped the exact opposite and thankfully things have fallen my way. If the first scenario occurred then there'd be 2 Canadian teams eliminated in the first round. Now with my wish coming true, there's the chance all 5 Canadian teams will beat their American opponents and move into round 2, and continue deeper into the playoffs. My ultimate goal would be to have the finals between 2 Canadian teams! That would sure gall the hell out of Gary Bettman & NBC, who would be forced to cover a finals that wouldn't have much cache in the US. We'll see what happens, eh?

I'll be watching as much as I can even though my Flyers didn't make it. Apparently, they first team in history to have a 10-game winning streak during the season and NOT make the playoffs...

Dallas is out, and what a terrible season it was. From a powerhouse last season to way below mediocrity...so sad, and we bought full-season's tickets this time around. Oh Joy!

Since my team is out, this year, I'm hoping for two brand new teams, never in the Cup, to make it! Therefore, this is not a prediction, but a "hope."

Columbus vs Nashville...what a hoot that would be!

...------

"That would sure gall the hell out of Gary Bettman & NBC"

I'm all for what's best for the league, even if it is good Bettman.

Dallas is out, and what a terrible season it was. From a powerhouse last season to way below mediocrity...so sad, and we bought full-season's tickets this time around. Oh Joy!

Since my team is out, this year, I'm hoping for two brand new teams, never in the Cup, to make it! Therefore, this is not a prediction, but a "hope."

Columbus vs Nashville...what a hoot that would be!

...------

– indianation65

I'm a longtime Bruins fan, and also a Predators fan since their inception (hometown team). However, I tend to be pragmatic, and I don't hold a great deal of faith that either team will make it past Round One.

Even so, one can still dream...

LA squeezed in a few years back, then went 4-1, 4-0, 4-0 and then 4-2 to win the Cup. If those numbers aren't exact, they are close.

The great thing about hockey, unlike most other team sports, any low seed can beat a high seed. It's greatness, so, it's anybody's ball game, puck game. Any two teams can get to the Cup. It will be fun to watch.

Addendum: A SAD addendum...I just found out an hour ago the Dallas Stars have rehired Ken Hitchcock to coach the Stars. Good grief! I could not be more unhappy, and in the Stars forums, I'd say it's 3-1 also of fans not happy.

We've been there, (He wanted to retire after this current season. He said so, but he got fired.) I'd surmise getting fired gave him incentive to consider another year, and "Mike Modano" has already hinted he'd like to work with him. I'd bet the phones have been working with Gaglardi the owner, and Hitchcock/Modano/Nill to pull this together. Modano is not on board at the moment, but it's happening.

I'd rather they had picked up, oh, just about anyone. I don't like going backwards.

...------

Maybe Anaheim will change your mind this year.

LA squeezed in a few years back, then went 4-1, 4-0, 4-0 and then 4-2 to win the Cup. If those numbers aren't exact, they are close.

The great thing about hockey, unlike most other team sports, any low seed can beat a high seed. It's greatness, so, it's anybody's ball game, puck game. Any two teams can get to the Cup. It will be fun to watch.

Addendum: A SAD addendum...I just found out an hour ago the Dallas Stars have rehired Ken Hitchcock to coach the Stars. Good grief! I could not be more unhappy, and in the Stars forums, I'd say it's 3-1 also of fans not happy.

We've been there, (He wanted to retire after this current season. He said so, but he got fired.) I'd surmise getting fired gave him incentive to consider another year, and "Mike Modano" has already hinted he'd like to work with him. I'd bet the phones have been working with Gaglardi the owner, and Hitchcock/Modano/Nill to pull this together. Modano is not on board at the moment, but it's happening.

I'd rather they had picked up, oh, just about anyone. I don't like going backwards.

...------

– indianation65

Sorry for your loss.....er gain.....the return of Hitch. On the bright side for me, he won't end up here coachin' the Canucks.

Looks like Travis Green is the most likely candidate to be next year's coach. The jury's out on his suitability for the job given the makeup of the team. One camp says that without being a proven commodity as an NHL coach he won't get the respect needed and the other camp says he's the perfect person to be able to teach the young players this team will have plenty of next year. If he's the coach I'll adopt a wait and see attitude until the season is at least 15 games old.

He'll turn a player like Seguin from a 40 goal scorer to a 20, but he'll certainly finish his checks! At least, he'd better!

Here's to a season of 1-0, 2-1 games! Go Hitchcock!

...Ha, at least he won't coach Vancouver! It's the "bright side'a things!"

+1 Rangers

– Twangmeisternyc

Penguins too

Two months ago there was a chance the Wild would win the cup. Now, they're pretty shaky, although did finish the last week strong.

Now they have to face fired coach Mike Yeo and St Louis.

With Bruce Boudreau's history, they'll lose in 7 I fear.

Great to see All the Canadian teams, especially those with young stars like McDavid & Matthews.

Not unexpected but Detroit missing the playoffs after 25 straight is still such a shock. That was an amazing streak.

2 games went to OT, that's good!

The pesky Pens walloped Columbus in the long change 2nd, and the game was over...even with the last minute goalie swap, Fleury played great.

Glad to see the Bruins find their footing in the past month.

They looked great in the 3rd period last night.

Go Nashville!

The Preds keep sending me emails for tickets, hard to believe the home games coming up aren't sold out. They will be once they release tickets back to Chicago.

The Leafs and Sens didn't quit, either, good for them!

I went to middle school with Tom Chorske. He once walked up to me out of the blue, punched me in the face, and called me a faggot. Hope that winning a cup with the Devils helped him...er...grow a little.

I don't dislike Chicago, even though they are a Dallas rival, sort of, but I did enjoy that last score. I'd like to see Nashville go all the way.

It's tough to "cheer" for any team when your own team is out.

All I can do is hope that teams I don't like get eliminated.

...------

Yesterday's games involving the Canadian teams in particular was just sensational hockey. You didn't need a horse in the race to enjoy fantastic end to end play, hard hits and overtime to settle things. With Canada the hockey nation that it is, it should come as no surprise why there's not widespread support for [professional] soccer in Canada, given its lack of offense and speed and touch someone and it's a penalty rules, even in the three cities with a team. If you have trouble sleeping, watch a soccer game.....better than Ambien!

My error, thanks for the correction, I changed it. Although, in many parts of Canada, Quebec is seen as its own country, when another woe-are-us situation crops up. Legislation years ago forced federal branches of the government everywhere in the country to deal in both English and French, regardless of the French speaking percentage of the population it served being very low. Many haven't forgot that day.

Minnesota falls, now down 0-3.

Tough place to be...

The other teams that are down 2-0 were playing on the road, now returning home.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Pens win 5-4 in OT. Wild, hard hitting game. Jackets now down 0-3.

The most unexpected part of this round of the playoffs, the above mentions notwithstanding is Chicago getting shutout twice......at home!......and the entire team being beaten in scoring by Nashville's goalie Rinne no less! Bet that's never happened before!

The most unexpected part of this round of the playoffs, the above mentions notwithstanding is Chicago getting shutout twice......at home!......and the entire team being beaten in scoring by Nashville's goalie Rinne no less! Bet that's never happened before!

– Windsordave

And now da 'Hawks gotta come to Smashville... watch out for flying catfish!

Register Sign in to join the conversation