Miscellaneous Rumbles

J. Geils Found Dead In His Home

When I think J. Geils, I think 'Full House'. RIP...

That's too bad....I was never a huge fan, but some of the early J. Geils stuff was fun to listen to with my friends. I have some very fond memories of driving around listening to J Geils Band with a car full of my buddies....."First, I Look At The Purse".

That's sad. I like J Geils. He made really great quality music.

Sad, indeed. He & his band were a big part of Boston's music scene when I was a teenager . . . RIP, Mr. Geils. They were a very fun party band.

His former bandmate Peter Wolf is still playing out, & recently recorded a nice bluegrass-style cover of the tune that Ric12 posted:

His music was just fun to listen to.

My angel was a centerfold.

Back in the day I spent a lot of time on business nearby Groton in Ayer. J. Geils was their hometown boy. My counterparts and I would trade stories, mine were all George Thorogood, he was my hometown boy.

J. would frequent the restaurant we would go for lunch, but I never got to meet him. They drove me by his place one day...it was a slight detour along the way.

There was a day/week a dozen or so years ago he and I were chasing the same guitar. I never learned, but I think he won!

Good for him, it was an old Epiphone Archtop.

When I think J. Geils, I think 'Full House'. RIP...

– Bluecap

Absolutely.

Later on he became quite a good rootsy jazz player, I have two cd's that I'm quite fond of, Toe Tappin Jazz and Play Jazz.He'll be missed.RIP

He did a couple albums with Duke Robillard as well. I really like the later jazz guitar stuff.

I just saw he passed on Facebook. I'll have to catch up on his solo works but I hope he didn't suffer. May he rest in peace.

Not a huge fan, but he made a lot of FUN music. Rest In Peace...

Sad to hear. I used to listen to Full House a lot. He also had one or two albums with Magic Dick under the name Bluestime.

As best I remember, the Jazz direction was a legacy from his father, who apparently had every great Jazz recording ever made.

Just as that new Jazz era for J. started was when we butted heads hunting for the same guitars with several vintage dealers.

This explains a lot...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

When I think of the J. Giles Band, I think of Bloodshot.

Loved this record as a youngin.

Sad, indeed. He & his band were a big part of Boston's music scene when I was a teenager . . . RIP, Mr. Geils. They were a very fun party band.

His former bandmate Peter Wolf is still playing out, & recently recorded a nice bluegrass-style cover of the tune that Ric12 posted:

– geoguy

That was fun. Thanks for sharing.

JGB was huge in the 70s... great band. He was also a vintage guitar enthusiasts well before many were.

Another band, like "Kool and Gang," where many people, like myself, thought the lead singer was the band leader. It was many years before I knew which member was J. and which member was Peter.

Blessings to those who pass.

...------

I remember going to Ocean City, MD in the summer of 1985 or 1986 and recording "Centerfold" in a store that recorded you singing over a backing track and then gave you a cassette. I still have it somewhere.

Here's a link of Geils doing some jazz for those who may not know. Playing with two heavyweights , Duke Robillard Gerry Beaudoin. BLink

One more, Jay showing off some vintage gits.Link I love where he says he'd rather just do the chunka chunka Freddie Green stuff over the flash riff stuff.Damn, gone way too soon.

The vid showing off his guitar collection has a nice Emperor on the wall.

That must have been the one...Ha!

RIP J.

Here's a link of Geils doing some jazz for those who may not know. Playing with two heavyweights , Duke Robillard Gerry Beaudoin. BLink

– Opie

This was my recent experience with J. Geils. I remember him from his band and all his tunes, but never a follower until I heard him play jazz with Duke. I was not so much stunned at his abilities, but that he only showcased them later in life. RIP.

I live about 5 miles from him. Was big news all day here as you can imagine.

Was not a serious fan, and decidedly not a fan of Peter Wolf. But sad to see him go at a relatively young age.

Chris

I saw them play three times in the early 70's and have to say that few other bands had the energy they did. That Full House era was 200 MPH and a ton of fun.

Register Sign in to join the conversation