Miscellaneous Rumbles

Locking threads

Most of the time I think it's necessary to lock threads when the train not only falls off the tracks but also knocks down the train station.

One of the problems with doing that is that people don't get the opportunity to clear the air and move on.

In the thread that showed the picture of the arch top with the Floyd Rose and I referred to it as a crossdresser, an inanimate object not any person.

Sorry in advance if this blows up too, I needed to say it.

Yep, that thread turned and burned pretty hard.

Proof that tubes aren't the only things that "red plate." Lol

That said, there's always a reason for red plating. Easier to diagnose on an amp though.

Most of the time I think it's necessary to lock threads when the train not only falls off the tracks but also knocks down the train station.

One of the problems with doing that is that people don't get the opportunity to clear the air and move on.

In the thread that showed the picture of the arch top with the Floyd Rose and I referred to it as a crossdresser, an inanimate object not any person.

– Curt Wilson

Curt explained this to me in a DM, and I apologised for the misunderstanding.

You really have to be careful with threadlock. You must be sure you want those parts to stay together exactly like you have them, or you’re likely to do more damage taking them apart later than you saved in trouble by locking the threads in the first place!

When someone was taking too long to tune, my buddy Gregg would say, in a parodic lisping ignernt-hillbilly drawl, “Hey buddy, when you git that thang in tune, why’ont ya let me way-eld it?”

Welding is a little more serious than thread-lock, but not all that much. But hey, why couldn’t we put a dab of threadlock on the gear of an open tuner once we get tuned up?

– Curt Wilson

yeah, right. given your record i totally believe that. you're just trying to cover your ass after blowing it bigtime. otherwise you would apologize to me.

Don’t do that.

Because if you have a personal issue with someone you take it up with them personally and privately.

Because it says right there in the box, “don’t be a jerk”

Because you’ve already got one thread locked, and left behind a mess i’ll have to clean up.

Do I need to go on?

Get your head on straight.

my head is on straight. get yours on straight, and learn to see both sides rather than expecting me to join in the local penchant for celebrity worship.

The thread locks I’ve seen all seemed appropriate to me. And you can’t post without being reminded “don’t be a jerk” so no one has an excuse.

That whammy bar on the guitar sure was insane tho

The thread locks I’ve seen all seemed appropriate to me. And you can’t post without being reminded “don’t be a jerk” so no one has an excuse.

That whammy bar on the guitar sure was insane tho

I don't know Mac, seems like maybe you're envious of Billy's success and saying some pretty hurtful stuff for a peace loving hippie.

well, i was asked directly not to be combative, so all i can say is that that's pretty much the opposite of the truth. i'm actually grateful for my lack of quote-"success"-unquote because i wouldn't have been able to survive the "get in the van" lifestyle that everybody independent had to live back in the 80s-90s. i'd have lasted about a week and a half.

You really have to be careful with threadlock. You must be sure you want those parts to stay together exactly like you have them, or you’re likely to do more damage taking them apart later than you saved in trouble by locking the threads in the first place!

When someone was taking too long to tune, my buddy Gregg would say, in a parodic lisping ignernt-hillbilly drawl, “Hey buddy, when you git that thang in tune, why’ont ya let me way-eld it?”

Welding is a little more serious than thread-lock, but not all that much. But hey, why couldn’t we put a dab of threadlock on the gear of an open tuner once we get tuned up?

– Proteus

And I can hear Gregg saying that.

If you ever want to laugh for hours hang around with Gregg and Sam when you get a chance.

If anything posts like this one and the one that was locked just go to show how the very fabric of our society is unraveling.

It is very sad indeed that people can’t seem to get along anymore.

Gone, it seems is a healthy sense of humor. Gone is the ability to laugh at yourself, a quality that is one of the most enduring for the human race.

We are so quick to attack and to judge!

.... And we are so quick to sensor, to lock down what we don’t like.

What happened to us, and how do we get back to a more “balanced” way of walking the earth?

I don’t blame Baxter, I feel he is, like the rest of us, caught up in this tidal wave of political correctness.

I do feel we will climb out of this quagmire of polarity.

also, a clarification: i was never one of those 1967-era love-everybody hippies. i was too young for that, and cut my teeth in the early 70s as a "freak"; we were associated with the old school via clothing/music/drugs, but never cottoned to "turn the other cheek" when it regards existential threats to our existence. by 1970 anyone with eyes and a brain could see that idealism was basically hopeless, and as a result we were as cynical as you might expect from people living under the Richard J. Daley and Richard Nixon regimes.

also, a clarification: i was never one of those 1967-era love-everybody hippies. i was too young for that, and cut my teeth in the early 70s as a "freak"; we were associated with the old school via clothing/music/drugs, but never cottoned to "turn the other cheek" when it regards existential threats to our existence. by 1970 anyone with eyes and a brain could see that idealism was basically hopeless, and as a result we were as cynical as you might expect from people living under the Richard J. Daley and Richard Nixon regimes.

– macphisto

That is a pretty cynical POV, but I think that is not the case with "anyone with eyes and a brain" .

well, when it got to the point where they were shooting nonviolent protestors it seemed pretty clear that there was no place for our lives in the American machine.

"political correctness" is what they used to call "good manners"

People railing against "political correctness" are just pissed off they can't say whatever they want whenever they want.

I'm really sick of "political correctness" and "censorship" claims when someone is just unhappy that they got called on their BS.

"political correctness" is what they used to call "good manners"

People railing against "political correctness" are just pissed off they can't say whatever they want whenever they want.

I'm really sick of "political correctness" and "censorship" claims when someone is just unhappy that they got called on their BS.

– Baxter

My point is that people are too reactive...

Used to be that, if you said something truly offensive you would come to the point that you would apologize. Do people apologize anymore?

Used to be that if someone made a crack at your lifestyle “choice” you would laugh it off.

It’s not the fact that we can no longer say “what we want” its the the fact that everything has become politicized. It has become the politics of political correctness.

Now it’s deemed a form of prejudice, or even the dreaded race card is played, if someone makes a “crack” at let’s say a “hippie.”

Thanks for that clarification, Hipbone. And yes, apologies do seem to be in short supply these days.

When I’m on a forum like this one I assume I am a guest in the owners living room and conduct myself accordingly. I avoid insulting him/her or their guests and I try to use my best manners, even if I think one of the guests might be a jerk. It’s the host’s responsibility to manage the guests, not mine.

I'd choose the ugly truth over a sweet lie every time.

When I’m on a forum like this one I assume I am a guest in the owners living room and conduct myself accordingly. I avoid insulting him/her or their guests and I try to use my best manners, even if I think one of the guests might be a jerk. It’s the host’s responsibility to manage the guests, not mine.

– Mr_Christopher

My mother in law would love you! :)

People have gotten far too thin skinned. I'm no stranger to "edgy" humor. On the other hand, there's the old adage, "If you can't say anything nice, STFU." So, I must walk a fine line sometimes. The trick is to know when. Even then, someone's likely to be offended.

Just remember---just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.