Miscellaneous Rumbles

Let’s talk knobs!

I know we've covered this before, but I've not had too much luck with the search function so I thought I'd just re-ask. Is there any difference between vintage (59-60 era) arrow-thru-G knobs and modern day equivalents?

Ta muchly.

Apart from big price difference, I thought they were interchangeable. I have used both. No one seems to like later aluminum (aka Baldwin) knobs better tho

The knurling is and imprint are a little finer on vintage.

Metric vs. American standard on the grub screws. Also, vintage plating and knurling is sloppier.

Apart from big price difference, I thought they were interchangeable. I have used both. No one seems to like later aluminum (aka Baldwin) knobs better tho

– DCBirdMan

Another vote down for those cheesy looking aluminum knobs Baldwin seemed to like.

I was thinking this might have been R rated...

IIRC calling someone a "knob" in the UK is not a complement....

I wouldn't take it as a compliment on this side of the pond either.

Well, to use it as an insult you’d likely drop the ‘k’, as in:

See you, you’re a proper nob!

But as the ‘k’ is silent it’s immaterial really.

I was thinking this might have been R rated...

– Curt Wilson

If it had been, it might have been followed up with calls for pics or it didn’t happen.

Well Baldwin knobs have been seen on lo-end models from the year just prior to 1967 Baldwin taking over. Heck Fender changed knobs on Teles once or even twice

Deke,

I can take pics if you want, but the quality of the knurl Is better on the vintage knobs, And the smooth band around the top edge above the knurl is slightly smaller.

Register Sign in to join the conversation