Miscellaneous Rumbles

Laugh at your age

I'll be 50 this year and I have decided to laugh at 50. I refuse to get old. I'm pretty close to the same physical shape that I was in at 19 with about 4 extra inches around the waist. When I was 19 I was 6 feet tall, 185 pounds with a 28 inch waist. It's been a lot of work but I'm almost there. lots of red meat, heavy bag and lifting. Running starts soon.

Anyone else decide to stay young forever? It feels great. Physical activity can't be beat.

Wish I could join you. Too late for me---COPD and arthritis KO'd working, much less working out, even taking long walks. I'd love just to take the dog for a hike in the woods, go canoeing, ride a bike. Any humidity is a PITA. Up until five years ago, before the inhaled steroids that help me breathe, I was 175# and 6'2", 32-34" waist. I could still fit into my USAF uniforms. Worked on stage doing 12-16 hour days too often. I've spent forty years out working twenty year old kids. Now, I'm not so slim anymore. Retired early due to med issues. I've got nearly twenty years on you, so, that may be a factor too. I wish you luck. Your Marine training will be a lot of help. Semper Fi!

I turned 60 last month. I've lost 30+ pounds (on purpose) over the last year and a half, would like to drop another 10 to 15. I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

Hi Grumps! I just turned 45 the only thing that has slowed me down recently is my new job that started in the 2nd week of January because of the commute. It has taken me from 5 days/week in the gym to barely 2! It's not the age though but the sleep debt as the week roles on.

Keep moving is the key and nutrition!!!! Red meat is the key and keeping carbs to mostly fiberous green veggies. I eat good grass fed red meat and load up on kale, spinach, bell peppers and broccoli. I cheat with moderate rice and pasta but......and this is the kicker.....I have cut out alcohol. I might have a couple beers on a Sunday night but that is it.

Fiber is key also. I think we should be consuming 24 -30g of fiber so beans and lentils are my friend. No dairy except Baskin Robbins maybe twice/month.

I need to be more disciplined with my sleep though. When I get that in order, I'll be feeling as good as I did before the new job and like you said, I feel stronger and healthier now than when I was in college.

It's true that we're producing about 70% less testosterone than when we were 20 but this can be managed.

I also supplement with Myoplex because of the decent protein but even more impressive nutrition profile. I've been told to look into Isagenix and Cor-Restor (it is a great nitric oxide booster and dilates the blood vessels allowing more blood, which is loaded with oxygen, to the muscles).

Training smart and being active is the key!

So far I get up every morning. Or roughly morning.

At 22 I was immortal and didn’t even know it. At 40, I remembered being immortal and could still pretend. At 55 I thought I had at least held mortality to a draw. At 63 I’ve given up resenting what I’ve lost and just appreciate what I still have. I can see that when the time comes, I’ll feel like I’m ready.

Good luck with all that.

There are moments in life when the universe opens up long enough to see infinity and know what it is to be immortal. Those moments are brief but eternal glimpses through the eyes of gods, memories they trade us for the favor of letting them wear our bodies for awhile.

That’s all the immortality we get.

After working the graveyard shift for 30 years I’ve concluded that staying up all night and trying to sleep during daylight hours wreakes havoc on the body and mind. Im 55 but I look and feel ten years older. All biological organisms function by light cycles. Fighting Mother Nature takes its toll and takes it hard.

If I weren’t laughing I’d be crying.

Eat varied and fresh. Stay away from ready made and junk food. Easy on the sugar and snacks. Take your time and enjoy.

Lots of Red meat? Not a good idea.

I have always engaged in work that required lots of heavy lifting, physically taxing, and long hours. I can honestly say that up until just over 60 years old, I could tell very little difference in my physical abilities, except that I had gained about 30 pounds from my earlier days. I allowed some issues to get to me about that time, and proceeded to lose sleep, built up unreleased anger, and quite honestly didn't know how to handle what had been thrown at me. Shortly after that I had a TIA, trans ischemic attack (mini stroke), that affected my speech and temporarily severely limited my left side usage. Fortunately it was all temporary, except that I still have difficulty forming certain words at times. My doctor told me that the TIA was a warning, but I still was not able to cope and have since had a series of TIA's that have cumulatively taken their toll, especially in physical endurance. Some things just don't go away, but also there is just nothing that can be done to rectify some situations, and accepting that is difficult.

So, as a result, I now realize that some folks actually are limited in what they can do, because that's where I am. Always before, I guess I thought that anyone could do anything they wanted to, but alas, such is not true. So, to those to whom I, out of ignorance, looked down my nose at you because of your limitations, I beg your forgiveness, because I have painfully been made to understand.

My advice to everyone is to stay active as long as you possibly can. I try very hard to walk 2 miles, briskly, every morning first thing out of bed. I also try to do some calisthenic military type exercises after my walk. It helps. A lot. I am looking to take on at least a part time job, just so that I will be forced to stay active. I have always believed that hard work never hurt anyone, but I also believe worry and mental stress will lead you to an early grave.

