John Prine

Radiohead

Rage Against the Machine

Roxy Music

Rufus and Chaka Khan

Todd Rundgren

the Zombies

have at it! my analysis below.

they're being as whimsical as ever in their definition of "rock"; fully 1/4 of the class has never been within ICBM range of "rock." which, of course, means that some of them will be voted in as part of the RRHOF's continuing project of subsuming everything interesting in American music into their rockist narrative. and even by typical definition, some of these artists shouldn't be anywhere near the running. Def Leppard? seriously? Rage Against The Machine?

as usual, it comes down to a popularity vs. quality and influence question, which the RRHOF has repeatedly decided in favor of popularity. all you have to do is notice that Green Day and Bon Jovi are in the RRHOF.

i rather like the Cure, but i can't see having them in the HOF over Joy Division, the port that launched a thousand ships. even proposing Def Leppard, who are really only notable for their drummer's heroic comeback after losing an arm in an auto accident, is silly. Devo were a trailblazing group with an utterly unique approach. Janet Jackson is not only not rock, she's not even that good. Kraftwerk literally changed the world; IMO the entire EDM movement and much of post-punk's romance with synths and drum machines would never have existed without their example. LL Cool J: cool, but not rock. MC5 had no songs, terrible vocals, and weren't nearly as influential as the unreconstructed 60s/70s types at the RRHOF would like to imagine they were. Stevie Nicks deserves to be in as part of the Mac, but her solo career was utterly inconsequential after a couple of hits, and if that's the standard then Marty Balin should be in as an individual, too. John Prine had a brilliant early streak, but is even less "rock" than Loudon Wainwright III. Radiohead are the best band of the 21st century. Rage Against The Machine were probably nominated as a political gesture with which i sympathize, but they're simply not on a RRHOF level. i'm not nuts about Roxy Music, but they were undeniably important as a bridge between prog and glam and were quite influential, especially overseas; they also spawned Eno and Ferry as solo artists who each cut a broad swath through their chosen field. (and why isn't Eno in the RRHOF? he's certainly been more influential than, say, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and deserves to be in just for his production work with everyone from the Talking Heads to U2.) Rufus and Chaka Khan? not rock, and not great. Rundgren? i'll probably offend some people by saying that i think Todd, some of whose work i like, is about as over-rated an artist as there is this side of Van Morrison. did he ever cut a whole album of consistently good material, even in the Nazz? and the Zombies were OK enough, but were really a minor band.

who should get in: Radiohead, Kraftwerk, Devo, probably Roxy Music.

who probably will get in: Radiohead, Stevie Nicks, Kraftwerk, the Zombies.

fwiw Stevie and Def Leppard are out in front of the fan vote [eyeroll].

I think Devo, Kraftwerk, Todd Rundgren, The Zombies & Stevie Nicks will get in.

Stevie Nicks, for her association with Fleetwood Mac over her solo material, but she had a few hits, and sold a bunch of records. She gets the popular vote.

The Zombies because they had a few really distinctive hits, not sounding like anyone else, and have stood the test of time.

Todd Rundgren because...where do you start? Where do you end? Player, Artist, Performer, Producer, Composer...he's done it all at the highest level for the longest time. That oughtta count for something.

Kraftwerk, much for the same reasons you mentioned, Macphisto. Total game changers, and music would never be the same after them. A huge ripple effect.

Devo. After spending an afternoon in Akron, Ohio, I got the feel as to why Devo could only have happened there. Rocking on their own terms, making their voice heard through embracing "new" mediums, and keeping the balance between absurdity and reality in their shows, lyrics, and music. It's time.

there was a lot of great, mad-ass music that came out of Ohio back in those days. i'm not sure what was in the water that was responsible for Devo and Pere Ubu, but i'd like to have my drink spiked with it.

I actually think it's a pretty good batch of nominees this year.

I'm with you, macphisto. Perhaps the Zombies too. Truth be known last year's choices were more compelling. This year? Meh.

If Root-Boy Slim ain't in, it's all an exercise in futility.

The Cure I can see that.

Def Leppard Why not?

Devo Absolutely!

Janet Jackson I get it but don't fully agree.

Kraftwerk Hell Yes!

LL Cool J Wha?

MC5 Oh hell yes!

