Miscellaneous Rumbles

Just got out of the hospital today

Those who have met me at round-ups know that I have difficulty getting around. Well that has not improved with time and has notably gotten worse. Finally, my foot Orthopedist and I reached the same conclusion: that it was time for surgery.

I went into the hospital on March 3 for what turned into ankle fusion surgery to attempt to save the foot. The doctor had been hoping to fuse below the ankle to maintain more mobility in the joint. He had to use cadaver bone, other bone from me and what looks like five pretty good sized pins/screws/bolts. He couldn't use a rod because my bones aren't strong enough.

I was in the hospital initially for four nights and then transferred to Friendship Village. Of course while I was there, the CoVid 19 Virus prevented anyone from entering the recovery center. Then last Wednesday, during the doctor visit, blood and fluid was observed coming from the incisions. So back to the hospital I went for more surgery and several batches of IV antibiotics. So now we are three weeks post-surgery with another 10-11 weeks to go before I can put ANY weight on it.

Anyway, it is sure good to be home!

Those who have met me at round-ups know that I have difficulty getting around. Well that has not improved with time and has notably gotten worse. Finally, my foot Orthopedist and I reached the same conclusion: that it was time for surgery.

I went into the hospital on March 3 for what turned into ankle fusion surgery to attempt to save the foot. The doctor had been hoping to fuse below the ankle to maintain more mobility in the joint. He had to use cadaver bone, other bone from me and what looks like five pretty good sized pins/screws/bolts. He couldn't use a rod because my bones aren't strong enough.

I was in the hospital initially for four nights and then transferred to Friendship Village. Of course while I was there, the CoVid 19 Virus prevented anyone from entering the recovery center. Then last Wednesday, during the doctor visit, blood and fluid was observed coming from the incisions. So back to the hospital I went for more surgery and several batches of IV antibiotics. So now we are three weeks post-surgery with another 10-11 weeks to go before I can put ANY weight on it.

Anyway, it is sure good to be home!

– Don Birchett

Dang Don, you take care and best to you on your recovery.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties, Don, but I'm happy to hear that you are finally home! I hope you have a satisfactory recovery, Don. It sounds like you are back on track for that. Best of luck, and best wishes for your recovery.

Sorry to hear of your foot issues Don, but the silver lining, given the state of the world these days, is that you're at home and not sequestered in the hospital. Get well soon!

Wow -- VERY sorry to hear about your foot/ankle issues, Don. Here's wishing you all the best for a good recovery.

Stay safe and heal quickly Don.

Glad you are out of the hospital now, Don. All the best with your recovery.

Take care of yourself!

That white whale sure made a mess of things :{)

Glad you're home,get well!

I was in the hospital for a week with double pneumonia last month. It's sure not fun. Glad to hear you're doing better.

Sending good vibes and healing thoughts your way ...

glad to hear that you're home and out of the hospital. it's always better to be at home. get better.

Don, I don't know whether I'm sorry to hear your leg gradually went out from under you, or I'm happy to hear you're on the mend.

Trying to keep the outlook at least 51% positive, I'll go with happy for the win!

Take care, and here's hoping you'll be re-abled sooner than expected.

All the best for your recovery sir, at least you are home ,which is the best place to be right now!

Geez! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sorry, Don - missed this. Heal quickly!

Feel better soon, Don! I'm glad you're home.

Hope you mend well, Don!

All the best for your recovery

Sorry to hear this, Don. I hope the rest of your recovery goes without any issues.

Wow, this really sucks. So very glad you are home. I don't know if you have company there, but, it sure is better than the hospital or rehab center at this miserable time.

I had total knee replacement surgery 2/25 & went to rehab on 2/29. That place was shut to visitors on 3/10. It was horrible seeing families saying goodbye for they didn't know how long.

Drew brought me home on 3/11; went to surgeon on 3/12, and had home rehab scheduled. We scrapped that due to COVID19 concerns. So, I quite literally, in every way, am working from home.

You can do this all when you are sufficiently healed. I'll do my thing for a total and quick recovery for you. Please keep us all updated.

Get well, soon, All my lovin, Olivia Anne

Sorry to hear about your ordeal too, Liv. Geez! Take care, get well, there's walkin' to do.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I've been home for a week now and totally dependent on my trophy wife of nearly 44 years. It's 4 weeks post-surgery and will probably be at least another 9 before I can put any weight on it. I have to use one of those knee scooters to get around at all and figure out how to get in and out of the bath room and shower with one leg, the scooter and some grab bars we put up.

Thankfully the people at work are very understanding and not pressuring me to get back to work quickly.

Thanks again for the prayers and well wishes. Olivia, hang in there. Knee replacements are very successful. But remember, when they say "lift with your legs, not your back", that doesn't apply to you. Don't ask me how I know that!

Register Sign in to join the conversation