Miscellaneous Rumbles

Knives Out

I just watched this Agatha Christie-type whodunnit on Amazon Prime. It’s thoroughly enjoyable. If you’re bored to tears or just want a quick distraction, watch this one.

We watched it last week. Pretty good, I thought. Very tightly scripted, shot, and directed - no image and no clue goes unused.

In a similar vein, there's this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

If you like Knives, you'll probably like this one even better.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Turns out that I have alot of time on my hands.

You can always watch all seven Star Trek series (and the movies) in star-date order. Find the concordance here: http://thestartrekchronolog...

Or you can delve into cosmology and astrophysics via ütoob video blogs. I'm partial to PBS's SpaceTime with Matt O'Dowd, Dr. Becky, and Cool Worlds. Any BBC productions with Jim Al-Khalili will fill in around the edges nicely. I don't think I've permanently learned a thing, though I think some basic principles gradually wear in. Either way, it's a pleasure letting it all go through the brain - and as a side benefit, all the presenters have marvelous accents.

I have that on my list to watch and was very happy to learn of its availability on Prime a couple days ago. Great cast and interesting ensemble.

You can always watch all seven Star Trek series (and the movies) in star-date order. Find the concordance here: http://thestartrekchronolog...

Or you can delve into cosmology and astrophysics via ütoob video blogs. I'm partial to PBS's SpaceTime with Matt O'Dowd, Dr. Becky, and Cool Worlds. Any BBC productions with Jim Al-Khalili will fill in around the edges nicely. I don't think I've permanently learned a thing, though I think some basic principles gradually wear in. Either way, it's a pleasure letting it all go through the brain - and as a side benefit, all the presenters have marvelous accents.

– Proteus

Make your Star Trek viewing experience the best by going by production order, not airdate order. The actors' and writers' efforts and story arcs become complete. To properly watch Star Trek, first start by watching Forbidden Planet (1957). Roddenberry lifted much from this; in one scene a character says something like " ...the timing is seventeen-oh-one." 1701 was the number of the USS Enterprise. And of course you have the wonderful Robby the Robot and yummy Anne Francis too.

Then see the original 1964 Star Trek pilot with Jeffrey Hunter, The Cage. Then see Where No Man Has Gone Before, where we first find Kirk with Spock, Hot Lips (Sally Kellerman from the movie MASH) and Gary Lockwood (doomed astronaut in 2001: A Space Odyssey). Wikipedia will guide the rest of your viewing experience; it will be a new viewing. And all the better with new special effects. I'm going to go watch Assignment Earth right now, just so I can see Teri Garr in a psychedelic minidress saying "Groovy."

The Star Trek chronology linked above does its best to determine in-universe star date for each episode, which is neither production date nor air date.

As Star Trek didn’t begin to see itself as chronologically serialized with coherent story arcs until DS9, and the star dates mentioned in voice-over logs in TOS and TNG were inconsistent and arbitrary, trying to make such a chronology is an ultimate nerd approach - but an entertaining pursuit in its own right nonetheless.

And even though the narratives only sometimes overlap or demonstrate awareness of each other, the stardate order brings interesting texture to the series which overlap each other and, in universe, are happening simultaneously. So, end of TNG and early DS9, then TNG and Voyager.

You can always watch all seven Star Trek series. Proteus

I've been a Star Trek nerd since it was first aired in the last 60's. I've watched the first five, TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR, and Enterprise, several times through, and now have been through them twice with my wife (winning her into the fold). I also watched all the Star Trek movies with her at least a couple of times each with her as well.

I keep meaning to get CBS All Access, to catch the last two, but haven't done it yet. Maybe this thread will be the thing that makes me get on board with the two, Star Trek Discovery, and Picard.

The most common line in the original Star Trek was, "He's dead, Jim."

My favorite lines are in DS9. In the reimagining of "The Trouble With Tribbles", the crew is massively surprised by the early style Klingons. They ask Worf, who's along for the ride, "What happened?" He replies, "We don't talk about it."

SIsko and his son, Jake, are on a trip with Quark and his nephew. When Sisko asks the nephew where Quark is, the kid replies, "He's in waste extraction." Extraction? Conjures up some ugly mental pictures. As it is, you never see a toilet in a space ship, aside from "20001: A Space Odyssey".

In an episode of "Futurama", there's a quick bit where Scott Bakula and Sulu are flying around in Jetson-type space ships. Sulu makes the comment, "Way to kill a franchise, Bakula".

I saw it.

I liked it, but didn't love it.

I give it 2.5 out of 5 bloody blades. IN65

...------

We watched Knives Out last night, after reading the reviews here. It's a really good movie! It's full of whodunnit fun, and kept me interested all the way through! Thank you for the heads up, Joppa!

Register Sign in to join the conversation