Miscellaneous Rumbles

let the chips fall where they may

"Elephant Talk"

Talk, it's only talk Arguments, agreements, advice, answers Articulate announcements It's only talk

Talk, it's only talk Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker Brouhaha, balderdash, ballyhoo It's only talk Back talk

Talk talk talk, it's only talk Comments, cliches, commentary, controversy Chatter, chit-chat, chit-chat, chit-chat Conversation, contradiction, criticism It's only talk Cheap talk

Talk, talk, it's only talk Debates, discussions These are words with a D this time Dialogue, dualogue, diatribe Dissention, declamation Double talk, double talk

Talk, talk, it's all talk Too much talk Small talk Talk that trash Expressions, editorials, expugnations, exclamations, enfadulations It's all talk Elephant talk, elephant talk, elephant talk

Perhaps the greatest moment of creativity in human history....

"Elephant Talk"

Talk, it's only talk Arguments, agreements, advice, answers Articulate announcements It's only talk

Talk, it's only talk Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker Brouhaha, balderdash, ballyhoo It's only talk Back talk

Talk talk talk, it's only talk Comments, cliches, commentary, controversy Chatter, chit-chat, chit-chat, chit-chat Conversation, contradiction, criticism It's only talk Cheap talk

Talk, talk, it's only talk Debates, discussions These are words with a D this time Dialogue, dualogue, diatribe Dissention, declamation Double talk, double talk

Talk, talk, it's all talk Too much talk Small talk Talk that trash Expressions, editorials, expugnations, exclamations, enfadulations It's all talk Elephant talk, elephant talk, elephant talk

– Hipbone

I can take a hint. Less talk. Time for an instrumental.

That is one happy elephant!

Ah, Jill Ireland. She didn’t get Spock, but she did find Charles Bronson, the love of her life.

– Deed Eddy

Yes, indeed. Love is all you need.

...and Happy Birthday, Deed, btw!

I sometimes consider myself pretty lucky that Mrs Daddy never wants to talk about "feelings". I worked out she's uninterested in what other folk have to say. Coming up as INTJ small talk is mostly unnecessary for her.

As Max Ehrmann wrote in Desiderata, "Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass."

I'm A) Notoriously thin-skinned and B) in the actual business of verbal communication.

The written word can seem very harsh to me.

I had to write dry, impersonal opinions for a living during a short-ish period where I was working in union-management arbitrations. I was good at my job and had what I was told was a better-than-average success rate, but I was also almost always in trouble because lawyers (bless their little hearts) are apparently not supposed to chuckle when perusing rulings from the Chair.

(As a futile attempt to separate sense of humor from dayjob, I took a freelance position with a local weekly as a humorist. While the weekly (and enough readers to keep me semi-employed) enjoyed my offerings, the encouragement backfired when it came to more serious writings. So I left the paper (can't really live on what they offered for 800 words every two weeks, and because the humor was essentially local, can't really get a syndication deal, either) and accepted that so long as I held the arbitration position, I had to work very hard to keep my tongue out of my cheek and try diligently not to include paragraphs like the opening one above in my endeavors.)

For the most part, I was almost successful, but when offered a surprisingly-generous buyout, I decided it was time to retire to the full-time job of under-employed musician. It's a lot simpler, now.

But I've long held true to something I learned early on in those years, namely "If you think what you just wrote might be taken the wrong way, it probably will be."

Many of the cases that came my way dealt with email that really should not have been sent. The employee (or manager, because it happened on both sides of the cubicle) who "accidentally" hits "reply all" before sending out a vitriolic, spew-worthy stream of Lenny-Bruce-was-an-Oxford-Scholar epithets in error (or not), et cetera is suddenly made aware of the possibility of grave consequences for that split second attack of whyiotta. Too late for many of those unfortunates, I still tried to convince both sides that if the offender promised to never, ever...etc. I usually included a piece of unsolicited thought on writing emails of a certain cretinous type. My advice to all remains the same:

Write the note if you must. Get the poison out of your system. THEN, put it in your "drafts" folder, take the night off and re-visit the note next day. Better yet, wait two days. Then, if you STILL want to send it as your resignation/breakup/divorce/etc letter, by all means go ahead. But I was willing to bet that 95% or more of those crackpot notes would never have seen the light of day if the writer had simply waited until the heat of whatever moment had died down a piece.

And now I have realized that I am beginning to give Proteus a run for his money when it comes to verbosity-ness, although I fear I am nowhere near as intelligent appearing..

Adieu for now...

Iontknow, Kevin, I thought that sounded purty smart.

As an over-writer, I don't mind seeing a good thorough download of someone else's thought processes.

Hey Bax, I keep getting the “Aw, nuts!” page when I try to access GDP by any means other than by going through an existing thread. In other words, I can't get to the home page. Does that mean I’m locked out forever? What can I do to atone for my sins of which I’m not aware? I emailed you to this effect but received no reply. Sadly, it seems that the best I can hope for is to be logged out. Well, I did prophetically title this thread "let the chips fall where they may".

I still think we need a sarcasm font.

– Don Birchett

I agree Don, but I'd be happy with the wink emoticon working again. It's a good indication of sarcasm at times and I'd sure welcome its return. Can it be that hard to do??

I honestly think that if emoticons are needed to make your point clear, you are either a really bad writer, or we are really bad readers.

– chrisbo

Thanks for the earworm, Chrisbo.

I think that one burrowed in fairly deep . . . very catchy tune.

Last time I checked, Bax doesn't charge us by the word. I am criticized for being "too formal" in my writing and business attire, dealings, just all of it. Perhaps, that's the reason I so love "letting my hair down" in every way. But, my double English Major and French Minor loves the well crafted, exquisitely descriptive prose. And, again & Always, Proty, I'll read every syllable you ever choose to write--and love it all.

Glad I missed the kerfluffle.

It could be verse.

Just one thought, some post seem to have been deleted, but to answer them. I do not need forgiveness, not from any man or any god or from the devil, I will never kneel in front of any man or god and beg it much last actually ask for it. Forgiveness can not be granted by anything, we all die with our sins. I can live and die with mine. Might be folks should look at the debit they might have rung up in the short time any of us have on this big blue ball.

Can't believe I've been sucked back into this.

Chips? I like chips. I like chips a lot. I like chips so much that I carry a bottle of malt vinegar at all times just on the off chance that chips might happen. Bring on the chips!

Just one thought, some post seem to have been deleted, but to answer them. I do not need forgiveness, not from any man or any god or from the devil, I will never kneel in front of any man or god and beg it much last actually ask for it. Forgiveness can not be granted by anything, we all die with our sins. I can live and die with mine. Might be folks should look at the debit they might have rung up in the short time any of us have on this big blue ball.

Can't believe I've been sucked back into this.

– chrisbo

{Gist of deleted post, written in the spirit of friendship before the silence was broken.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation