Miscellaneous Rumbles

It’s RRHOF Time Again!

Yes, that time again when we get to rip into the selection of nominees and ask why (fill in the blank) isn't already in and such. So let's get this outta the way:

https://www.rockhall.com/no...

And again with Rappers and Hip-Hop artists.

The RRHOF never had any street cred to begin with, so I don't even bother slicing and dicing their "nominees". It's always been a farce... why would you expect anything different this year?

It's a self-serving circle-fest....

There are some members who may have done good things but still how they wound up in RRHoF really mystifies me...

This is from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website

NEW YORK (February 10, 2021) — The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced today the following Nominees for 2021 Induction:

• Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • JAY-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

May as well let them all in. I'm not familiar with Fela Kuti so I looked him up. I don't know his music but he was an interesting character for sure!

Are we really still complaining about hip hop in the hall of fame? It's 2021 for pete's sake

I know Otter but heck, it ain't Rock-n-Roll to me.

I've never heard of Fela Kuti either but I imagine he deserves it better than a rapper, JMO. I had to look him up too.

If you listen to interviews of artists and their own views of the RRHOF it's usually an eyeroll comment at best. I hold way more value in the Musicians hall of fame in Nashville.

Still not inducted...

1. Richard Berry
  2. Johnny Burnette & the Rock 'n' Roll Trio
  3. The Guess Who
  4. Dick Dale

Listening to Fela Kuti will improve your life tenfold but rock and roll he wasn’t.

I’d recommend him to anyone, heavy afrobeat gets me going.

Are we really still complaining about hip hop in the hall of fame? It's 2021 for pete's sake

– Otter

It's 2021, yes, and guess what, hip hop still isn't rock and roll.

The NY Dolls re-invented RnR and aren't in yet. That's ridiculous. As much as that Motörhead didn't make it last year (or any other year before). I'm far from complaining, I just don't care about the RRHOF.

It's 2021, yes, and guess what, hip hop still isn't rock and roll.

– Bonedaddy

Ok boomer

Listening to Fela Kuti will improve your life tenfold but rock and roll he wasn’t.

I’d recommend him to anyone, heavy afrobeat gets me going.

– Tsar Nicholas

I could not agree more.

Ok boomer

– Otter

LOL... not even close to being a 'boomer'

P.S..... Hip Hop still isn't rock and roll.

They've had more than one chance to induct Link Wray and didn't do it. What more needs to be said?

– Otter

Oh yes, it’s 2021, we must be inclusive and diverse. Puke.

Oh come now, it's not that bad, by RRHoF standards.

I mean, where is King Crimson, of course, and XTC...but there are some names here I can get behind (accepting that the Cleveland gatekeepers' definition of "rock & roll" is pretty amorphous).

As far as I'm concerned, Kate Bush can be the Queen of Anything, anytime anyone wants to make her so. There needs to be a category above "Hall of Fame" for Kate. Queen of the Universe? I don't think of her as rock & roll, but see above, and hell yeah!

And if we wanted to make it The Year of the Woman (and why not?), Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, The Go-Go’s, and - oksure - Carole King make out a nice roster.

Leaving out considerations of, uh, diversity which might admit some of the other names (about whom I know too little to pontificate), I submit that these rockers deserve at least as much recognition as the honor confers:

• Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • Iron Maiden
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Todd Rundgren

None of which replace any of those who richly deserve and have not been included. But to my memory, there are fewer outright howlers on this list than in ages past.

I know the NY Dolls get a lot of love and I certainly remember them in publications like Circus and Cream magazines but for me they were an unknown entity. They didn't receive any airtime on rock stations in Houston, as far as I remember they didn't make the rounds of national rock TV shows like ABC's In Concert or The Midnight Special. Perhaps they appeared on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert but not that I remember. As for Devo, yeah, they were everywhere! But again I sort of look at them as a one album wonder. I guess the bar has been lowered after the Hall inducted all the obvious choices.

You’re missing out on many fantastic Devo albums then!

This is the new normal? We live in a world where a governor receives an Emmy? Did anyone watch the Super Bowl half time show? “Where have all the good times gone?”

Just let Todd in and send the rest home.

Unless like many here, he just isn’t interested.

Tsar, I didn't say Devo lacked a body of work but as I was a 20-something back then, it was that first album that captured the public's interest. As for Todd, he wore a lot of hats back then. He certainly deserves his kudos. And Devo wouldn't be the first band to get in on the strength their most commercially successful work. I would absolutely choose Devo over most of this year's nominees.

They skipped over me again, but at least the Go-Gos made it!

I know the NY Dolls get a lot of love and I certainly remember them in publications like Circus and Cream magazines but for me they were an unknown entity. They didn't receive any airtime on rock stations in Houston, as far as I remember they didn't make the rounds of national rock TV shows like ABC's In Concert or The Midnight Special. Perhaps they appeared on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert but not that I remember. As for Devo, yeah, they were everywhere! But again I sort of look at them as a one album wonder. I guess the bar has been lowered after the Hall inducted all the obvious choices.

– razzer10_4

I’m thrilled to see the Dolls on there, they are one of my all time favorite bands! As far as being relatively unknown, I’d agree with that but go on to say that their influence is immense and inspired many many very well known bands, and that to me is what it’s about; not just their specific small body of work but their hand in changing the course of a style of music.

Register Sign in to join the conversation