Miscellaneous Rumbles

let the chips fall where they may

Do you ever try to express yourself, perhaps in character, and wonder if you’re being understood correctly? Yet what you said and how you said it is succinct and further words are superfluous. On refection, you decide the possible consequences of misinterpretation are slim enough to not bother with further elaboration. The odds against that are worth the risk, you tell yourself. It happens to me often, particularly on a forum such as this.

Verbal communication is fraught with pitfalls especially when different cultures are engaged in conversation, although sharing the same language - English. Bear in mind the absence of body language when using only the printed word. All those nuances of physical expression are missing. "Am I being read right?", you ask yourself. Is it worth worrying about for the sake of not compromising your brevity of meaning?

Such is the pace of modern living most of us probably opt for just “getting it down” quickly in the hope that those reading what we write know us well enough to read between the lines and hear the spoken word complete with dialect sufficiently to understand us without us being unnecessarily longwinded.

That said, I find myself being verbose right now. Sorry ‘bout that. What do you think about the limitations of these exchanges and the value of telescoping our thoughts into as few words as possible idiomatically? Would you rather spell out what you mean in detail? Deliberately adopting an amusing characterisation is sometimes tempting, is it not? Saying the exact opposite of what we mean is fun once in a while, don’t you think? ‘Nuff said.

With no two humans being exactly alike, it is impossible to EXACTLY communicate using any spoken or written language. You're always going for 'close enough'. As you increase the size of the target audience, you also increase the likelihood that you will be misunderstood. I have adopted a philosophy of just telling the truth as I see it, with all of the filters that I have developed in the course of living my own life. Some will approve and some will not. My personal objective is to convey my meaning with as much brevity as possible.

I am repulsed by group think, herd mentality, phony diplomacy, political correctness, and dishonesty. My communication generally reflects this belief. On this particular forum, I'm generally going for comedy relief (although not on this post).

Well said. I couldn't agree more - particularly with that last para.

A while ago, and not on this forum, I was conversing with someone via the internet and I thought I made a funny comment. I assumed incorrectly that it would be taken as such. Unfortunately it was taken seriously. Ever since then I have been careful to be conscious of how what I have written may be interpreted. Additionally I use emoticons to assist in interpretation.

Rule #1: Keep it stupid, simple.

A dry sense of humour can be problematic. or can help. You're right, GreTschocaster.

Rule #1: Keep it stupid, simple.

– NJBob

KISS, of course. Ha!

Excuse me for a few minutes while I walk the dog? It's 4.50 am here in Melbourne. Back soon. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

There is a section in the comedy universe where saying or doing something completely inappropriate is hilarious. Think the Sheldon character on the Big Bang Theory as an example. Or the guy saying 'Does this mean a BJ is out of the question?' right in the heat of an argument with his partner. As long as there is no malice behind the comment and you would be OK if the same thing was said to you.......

We all use the GDP for self-diagnosis.

The Annual Fee is ....

The a la carte Daily Fee ....

We all use the GDP for self-diagnosis.

The Annual Fee is ....

The a la carte Daily Fee ....

– Twangmeisternyc

Does a donation to the GDP Sperm Bank count?

Educators and psychologists have known for years that written communications are the least effective means for accurate and clear communication.

The combination of verbal and visual is most effective.

Educators and psychologists have known for years that written communications are the least effective means for accurate and clear communication.

The combination of verbal and visual is most effective.

– senojnad

A truer word was never spoken. (Please ignore that earlier vulgarity.)

Here's a pic of my just-walked, four-legged friend, Gentry. He vocalises but talks to me mainly by means of body language. I've learnt a lot from him.

Jeffed- Your post really rang relevant for me with the volume of email communications at work. When possible, and I will guess it is about 80% of the time for me, I follow-up an email with a phone call Vocal inflection is of huge value.

Jeffed- Your post really rang relevant for me with the volume of email communications at work. When possible, and I will guess it is about 80% of the time for me, I follow-up an email with a phone call Vocal inflection is of huge value.

– NJDevil

Yep, you can't beat that person-to-person connection, NJD.

Now to bed, it being 9 am and still sleepless. (Outro with appropriate music)

Don't waste words. Get to the point. None of that "blah blah blah". Short and succinct. I hate story tellers.

My dad was a great collector of both funny aphorisms and wise sayings. Among his favorites was this one:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Another was "A man without a sense of humor is not to be taken seriously."

Funny observation. A few weeks ago, in a somewhat drunken stupor, I posted an honest (but embarrassing) post about my worry that I'm about to be fired. Someone wrote,"If you're as good a worker as you say someone will pay your worth to have you work for them."

"If you're as good a worker as you say" stuck with me because nowhere in my posts did I discuss my relative merits. I didn't respond and, in fact, stayed off this site ever since.

My kitty’s name is Mittens.

Thanks for sharing, although somewhat off-topic. Oh, what the heck - here's a pic of Gentry when he was a puppy. My ex put a tee-shirt on him. Cute, huh?

We lose forum members because of written misunderstandings, be it on our side, or theirs.

I just finished a course on communication and one point was that body language/facial expression is 90% of communication.

I've just learned to be misunderstood.

I actually came off as quite the little piss with NJBob last year in a text. I didn't mean to and after I re read it I thought how it appeared and immediately asked him to call me. Everything was fine after we talked but it does happen.

A couple of days ago I commented on several obviously-heavy psychobilly vids Buddy Mercury posted. I went into character and said "Such a syrupy selection, he said dryly. Aint ya got nuthin hard-edged?" He hasn't talked to me since. That was actually the inspiration for this thread. I'm not 100% sure if I may have offended him. Probably not but you never know for sure when you're limited to the written word.

We need more emoticons.

I had an email exchange with Proteus, the other day, that ended with, "I hate emotions," We both agreed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation