Miscellaneous Rumbles

Lindsey Buckingham Hospitalized

I am sad to say that late last week Lindsey underwent emergency open heart surgery. He is now recuperating at home and each day he is stronger than the last. While he and his heart are doing well, the surgery resulted in vocal cord damage. While it is is unclear if this damage is permanent, we are hopeful it is not.

This past year has been a very stressful and difficult year for our family to say the least. But despite all this, our gratitude for life trumps all obstacles we have faced at this moment. We feel so fortunate he’s alive. As does he. He looks forward to recovery and putting this behind him. Needless to say, all touring and shows currently scheduled have been put on pause for the moment as he gathers the strength to heal completely.

Our family thought it important to share what’s happening with Lindsey with the hope that inspires someone else to seek preventative care. Lindsey’s family has a history of heart issues, having lost both his father at 56 and his brother at 46 to heart related illness. If anyone is experiencing even the mildest of symptoms we encourage you to seek the care of a physician.

We are so thankful for the kind and generous love given by the people surrounding Lindsey, me and our kids throughout this emotional time. We can’t thank you enough for all you did for our family. We will never forget you. XO

• Kristen Buckingham

Taken from Lindsey's Facebook page.

Wow. He looks terrible. And that was probably the best picture they snapped. Lesson learned that if heart problems run in your family....stay away from the coke.

Coke is bad all around.

Heart issues or not.

Wow. He looks terrible. And that was probably the best picture they snapped. Lesson learned that if heart problems run in your family....stay away from the coke.

– guitarcapo

Open heart surgery will do that to you. Hope he gets well soon.

Tough course. Hang in there Lindsay.

Wow!! Thanks very much for sharing, John.

Wow, I was not expecting this. Thanks for posting John and hoping he has the best, easiest recovery possible.

All the best to you, Lindsey and family. ... I was reluctant to open this or read about it at first but good to see he looks well on the way to recovery. So that’s great news!

Probably the last thing on his mind now is playing guitar or not being in Fleetwood Mac any longer. Wonder if being ousted out of Mac had a role in weakening his heart any? Taking cocaine of course will do that even if it's in years past but wonder if being ousted from Mac had an impact of weakening his heart or was the straw that broke the camels back.

IMO he looks like a 69 year old man who just had major surgery. All things considered, he looks pretty good to me. Hopefully he has a full recovery.

Open heart surgery is brutal. The sternum is split and pulled apart. The heart must be stopped and bypassed in order to perform the surgery. So if a heartbeat is the definition of life, the patient is technically dead during the whole procedure.

It’s a rough recovery under the best circumstances. I can’t imagine the kind of dreams one would have.

I wonder if NOT being on tour with FM saved his life. He could have been onstage or alone in a hotel room...

I wonder if NOT being on tour with FM saved his life. He could have been onstage or alone in a hotel room...

– charlie chitlins

True. Didn't Robert Palmer suffer a heart attack on stage then he later died? Bernard Edwards of Chic cause of death was pneumonia and was found in his hotel room in Japan. He was ill and performed then later died. maybe had he been home he would have lived. Bowie had six heart attacks before cancer took him. On his final tour he suffered blockage of an artery. This ended his touring life and he became a recluse for the rest of his life until just shortly before he died he emerged in the public eye. He would may have died on stage had he continued. He was a heavy smoker who did lots of cocaine when he moved to Los Angeles in the 70s and took loads of it with Iggy Pop in Berlin. probably killed him decades later even though been clean for years.

Yeah Buckingham leaving Mac may have saved his life.

Register Sign in to join the conversation