Miscellaneous Rumbles

Jim , (<— NOTE this is a comma!) D’Addario strings are the best.

I like D'Addario EXL110W, but as long as it's the gauge I like, I usually use whatever brand I'm overstocked on at the shop.

Meh...GHS for me

– Charlie Vegas

OK, Boomer.

Tax, I think your looking for something like the Martin Monel's, although I think they changed the name of them now. I now use these on my Martin CEO-7 and on my 52 Gibson L-4 and they work great on both guitars as an acoustic string but also work great on the L-4 when I mount the DeArmond RC1000. I may even try them on my L-4 CES next string change. The Monels are supposedly the same formula as used in the 1930's -50's. Other companys make these under there own brand also I am sure. I may also give a shout out to DR Blues as very good strings. Thanks John

Neat I learned something. Thanks!

Humourously I was in L & M trying to find these strings they make for people who want to have acoustic type strings on their archtops but use floater electromagnetic pickups. (DeArmond , McCarty etc etc,) The strings are an acoustic string with a higher ferrous metal content to the winding so the wound strings pickup better. It might be one of those neither fish nor fowl things but I thought it worth a try. I think a few brands make them.

However the guys at L & M looked at me like I was nuts and the one asked the other. "Hey this guys looking for some strings with some sort of 'fairy dust' in them. The other guy said mockingly "I don't know if we have any with fairy dust in them but here's 22 types of strings out there so pick the ones you want"...I had to explain to them what ferrous metal was and how electro magnetic pickups work and why electric guitars strings were steel or nickel wound. They didn't know! CRAZY! You would've loved it.

– Toxophilite

tox-yeah it amazing even the most seasoned guitarists know very little about picks and strings!! where the sound all starts!!...they all have their faves or ones they stick with..but really don't get why...what it is about the actual design and materials that make them good

the average music store clerk is just as poorly familiar with the subject

sounds like you are looking for the d'addario nickel plated bronze strings...a bronze phosphor string with a coating of nickel that makes it a bit more pickup friendly

the pyramid and martin monels are nice old school material..gibson mona-steels of the 50's-60's were monel..as were early rotosounds

they are good, but you may have some string volume balance issues with certain pups

cheers

ps- ghs makes lots of great strings...i been using their pure nickel big cores for years..a fave of bz's as well...and their burnished nickel rockers are swell too

I find the the original post a bit strange. But I find over the years, D'Addario strings consistent in quality and sound.

My basic personality is to jump from big companies to something else. However, D'Addario has proved it's worth.

Lee

Hey thanks powerwaonjohn and neatone. I'm going to try a set of the martin monels I also found I can pickup some of the D;Adarrio Nickel bronze strings locally This is specifically for my Hoyer Special, which has a floating 2 pickup unit made by Ideal(Fuma pickups).It is also a BRIGHT guitar acoustically I currently have normal D'Addario steel strings.They work well with the pickup but have less bottom acoustically

I saw GHS also makes something they call white bronze

Long time D' Addario user here. However I put some GHS Boomers on my cheapo Strat and I like them a lot.

Try Curt Mangan Pure Nickle strings. They are great !

yeah, good quality pure nickels might work as well...a little more oomph than monels...i like the pure nickels on vintage round inner cores...like thomastik, pyramid and dr makes...dr pure blues are nice strings and available at gc...and inexpensive

pure nickels will give you more pup output, but still give decent acoustic tone...tho not as loud acoustically as bronze based... but warmer toned than ss...

ghs boomers are nickel plated steel (nps)..they fall in between pure nickel and stainless steel as far as brightness and volume...most new electric guitars come with them standard these days..great overall strings..but a relatively late invention..the 1970's...ghs boomers are a nice example...as are jim dunlops and d'addario xl series

the world of strings is really interesting once you look deeper..keep pokin' around

cheers

Oh man.

– Proteus

I'm hoping to have a revelation soon, and understand what's happening, but it ain't here yet.

See Post 22. Please see post 22.

Not that it matters. I like that the community has made of my thread something it was never intended to be, but I'm starting to doubt my ability to communicate.

In this thread, I feel like a ghost screaming to the living who cannot hear me.

Post 22 clears it up. Why didn't I see that?

You're clearly not the only one...

some of the best threads occur when they go sideways from the op's original intention

gotta go with the flow...lots of good info here..despite your original intention..we know..but its morphed elsewhere..and its helpful..so all good

relax, we owe it all to you!

cheers

OK, Boomer.

– JBGretschGuy

My joke fell on deaf ears? We are either too young or too old.

... meaning that it's a mouldering vestige of bygone times that I thought someone other than JimR56 (who started the gag anyway, though he's now ignoring its evolution) might notice something so trivial as punctuation in a topic heading?

Interesting reflection...as we gather round the checkerboards at Cracker Barrel to talk electric guitars and Chet Atkins and Eddie Cochran and Beatles and Eagles and rockabilly and punk and tube amps and, of all things, what strings we use?

Not that it matters. I like that the community has made of my thread something it was never intended to be, but I'm starting to doubt my ability to communicate.

– Proteus

This guy can hear you...

– Proteus

This is the GDP: One may start a thread, but one may not control a thread.

Oh, completely acknowledged. I'm a thread hi-jacker from away back.

Doesn't sputtering helplessly about it just add to the texture?

I got it Tim. That's why I didn't post my thoughts on D'addario and Ernie Ball. But man, look what you started! It's typical that a joke gets more (unintended) traffic than anything else on this currently morbidly quiet board. It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

FWIW when I used to work in a music store most Aussie players wanted "Di Addarios". Or sometimes "Didadrios". I'm not making this up.

Oh, completely acknowledged. I'm a thread hi-jacker from away back.

Doesn't sputtering helplessly about it just add to the texture?

– Proteus

Well, sure! I just didn't want anyone to think you were (gasp!) serious.

They're great, they're consistent, they're well distributed and available, plenty of other great strings out there though.

Now that I found out there's actually a Mr D'Addario, I gotta wonder how much it bothers him that 75% of all guitar playing Americans pronounce it "Di Addario"

– WB

OK, I will ask. How should it be pronounced? Duh DAR e o?

just imagine the apostrophe isn't there. it's that simple. Daddario. You got it right. Same for D'Aquisto or D'Angelico. (Duhkisto and Dangelico)

Register Sign in to join the conversation