Miscellaneous Rumbles

Jim , (<— NOTE this is a comma!) D’Addario strings are the best.

And I agree..

(Although I have to try T-I's on my Rick.)

I've always used D'addario 12-52s with a wound G on all my electric. The sizes just seemed to make sense. But then I find something that works and stick with it.

D'addario EXL 11-49, nickel wound, for as long as I can remember. I've tried others; all good, but always went back to these; easy to find and the price is right. When I had the Falcon, these were too tight for me, but their half gauges worked very well. (10.5 & 14.5 for the E & B strings)

Yes I’m a very long time fan. aside from his flat wounds on a guitar here and there all of my vintage 6120s use XL115. i think it was around 1990 when I started with them. Nothing better in my opinion.

Yup. I use 11-49’s but recently tried a set of 10.5’s that reduced a bit of tension but sound great. D’addario kicks it.

Always have liked D'Add, used on about 5 of my guitars...

I concur, although the Gretsch sets that Proteus gave me were excellent while they lasted! And the price was right.

I think there’s better, but no better value. I have never had buyers remorse from them.

They're great, they're consistent, they're well distributed and available, plenty of other great strings out there though.

Now that I found out there's actually a Mr D'Addario, I gotta wonder how much it bothers him that 75% of all guitar playing Americans pronounce it "Di Addario"

I have used them in the past, and a lot of other brands also, for myself, I prefer Earnie Ball Super Slinky My wrist strength has never been great and if/when I want more projection I use the volume knob. If you read the reverse of their package it reads like a Whos Who of players.

They're great, they're consistent, they're well distributed and available, plenty of other great strings out there though.

Now that I found out there's actually a Mr D'Addario, I gotta wonder how much it bothers him that 75% of all guitar playing Americans pronounce it "Di Addario"

– WB

My guess is as long as they keep buying the strings, he won't get too upset about a little pronunciation error.

Yup. Use XL115 on most of my electrics, except the Tele, which gets 10s and the Country Club which gets XL115 W. Use EJ 16 on my acoustics. I don't care too much for the chromes, so I put TI GB 12s on the Benedetto. The Synchromatic G400 may be getting a set of those soon too.

Flat Tops for acoustics and Half Rounds on electrics.

– WB

I haven't heard that stupid pronunciation. What moron feels the need re-invent the way this name/product title should be said? Maybe 75% of Americans are dyslexic if what you say is true.

Gosh I must be a stupid dyslexic moron because I've been unintentionally pronouncing it wrong forever. They still took my money for the past 30 years and the strings still worked fine regardless of my pronunciation. I probably learned it from some other dyslexic moron.

Out of curiousity Dave what do you mean by 'Flat tops' on acoustics, Did you actually mean to say 'Flatwounds'...on acoustics??

quite a generalization!!! all stringmakers have good and bad...hard to beat thomastik or pyramid pure nickel flats!!! d'addario only makes cheaper stainless steel chrome flats...ugh

labella and ghs have been around decades as well...make quality strings

d'addario is probably the biggest oem manufacturer in the world..they make the strings for fmic..so fender and gretsch, etc are all made by d'addario

so if you hate fender strings but love d'addario strings, your foolin yourself! hah

i have nothing against d'addario..they do make some great strings..and i had family members workin for them...

but lets not get carried away with our superlatives! hah

cheers

NYXL's specifically.

Sorry, guys. The thread wasn't intended to convince anyone to use any particular string.

(For the record, I like Dee Addario strings in many instances, but also use Thomastiks and GHS and Pyramids and who-knows-what-else as the spirit moves.)

It just wasn't the purpose of the thread. (Not that it matters, I guess.)

The thread title was intended as an inside gag for JimR56, who in this thread...
(Jim D'Addario selling off part of his collection), said:

At first I thought you were talking to me... "Jim, D'Addario is selling off part of his collection". Then I noticed that there was no comma, and also realized that you don't typically start threads as personal messages to me. By the way, how come you never do that?

So I did that. And Jim(R56, not D'Addario) has either missed his personal message or is cleverer than I in not stooping to recognize the effort.

In any case, I'm appalled to think y'all would let me get away with such haphazard punctuation.

I mean, I would have expected WindsorDave to be all over me for stupid, moronic, and dyslexic (DYSLEXIC? has there been an example of dyslexia in the entire thread?) abuse of the precious English language.

My apologies for unintentionally leading you on.

Gosh I must be a stupid dyslexic moron because I've been unintentionally pronouncing it wrong forever. They still took my money for the past 30 years and the strings still worked fine regardless of my pronunciation. I probably learned it from some other dyslexic moron.

Out of curiousity Dave what do you mean by 'Flat tops' on acoustics, Did you actually mean to say 'Flatwounds'...on acoustics??

– Toxophilite

No, Flat Tops are the name of the specific strings D'Addario makes for flat/archtop guitars. The outer winding is ground down so while the string has the same brightness of normal phosphor bronze, it doesn't produce the amount of noise from your left hand fingering regular round wound strings do, and they're also easier on my right hand picking nails

The electric version employs the same manufacturing technique and are called Half Rounds.

– Toxophilite

I suspect he meant something like these:

D'Addario EFT15

Round wound strings, with a flat wound feel. Also known sometimes as "groundwounds". I've been using them on my acoustics for about ten years now. You get most of the ease of play as with flatwounds and most of the brightness of roundwounds. Pretty good longevity too.

No, Flat Tops are the name of the specific strings D'Addario makes for flat/archtop guitars. The outer winding is ground down so while the string has the same brightness of normal phosphor bronze, it doesn't produce the amount of noise from your left hand fingering regular round wound strings do, and they're also easier on my right hand picking nails

The electric version employs the same manufacturing technique and are called Half Rounds.

– Windsordave

Neat I learned something. Thanks!

Humourously I was in L & M trying to find these strings they make for people who want to have acoustic type strings on their archtops but use floater electromagnetic pickups. (DeArmond , McCarty etc etc,) The strings are an acoustic string with a higher ferrous metal content to the winding so the wound strings pickup better. It might be one of those neither fish nor fowl things but I thought it worth a try. I think a few brands make them.

However the guys at L & M looked at me like I was nuts and the one asked the other. "Hey this guys looking for some strings with some sort of 'fairy dust' in them. The other guy said mockingly "I don't know if we have any with fairy dust in them but here's 22 types of strings out there so pick the ones you want"...I had to explain to them what ferrous metal was and how electro magnetic pickups work and why electric guitars strings were steel or nickel wound. They didn't know! CRAZY! You would've loved it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation