Miscellaneous Rumbles

John, Dawn, Emily and Alexis.

Grief is setting in, in waves, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's such a huge and horrible event, that only time will partially heal.

I've found out some of the particulars, of the accident that took the life of my brother, John, and his 8 year old daughter, Emily.

The family was driving to church on Sunday 11/24/19, in their 2016 Chevy Traverse SUV, just outside of Spirit Lake Idaho in mild icy conditions. They were negotiating a right hand curve on a two lane rural highway, and they hit ice and slid across the center line into an on coming Ford pickup truck. The impact was on the driver side, and killed John instantly. Little 8 year old Emily, was in a child seat, directly behind her father. She suffered massive head injuries, and was air lifted to Spokane WA, to Sacred Heart Children's Hospital. She never regained consciousness, and was declared brain dead on Monday 11/25/19. She was taken off life support and allowed to join her father in heaven.

Fortunately, Dawn and 6 year old, Alexis, were not injured badly, and were treated and released later in the day on Sunday. I heard, second hand, the horror of the roadside scene, after their vehicle flipped several times, and came to rest on its side, in the ditch. It was as bad as it gets.

Words fail me, as to my emotions. I go back and forth between tears and deep thought. I was particularly close with John, and I was very proud of him. He was living a lifestyle that I always wanted to live.

John and Dawn, newly married, had moved away from Phoenix 9 years ago, to rural Idaho and bought 10 acres of beautiful land. They wanted to escape the dangers of the big city, to raise a family. Emily came first in 2011, and Alexis followed two years later. They began to build their place into a subsistence farm, planting a large garden, and raising Katahdin sheep for meat, as well as some poultry and other live stock. John had plentiful deer on the property, and during the deer season, provided venison for the table.

Dawn had a great paying job and worked from home, and John worked part time evening shifts, as a Registered Nurse and Respiratory Therapist, ran the farm and home schooled the girls. It was a great setup, and they were all very close. They were a Christian family and attended a church not too far from home. They were living the good life.

John and I communicated weekly, especially on the subject of animal husbandry. I have some subsistence farm experience and he used to consult with me, especially in raising turkeys and chickens. I was so proud of him, when he began raising Katahdin sheep. They are a long hair American breed, praised for the extremely mild tasting meat. His flock had grown to 14 ewes, from several different blood lines, and 1 ram. He had studied, for a couple of years, on a good source of subsistence farm meat, and was doing it right.

I asked John resently, if he was happy up there in Idaho. He replied "oh yes, I dearly love my wife and children, and I'm doing exactly what I want to do". John was a great musician, and played guitar and keyboard, in a local County and Western band.

This accident has ripped this family apart, and left a huge void in the lives of the rest of us. I'm still in shock, but powerful grief is setting in. No doubt it will leave a huge hole in my heart.

John had a BS in Computer Science, but later decided to pursue a career in the medical field. He was a Registered Respiratory Therapist, a Registered Emergency Medical Technician, and a Registered Nurse.

I have a lifetime of fond memories of John, flooding into my thoughts. He was nine years younger than I, and always looked to me for guidance. He lived across the street from us, when his son, Joshua, was born, in 1990. I used to hunt with John, and hang out with him. He was my baby brother, I was very proud of his accomplishments and I loved him dearly.

RIP John William Hampton 1969 - 2019

RIP Emily Elizabeth Hampton 2011 - 2019

Alexis (left), and Emily being introduced to The Brady Bunch.

Two weeks ago, at a surprise party for my fathers 80th birthday. This is Dad and 5 of his 6 children. Our mother has passed away, and our brother, David, was out of town and unable to attend. Left to right is : Thomas, John, Mary, Dad (Larry), James and Wade.

I can’t find any words that would help, but you all have my prayers.

So sad. I can't imagine the grief.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, and helping us know your people better.

John's was too short, and taken too soon - but was a life well-lived. Honorable and loving, honored and loved, he was able to make his dream come true and then live it. Not everyone is that fortunate - or has that fortitude. Such reflections don't fill the hole his passing makes (and will keep on making), but I hope you can take some comfort in the memories, and the fact that the waves his life made will go on in the hearts and minds of those who knew, loved, and were touched by him.

The death of a child - a life cut short of its promise - hits doubly hard. It drains our reservoirs of faith in the way things work; we look in vain for justice, or at least some justification. Then we wait for grace. But I'm sure Emily's life was a golden glow, radiant with the love and care with which she was lavished in her family. The time she had, though brutally truncated, was surely full and happy to her - and the joy she brought others (though overshadowed now by grief) will spread like waves through her mother, sister, all who loved and knew her.

Platitudes and clichés in the face of crushing grief...I know none of this can help much now. All of us who have been drawn into the circle of this sad tragedy, trying to offer support if not solace to you and yours, wish we could say or do something to make it better. We can't, really - but I'm sure you know the expressions of sympathy and compassion you read here are heartsent.

Emotional shock and grief...all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other, deal with it the best you can, live in your connections to those around you. Dawn and Alexis will need you all - and thankfully they also have the wider loving circle of their church to support them locally.

While the repercussions of this explosion in all your lives will continue to reverberate, gradually the waves of your good memories of these precious people will soothe and buoy you up. A life lived in interwoven webs of love isn't fully lost.

I guess that's all I've got. I'm so sorry, Wade.

We carry your grief with us, Wade.

Not experiencing this level of sadness and loss before, I can't imagine what you must be feeling, I wish there were words to comfort you and yours at this moment, but I know words fail.

Know that I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and the entire family.

Nothing can be said to make the hopelessness become anything less. The family needs to be together, being alone during this horribly tragic time shouldn't happen. The fear of going on can be crippling.

I am am so very sorry for your loss, prayers and positive thoughts.

A lot of people want you and your family to be well, Wade.

Someone told me once that it wasn't about "getting over" a tough loss such as this one, but more about learning to live with what you have gone through. That fit for me then, and maybe it'll fit for you now.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you can travel to be with your family as they gather in Idaho.

I just received this picture of John and Emily, they are together now, in heaven.

Thank you all for your kind words, and condolences. It's comforting to know that you all were so deeply touched by our loss. It's been tough, trying to sort through all of the emotions caused by this tragedy.

John will be cremated this week, but I haven't heard what arrangements are being made for Emily yet. Service for John and Emily are tentative for either December 7th or 8th. I will be going to Idaho for the service. I'm still recovering from a major back surgery, or I would be up there now. My sister and one of my brothers are there to help Dawn with making arrangements, and to care for the animals.

There will be a second service, sometime after that, in Phoenix. Dawn is from Phoenix, and most of her family and friends live here.

What a tragedy of epic proportions! There's one uptick on all that's happened that may not have occurred to most and that's that you have family to lean on in your grieving. This is essential to helping to get through everything. I know how important it is as I didn't have it when I needed it and I don't wish that scenario for anyone.

Heartbreaking, for you and all who care for you. All I can offer is my prayers, I believe all there is to comfort you. With love

Oh jeez. So sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Wade, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I’ve no sage words to add to what’s already been said by the others, as they about covered it. Just know in your heart that I and others share in your grieving. Prayers.

This is so sad. May God be with you and your sister in law and niece.

In all the grief and loss,it's important to remember that Dawn and Alexis have been hit the hardest of all,and need everything both sides of the family can do to help each of them "put one foot in front of the other"....one of the beautiful mysteries of the human condition is the kindness you give to others eases your own journey.

Thoughts and prayers......

Thank you for sharing the pictures, and helping us know your people better.

John's was too short, and taken too soon - but was a life well-lived. Honorable and loving, honored and loved, he was able to make his dream come true and then live it. Not everyone is that fortunate - or has that fortitude. Such reflections don't fill the hole his passing makes (and will keep on making), but I hope you can take some comfort in the memories, and the fact that the waves his life made will go on in the hearts and minds of those who knew, loved, and were touched by him.

The death of a child - a life cut short of its promise - hits doubly hard. It drains our reservoirs of faith in the way things work; we look in vain for justice, or at least some justification. Then we wait for grace. But I'm sure Emily's life was a golden glow, radiant with the love and care with which she was lavished in her family. The time she had, though brutally truncated, was surely full and happy to her - and the joy she brought others (though overshadowed now by grief) will spread like waves through her mother, sister, all who loved and knew her.

Platitudes and clichés in the face of crushing grief...I know none of this can help much now. All of us who have been drawn into the circle of this sad tragedy, trying to offer support if not solace to you and yours, wish we could say or do something to make it better. We can't, really - but I'm sure you know the expressions of sympathy and compassion you read here are heartsent.

Emotional shock and grief...all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other, deal with it the best you can, live in your connections to those around you. Dawn and Alexis will need you all - and thankfully they also have the wider loving circle of their church to support them locally.

While the repercussions of this explosion in all your lives will continue to reverberate, gradually the waves of your good memories of these precious people will soothe and buoy you up. A life lived in interwoven webs of love isn't fully lost.

I guess that's all I've got. I'm so sorry, Wade.

– Proteus

Thank you so much, for your beautiful words, Tim. It means a lot to me, that you took the time to write such a fitting tribute to John and Emily. You are a very thoughtful person, and your writing reflects that. I dearly appreciate your contribution.

The outpouring of support and sentiment, of the GDP community has touched me deeply. I would like to thank everyone for their individual condolences. I know that word can fail, after learning of a tragedy of this type. I've been in a fog since learning about it myself, with no adequate words to describe how I feel. Many of the people here, have picked up the torch, and said them for me.

I was initially hesitant to post about the accident so soon after the fact. But I'm now glad that I did. I was still in the numb and disbelief phase, and was far from sorting out the flood of thoughts and feelings. Reading the responses of my GDP friends, has greatly helped me in getting through these first few days. I could feel the pain in the responses of you good people, helping in sharing the burden this has caused.

We are primarily a forum for sharing our love of Gretsch guitars. But it goes even deeper than that. The longer I've been a part of this community, the more I've discovered that we are a community that loves one another.

Register Sign in to join the conversation