Stevie Nicks Whatever.

John Prine Rock, really?

Radiohead Sure.

Rage Against the Machine I agree.

Roxy Music Yep!

Rufus and Chaka Khan Same yep!

Todd Rundgren Seriously,he's not already in?

the Zombies Seriously, they're not already in?

I just voted for....guess who....(NO, NOT "them").....TODD RUNDGREN!

Todd and the Zombies. Come on folks, they should have been "in" a long time ago.

The RRHOF nominations always get a lot of publicity. I wonder if that's because they deliberately choose controversial nominees, hmmm?

From a British perspective Sister Rosetta's performance filmed on a railway platform in 1964 was, I would say, massively influential in all sorts of ways. From her personal majesty, her gender (as a guitarist), her kick-ass guitar and playing, her voice, to the culture she represented and so many embraced, something entirely unprecedented for us happened on that platform. I think it's still influential now.

IMO, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has become as (or maybe even less) relevant as Rolling Stone magazine's ridiculous "100 top guitar players" lists used to be. When they failed to induct Link Wray (and inducted Bon Jovi!!!) last year, it's pretty obvious that the "fame" part is more important than "rock and roll". But of course, with both Madonna and Tupac as hall of fame'rs, the "rock" has been lost for years.

Carry on. I'm out. ;)

Anders

the only part of the RRHOF lists that i respect is the Ahmet Ertegun and Non-performer awards, which really do honor people who were arguably the real movers and shakers: Ahmet, Brian Epstein, Glyn Johns, Bill Graham, David Geffen, Lieber and Stoller, Goffin and King, Jerry Wexler, Leonard Chess, Mo Ostin, and the rest of the folks who made the music business more than just a way to separate fans and performers from their money. they really, really should have John Peel in there, though...he was certainly the most influential radio jock in England from the late 60s until his death in 2004, and helped break everyone from Tyrannosaurus Rex to the Fall.

Umm, Def Leppard's second album, "High 'n' Dry," was AWESOME, and pure hard rock/heavy metal.

"Pyromania" was huge, and almost as good. I won't give a ton of votes for the next couple of albums since they decided to write rock songs/ballads for girls, but Def Leppard was great.

They deserve it, despite what some forum members think.

The Cure, Kraftwerk, Devo, Radiohead, even Roxy Music? Those are more new wave or glitter to me, but I like them all.

Non-rock acts deserving? Naa, that's nothing new, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame does what it wants.

...------

I just voted for....guess who....(NO, NOT "them").....TODD RUNDGREN!

– Toddfan

Why the hell not? The Guess Who have yet to be nominated. They are my list of overlooked bands that includes the Zombies! Good for them!

Now how about... - Dick Dale - Johnny Burnette - Richard Berry

Dick Dale should certainly be in there.

Umm, Def Leppard's second album, "High 'n' Dry," was AWESOME, and pure hard rock/heavy metal.

"Pyromania" was huge, and almost as good. I won't give a ton of votes for the next couple of albums since they decided to write rock songs/ballads for girls, but Def Leppard was great.

They deserve it, despite what some forum members think.

The Cure, Kraftwerk, Devo, Radiohead, even Roxy Music? Those are more new wave or glitter to me, but I like them all.

Non-rock acts deserving? Naa, that's nothing new, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame does what it wants.

...------

– indianation65

High 'n Dry is as much a classic to me as Back in Black and produced by the same guy. The Cure should have already been in. Radiohead, I love their second and third albums and like the rest so yes. Todd? Sure!

Pray for Todd, then pray he shows up....

He might just book the biggest Venue in Town the same night, and Sell Out!

Cleveland loves "The Todd is God"...

My wife and I saw him at the Front Row Theater in Cleveland/Highland Heights during the "Acapella" Tour...

I think Tubwompus probably was there, too...

The “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame” is simply a Participation Trophy.

"Open My Eyes" endures to this day as a great RnR song...Todd wrote it in 1967.

He did the Berkeley College of Music Commencement Address last year, that probably means more to him than the RnRHOF.

the more i look at the RRHOF the more i think the whole thing should be blown up and started over. no "early influences," no hip-hop bands, no pop singers, just proper rock.

And still no X.

Register Sign in to join the conversation