Miscellaneous Rumbles

London is kick ass town

Clean and crowded. Any suggestions anyone? I'm on embankment. Would like to hear some music.

You'll have to do a bit of Googling to see what's on, but try The Borderline (just off the top end of Charing Cross Road -- nearest tube station is Tottenham Court Road) or the 100 Club in Oxford Street (also near Tott. Ct. Rd tube station and five minutes walk from The Borderline). Hope you find something worthwhile.

If you like art, the museums are fabulous. I'm a particular fan of the Tate Britain, primarily because the Turner gallery is absolutely dazzling. National Portrait Gallery is great.

Camden Town market is always fun.

Don't know about current venues and clubs. But when I was there a decade ago, a friend took us to a dance club that was pretty hot. And in the middle of all the trendy stuff, the dj played Strawberry Fields and the place went wild. Was awesome.

One of the very few big cities that I'd care to visit. I had tons of fun when I was stationed in England. Oddly, the best lasagna I ever had was in London.

Thanks. Yes we are meeting with two artists while here, so we are going to many art museums. The art in Westminster is amazing. Paintings done in 1010! (Egg yolk based) still clearly via bale along with sculptures on graves....wow. Architecture is amazing. From super old to yucky new stuff. History buffs dreams come true. We walked almost ten miles today. Maybe gotta find a guitar store

Two small museums that are great are the Wallace Collection near Oxford Circus...lots of old armour for knights AND horses! Plus beautiful old paintings including famous pre raphaelites. Plus we he John Soane museum in Lincoln’s Inn Fields.

Will make plans with ya for Thursday by email, looking forward to it

The V&A has an amazing musical instrument collection as well as knowing how to display properly. Go to the print room and they will bring out incredible original prints and drawings for you to look at. Everything from Rauschenbergs to the original pencil drawings for Winnie-the-Pooh. I miss England.

London has over 2000 years of history, and is ne of the largest cities in the world. I'd think anyone could find something of interest. Ask a London cabbie---they know tons of interesting things and places.

Clean and crowded. Any suggestions anyone? I'm on embankment. Would like to hear some music.

Try Ronnie Scott's in Frith Street, Soho. Mainly jazz musicians but also has rock, blues and 'world music' artists on occasions (eg. Jeff Beck). Should be listed in the 'Whats on' section in the London evening papers.

My daughter lives in London and I visit often , much to my bank account demise. I do love England and all things about my English extended family , But NYC is still the capital of the world. With out a doubt, no questions ask, The BIG APPLE is, Bar none, the city of cities. I have been all around this big blue world and I always land back in NYC

If you have money its ^kickass* ......if not its a drag ,done it both ways 80s n 90s

ps moderated my language from my original description!

Nowhere is cool without money. It's a cold world when your down.

It always amazes me that folks seem to be able to go out in London. I’ve been poor there, ok there then left because I thought I wasn’t getting good value for money. 35 years. Squatted and was on the wrong side of the tracks for 15 of those years. And I had a ball. Good times and hard times but didn’t regret it until I decided it was time to move on

It always amazes me that folks seem to be able to afford to go out in London. I’ve been poor there, ok there then left because I thought I wasn’t getting good value for money. 35 years. Squatted and was on the wrong side of the tracks for 15 of those years. And I had a ball. Good times and hard times but didn’t regret it until I decided it was time to move on

The West End used to have plenty of GuitarShops ! Used to hear Davy Graham above Andys Guitars.

Was a great trip. Would go again.

I'm glad you had a good time, Dave.

Crazy crowds. Awsome street markets. Modern stuff on top of a time warp. 1950-60 vibe with mom and pop shops and Uber fancy dept stores. Subways and trains so easy to use. Very clean city. Yeah there are areas that aren’t perfect. Overall would go again.

Denmark Street for music shops. There are several guitar shops within a few blocks of that area. The Tower of London is fun because the Beefeaters do the tours. Kua’Aina on Goodge Street does a really good Hawaiian tuna steak burger. Get it with pineapple and avocado. Mr. Fogg’s Gin Parlour near Leicester Square if you’re into gin. La Bodega Negra right off Charing Cross Road. Good Mexican food. The neon sex shop signs will tell you you’re there. British Museum is free and awesome. Don’t try to see it all. Pick a section and spend time or try to find the 10 big artifacts. The Auld Shillelagh on the north side of town has good live music. Great Irish bands. The Cineworld Leicester Square has a great IMAX theatre. One of the best around with laser projection. Super crisp. But one of my favourite places is Highgate cemetery. There are two sections - east and west. West is only open if you book ahead one of the tours. Something not everyone goes to see but very good scenery and relaxed environment.

Had a ball. Home now. Whew!

Hey Dave, glad your back safe and sound. Not sure you had a dog in this fight , but WAY TO GO EAGLES!!! I by the way am a Giants fan born and bread, so I dfo hates the little eagles yes I do. But as I had no dog to even show up with, I of course have to by all means had to root for the NFC East

In London this week and just went to Evensong at St Paul’s Cathedral tonight and the natural chorus effect on the choir was amazing.

I feel stupid but I never quite knew why the modulation effect we call chorus was called chorus.

Now I know.

It's been a while...

I traveled to London for 2 decades. Wife's parents had a ReLo there, near Sloan Square, as well as a lot of Business Travel working for a Brit Conglomerate. A year of my Life has been in London.

I always enjoyed it, showed lots of others around.

Maybe the easiest 1st Overseas visit for an American, making the most of our odd, confusing History.

Register Sign in to join the conversation