Stay healthy, my friends. Stay active. Maintain a purpose in life and love your neighbor with all of your might. We rarely get do overs in this life, but be thankful for those opportunities to right anything you may have done wrong. True love will keep you young.

Stay healthy, my friends. Stay active. Maintain a purpose in life and love your neighbor with all of your might. We rarely get do overs in this life, but be thankful for those opportunities to right anything you may have done wrong. True love will keep you young.

This.

I wake up at 6 every morning take Spike for a mile walk & go to work. My Fitbit averages 12,000 steps, 5 miles, 3000 calories and 15 flights a day. If that isn't good enough for sixty then I look forward to the "long nap"!

When I was 50 I played in three hockey leagues and skated open hockey everyday for two hours then had three games a week. I'm over that now and more at peace than ever.

I've maximized my life.

i decided last fall that i wasn't going to let my age determine what i can do in life. i'm 61 and am fortunate in that i don't have any serious issues other than high blood pressure and diabetes, both of which are controlled with diet and medication...so far i'm free of the cardiac and stroke issues that are so prevalent in my family. i should be exercising, but i'm tired a lot of the time. i've lost 30+ pounds since January of 2017 and plan to continue until all the visible fat is gone; i've done this by limiting my food intake. and now that my depression has improved i'm getting out for concerts a lot more...this year i'll see more live shows than at any time since the 1990s. i've gotta stay healthy so i'll be here for my cat, and there's so much music to hear and dogs to meet.

Well, for me it's been rough! I've been diagnosed with pantstootitus. Had several episodes at Walmart the other day. An 18 year girl gave me the once over on aisle 9. She looked once and it was over. When I was leaving the greeter lady said "hairy back"....how did she know??? On the little bench usually reserved for old fellars to set and gawk at the pretty girls passing by was a 5 year old little boy just crying his eyes out. I said "what's the matter little fellar?" And he said "I can't do the things the big boys do"! So I sat right down next to him and cried right along with him!! When I was 20 in my medicine cabinet I had about a half a bottle of merthiolate and two dried up bandaids. Now I have an arsenal of lotions, crèmes, oinments, not to mention lots of vitamins, powders, and natural health potions, most out of date! DO NOT take a sleeping pill and a laxative at bedtime!!! Trust me on this!! I may or may not have added a few extra pounds. I did have a scare about a week ago. A peeping tom commited suicide right outside my bathroom window. The policeman said before he died he scratched out his own eyes! So it's been rough!!

Lots of Red meat? Not a good idea.

– guitarcapo

Better than green meat.

I'm just 5" short of my ideal weight.

70 hasn't been very funny so far.

Hey Grumpy, as a fellow Marine I too look upon Life with a uniquely different outlook,as far as Age goes.We were "progammed" to be physically invincible and at Our age, a little 6 mile run is a walk in the park (I got you by 1 year). I will say that nowadays I cant get off the couch without a low moan, but damn me if I still cant get off my ass and go on a 10 mile Hump, no problem. MInd over Matter right?

Keep up the good work Brother, and maybe someday I'll buy you a beer somewhere. Semper Fi !

I've been VERY fortunate to have been blessed with good health during most of my 75 years. Retired 12 years ago and have taken off 25 + pounds since then. Been doing a LOT of exercising -- 5+ days per week on average. Hit the bicycle for about 100-125 miles per week when weather permits (about 6-8 months per year) which gets me well into the aerobic levels. During cold and/or wet weather I use a treadmill for walking at up to 3.5 mph for about an hour per day.

Not bragging -- I realize luck has been on my side and have been very grateful to have been able to maintain this level for a lot of years.

The "Message" -- if you are young (30's, 40's, early 50's) get into a regular exercise routine.

I've been VERY fortunate to have been blessed with good health during most of my 75 years. Retired 12 years ago and have taken off 25 + pounds since then. Been doing a LOT of exercising -- 5+ days per week on average. Hit the bicycle for about 100-125 miles per week when weather permits (about 6-8 months per year) which gets me well into the aerobic levels. During cold and/or wet weather I use a treadmill for walking at up to 3.5 mph for about an hour per day.

Not bragging -- I realize luck has been on my side and have been very grateful to have been able to maintain this level for a lot of years.

The "Message" -- if you are young (30's, 40's, early 50's) get into a regular exercise routine.

– senojnad

125 miles a week on a bike is no joke. Way to go!

I lost 3 friends within 18 mos. Cancer got one guy but heart issues got the other two. The second one woke me up. Thus far down forty pounds since January 2017 and got just a few more to go. Better late than never.

I'm 70 and still working 45 hours a week. I owe so much money I can't afford to die.....

Lots of red meat = bad idea, as well as protein supplements (you don't need ANY supplement if you have a healthy diet).

I'll be 64 in 2 weeks. Gave up processed flours and sugars a year-and-a-half ago and have been maintaining a 40 lb weight loss for the longest period ever. Despite a few aching joints and a bout with melanoma in 2012, feeling better than I have in a long ,long time. I think this guy in the video has the right idea.

When I die, I will still be a teen boy mentally. I gave up growing up years ago. Live for the moment! Hu rah!

Register Sign in to join the conversation