Miscellaneous Rumbles

Krylon Sparkle Spray Paint For Guitars

Anyone ever use this stuff for a sparkle finish guitar? They call it Glitter Blast which it is glitter. I am pretty sure the flakes have to be small sized to get thru a nozzle from a spray can. Wonder how good this would turn out on a guitar. I see a photo on the net that looks good though.

The Paint -

http://www.krylon.com/produ...

The guitar with it -

http://blog.craftzine.com/g...

I think this is actually the spray used on that guitar. The link you posted is more of a finisher over another color than a color itself.

I know someone posted that guitar project before, but I never got around to looking at the colors. I think I need to refinish something in that green sparkle.

You might get close to Shoreline Gold with a combo of the 2 goldish offerings they have.

I think a bass is getting sanded next week...

Do you have to sand the current finish off or can you paint over it after abrading the surface with light sandpaper and masking it all off? I have a 512X in black that I would ilke to paint the green color also.

Sorry I just read the prep instructions for this, "Lightly sand glossy surface if previously painted and remove dust with a tack cloth", so it seems I can just paint over the current black easily. No primer necessary.

do you have any idea how much i want to paint something that "Sparkling Waters" color? my Pro Jet, my volume pedal, my stove hood, my cat? but i'm SO bad at spray painting that i wouldn't be allowed to live in Los Angeles.

it's probably going to take more than one coat. why not get an old guitar body to use/learn on.

with metalflakes, you gotsa have a base coat of that colour otherwise it'll take forever to cover.

but i'm SO bad at spray painting that i wouldn't be allowed to live in Los Angeles.

Now that's funny.

I haven't used this stuff, but I did paint an old Squier strat purple sparkle years ago. I didn't sand anything, just shot over the poly and it turned out great. I do remember doing tons of really light coats, but I know I never sanded before or during the process. It was pretty tough too when done. I used a whole full size can on the body.

I really want to shoot this stuff on something soon, so I'll post when I do.

I think this is actually the spray used on that guitar. The link you posted is more of a finisher over another color than a color itself.

I know someone posted that guitar project before, but I never got around to looking at the colors. I think I need to refinish something in that green sparkle.

You might get close to Shoreline Gold with a combo of the 2 goldish offerings they have.

– Cory Ripley

– Ripley1046

Ripley, thanks for giving the right link. I knew which one was right but I must have given the wrong link by accident. Did not want to steer people wrong so glad you gave the right link.

I so want to use this stuff to re-finish my Jazzmaster in sparkle of some sorts. The problem is my JM is a nitro finish and I don't want to change this from Nitro to whatever this sparkle stuff is so I can't use it on the JM. Ever since I saw the photo of this green sparkle JM I wanted to have one like this and with this Krylon I could I suppose but once I put this on I can't or it will be hard to remove it. I know there is this Nitro vs. Poly issue but seeing mine is Nitro I don't want to take that away from the guitar if you know what I mean. But maybe if I had a Poly finished JM one day I'll go over it with this sparkle stuff.

I'd use re-ranch products, not krylon. Re-ranch sells laquer. Either way, it really depends on what you expect from a finish. If you want something that looks professional you should use a product that will give professional results. If you want it to look "Punk Rock", for lack of a better description, Krylon all the way!:D

I wonder how many clear coats it'd take to cover the glitter until it was level?

I'm getting ready to refinish a got myself, and trying to decide between paint (it would be gold glitter), or stain (vintage amber)... it's a flame maple top, so I kinda' think I shouldn't waste it?

I was thinking of gold leaf, but I have zero experience with that, and it looks like something that would require some level of skill.

If you are using laquer, 10 coats total is about right. I lay down a coat or two of clear, knock off the rough stuff, spray color & the rest is clear. So 7 or 8 coats of clear on top should just about do it. If the flake is really big, you'ld probably be better with more coats of clear. with 10 coats I usually lay down on two different days, about a week apart. Let the first 5 coats harden up, then shoot the last 5, let it sit for a couple more weeks before I touch it with sanding cloth & polish.

The quality of the glotterblasts vary from can to can. I've painted two pedals with it because the sparkle is really crazy (in a good way), but be aware it will take a LOT of clear to get it to a flat point where you can make it glassy. It's a VERY bumpy paint. Like low-grit sandpaper.

And how many clear coats recommended over a simple stain job? I know it's "however many it takes" :P but what's the ballpark? 3? 5?

I'm going to start another thread, don't want to hijack this one...

Register Sign in to join the conversation